What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

A really productive day. With temperatures in the 60's I decided to tackle four different jobs in the same area: clean the radiators, replace the frunk latch and actuator, reroute the emergency release cable to the tow hook position, and install screens in the radiator inlets.

Getting the bumper cover off wasn't difficult. The plastic rivets holding the right side wheel liner were a pain in the butt. They were the kinds where you have to insert a screw driver to pull the lock pin out. I fortunately have better rivets in stock and will use them when I put the liners back in.

The condensers and radiators had a fair bit of gunk and leaves in them and most of it was easily removable with a soft brush.

The latch replacement was a little bit tricky. I had a used replacement from Woody, but it was from an earlier model. I didn't realize that the 2004 S has an actuator that prevents you from opening the latch, apparently part of the anti-theft system. The replacement latch didn't have the fitting for that, so I just removed the cable for the anti-theft actuator. Also, the height of the front lid is adjustable by moving the latch up and down. I was lucky and got it in the right position right away. Hopefully this has fixed the problem where I couldn't open the frunk when the car got really hot on the track or autocross. While I was at it I rerouted the emergency cable to the tow hook location.

The final task was to install screens in the grilles. I had bought black gutter screens at Home Depot and cut them to size and attached them with small black tie wraps. Looks great.

I'm going to finish putting everything together tomorrow and detail the car if I have the energy.

7 hours ago, Sazzy said:

No paint damage thankfully, I'm not sure, but looking online it doesn't seem to be an uncommon fault for these cables to fail over time.

Will ring OPC tomorrow and order a cable. I don't think refitting the cable looks too bad, it's going to be getting everything perfectly re aligned that's going to be a challenge.

Supposed to be driving to Sussex in it on Thursday eve so looks like that won't happen now. 

You're right, it's not that bad a job to do, just a bit fiddly.  I had it happen to mine last summer when miles from home and had to disconnect it from the ball joints before slowly driving it home.

The Bentley manual was very detailed in showing how to replace the cable and resetting the drive gearbox if you need to. I also had to straighten the clamshell with my OH's help which had become slightly bent as a result of twisting and wouldn't sit right after replacing the drive cable. 

Hope you get it sorted!

43 minutes ago, Bluepork03 said:

You're right, it's not that bad a job to do, just a bit fiddly.  I had it happen to mine last summer when miles from home and had to disconnect it from the ball joints before slowly driving it home.

The Bentley manual was very detailed in showing how to replace the cable and resetting the drive gearbox if you need to. I also had to straighten the clamshell with my OH's help which had become slightly bent as a result of twisting and wouldn't sit right after replacing the drive cable. 

Hope you get it sorted!

Thanks, I was lucky it happened at home although before I was taking it out in the sun...

I don't have the Bentley manual sadly, but there's a bit about it in the 101 projects book and hopefully some YouTube vids.

1 minute ago, Sazzy said:

Thanks, I was lucky it happened at home although before I was taking it out in the sun...

I don't have the Bentley manual sadly, but there's a bit about it in the 101 projects book and hopefully some YouTube vids.

There's definitely a YT video of two blokes straightening the clamshell. If you do need more info I could post some of the relevant chapters from the Bentley manual if it helps.

Good luck!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bluepork03 said:

There's definitely a YT video of two blokes straightening the clamshell. If you do need more info I could post some of the relevant chapters from the Bentley manual if it helps.

Good luck!

Thanks that's very kind, I'll shout you if I get stuck!

Edited by Sazzy

16 minutes ago, Topbox said:

@Bluepork03 what is the Bently manual sir ? Very impressed you and Sazzy are fixing your roofs. The mechanism just looks like  the devils rat trap to me ?

Hi Bob, it's  the Workshop manual for the 986. Much like a Haynes manual only much more expensive! ?

4 hours ago, Bluepork03 said:

Hi Bob, it's  the Workshop manual for the 986. Much like a Haynes manual only much more expensive! ?

4 hours ago, Patt said:

It's way better than a Haynes manual, but at £80 was a tad expensive. 

Thank you Al & Patt - its for a Porsche, its the Bently manual why am I not surprised its a tad expensive ? Enjoy the Alps and Le Mans guys !

9 hours ago, Topbox said:

Very impressed you and Sazzy are fixing your roofs. The mechanism just looks like  the devils rat trap to me ?

I might do another 'How to' if it goes ok.

Fitted a Dansk exhaust system, fortunately Ray Northway had fitted new rear cats prior to sellng to the previous owner less than 1k miles back so all the screws were nice and clean,  not so the clamps for the back box that I had to chop off in the end, removal took about three and a half hours inc taking the bumper and spoiler off, refitting about two hours including a trip to buy some new M8 nuts and bolts to replace all those that sheered off...I wont be taking this lot off for a while (i hope). Also did an oil change this week using the recently certified by Porsche, Millers synthetic, it was last done around 700 miles and 20 months ago but it had a new ims fitted at the same time so clean oil and a new filter seemed a sensible thing to do in case there was any rsidual debris knocking around in the block.

BTW the Dansk, OEM lookalike, is VERY subtle, adds a very mild timbre to the sound with no booming etc, if your oem exhaust is shot i would give it a try as a replacament, fitted perfectly too and on offer at Design911. My insurer chargd me zero to make the change which was nice.

Keith

Edited by huytonman

Started my roof fix, 2hrs resulted in all the right side dismantled, the old drive cable out and new one fitted. Gear mechanism aligned but ran out of time to do anymore. Bentley manual so helpful but it's not horrifically complicated.  

This is what my mashed up cable looked like ! ?

cmUCBlp.jpg

• Like 1

Had a reasonably productive evening after a largely unproductive day watching the fabulous wedding and terrible FA cup final. Since changing the coolant tank etc a few weeks ago, I have had the low level warning light flashing. Decided finally to investigate fully and stripped out boot carpets and removed bolts on new tank in order to get the level sensor out and have a look at it. Played around with a magnet on the contacts on the sensor but hard to see anything as so small. Also probed around the float in the tank with a screwdriver, seemed to be ok. Then jacked up the rear of the car in preparation for more drawn out bleeding. Amazingly, the warning light stopped when I started up. Not sure what it was that solved the problem but delighted with the result.

Also fitted my recently won e bay bonnet badge. Bidding stopped at £28 which I thought was very reasonable considering its great condition. Really primative bolt arrangement for fitting though. Managed to sheer off one side on the old one while trying to remove it.

The one on the car had annoyed me since I purchased it. There was damage to the centre part, I think caused by the previous owner closing the bonnet by pushing on the badge. Likely the flexing did it. Now got the old badge on my garage wall beside the other removed badges.

Here you can see the damage:

Finished off my evening session with a Gliptone treatment of the leather. Been taking a pounding from increased heat in the sun of late. And cue red  leather interior picture. Well we do like our pictures don't we? Lol

A really productive day. With temperatures in the 60's I decided to tackle four different jobs in the same area: clean the radiators, replace the frunk latch and actuator, reroute the emergency release cable to the tow hook position, and install screens in the radiator inlets.

Getting the bumper cover off wasn't difficult. The plastic rivets holding the right side wheel liner were a pain in the butt. They were the kinds where you have to insert a screw driver to pull the lock pin out. I fortunately have better rivets in stock and will use them when I put the liners back in.

The condensers and radiators had a fair bit of gunk and leaves in them and most of it was easily removable with a soft brush.

The latch replacement was a little bit tricky. I had a used replacement from Woody, but it was from an earlier model. I didn't realize that the 2004 S has an actuator that prevents you from opening the latch, apparently part of the anti-theft system. The replacement latch didn't have the fitting for that, so I just removed the cable for the anti-theft actuator. Also, the height of the front lid is adjustable by moving the latch up and down. I was lucky and got it in the right position right away. Hopefully this has fixed the problem where I couldn't open the frunk when the car got really hot on the track or autocross. While I was at it I rerouted the emergency cable to the tow hook location.

The final task was to install screens in the grilles. I had bought black gutter screens at Home Depot and cut them to size and attached them with small black tie wraps. Looks great.

I'm going to finish putting everything together tomorrow and detail the car if I have the energy.

A few days later: After finishing the above project I discovered that the right side radiator fan wasn't running when the AC is on. After swapping fuses and relays with no result I decided to take a chance and assume that it was the fan that was bad. I am doing an autocross tomorrow and a DE a week from Monday and was not comfortable with doing either with a dead fan. Ordered one from Pelican with two day delivery and read up on replacement in the Bentley and 101 Projects books. Looked complicated and it really was. Not helped by corroded clips, brittle plastic and cross-threaded screws. Assembly was infinitely harder than disassembly. The fan shroud is especially difficult to be placed right and the radiator bracket only goes on one way, which is not described in either manual.

Cart passed DE inspection with no problems.

7 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

Also fitted my recently won e bay bonnet badge. Bidding stopped at £28 which I thought was very reasonable considering its great condition.

Ah so it was you who beat me in the final second!! :competitive:

Just arrived back from a long weekend with the wife in Harrogate.

Our first long run in Leo but all good. I was a bit nervous, if I’m honest, as my last long run ended with me blowing up the water pump and being recovered home.

Did find the back of the seats getting quite hot though. Is that normal? I know the engine is right behind them but the carpet wasn’t that warm to touch.

Off out to de-cemetery the bumper and windscreen as I’m off to Rotterdam in him tomorrow. (Added Euro breakdown last week, let’s hope I don’t need it.)

8 hours ago, Sazzy said:

☺️

Porsche bonnet badge probably cheaper than £28 from the OPC.