What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Also advisory on minor cracking in tread on fronts which are only on 5.5mm but are 5 years old

I replaced all four tyres a couple of months ago. They were all 5 years + old (but were worn out). Cannot believe the difference it has made. Smoother quieter ride and  loads more grip. Get them changed soonest! 😎

Dave

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Went for MOT and failed 🙁.  Two small things, one fixed before I left which was side repeaters in de-ambered lights had lost their orangeness, solved before paperwork was done as there was a motor factor next door (this can be a contentious fail but to be fair the orange coating had pretty much fully flaked off the old bulbs), and corrosion on brake line around clip under passenger (left) seat.  Tester wouldn't let me pop it out of clip whilst in his bay in case the pipe failed but now just looks like some minor surface corrosion.  He's said as long as it is rust free when he sees it again within the next 10 days he'll OK it and issue certificate.  Also advisory on minor cracking in tread on fronts which are only on 5.5mm but are 5 years old...  PO only did 7000 miles in 9 years and had to replace rears for same reason last MOT so at least the really expensive ones don't need doing again yet...

Also 4 stalk column switch assembly arrived for me to start on cruise retro fit.  Any takers for 3 stalk OBC switch assembly?

I have a broken indicator on my 4 stalk but I think I can retro fit my CC onto a 3 stalk. How much were you thinking of?

11 hours ago, entdgc said:

I replaced all four tyres a couple of months ago. They were all 5 years + old (but were worn out). Cannot believe the difference it has made. Smoother quieter ride and  loads more grip. Get them changed soonest! 😎

Dave

I plan to, current fronts are N rated Bridgestone S-02, rears the PO fitted last year are Nanking...  I guess he got the cheapest he could if he was planning to get rid.  Can't afford all 4 currently but will do fronts in next month or two.

As 1/2cwt says, just changing my two rears made a hell of a difference to handling !   I have Bridgestone N rated all round

5 hours ago, GmanB said:

Just fitted my refurbished 18" summer wheels with a new set of rear tyres along with new stainless steel wheel bolts and new centre caps courtesy of @marts500. They make the rest of the car look a bit scruffy now. 

NB8koPW.jpg

I didn't k how he was supplying stainless steel bolts now as well as centre caps.

I can recommend his centre caps had none on now a few years and they look better than the rest of my car.

25 minutes ago, John2000 said:

I didn't k how he was supplying stainless steel bolts now as well as centre caps.

I can recommend his centre caps had none on now a few years and they look better than the rest of my car.

Apologies, bolts were from design911.

So, set out to address the corrosion on the brake line that filed the MOT, see above.  Opened up the car, though I'll let both windows down to cool it and as the passenger side went down, crunch.  Window regulator now U/S.  Have got the window more or less up and as I have a half cover no worries about water ingress.

Any good/bad advice on replacement process and or second hand (£75-80), Porsche OE (£260) or other OEM spec (£100-180) replacement part?

I did at least finally fir the two air deflectors to the front of the wheel arches and even had to drill out two of the self tappers that secure them, had spares fortunately so one job complete. 👍

Oh, and the brake line shows slight pitting even after a through clean and a bit of ticking with emery cloth, so I guess it will not be passed. Old cars eh? ☹️

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Any good/bad advice on replacement process and or second hand (£75-80), Porsche OE (£260) or other OEM spec (£100-180) replacement part?

The new non OEM ones have a habit of not lasting long. 

8 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

The new non OEM ones have a habit of not lasting long. 

UFO - You fit often then...  By the way I have found a broken rusted steel cable from the mechanism during further investigation so motor seems will be OK.

I'll scrub that option and risk one from a breaker first simply on budget. Even if I need another in a couple of years , A I'll know how to do it and B it will still be only 2/3rds of new Porsche OE plus I'll have a spare motor too.

Any tips on removal/fitting process?

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:23 PM, ½cwt said:

So, set out to address the corrosion on the brake line that filed the MOT, see above.  Opened up the car, though I'll let both windows down to cool it and as the passenger side went down, crunch.  Window regulator now U/S.  Have got the window more or less up and as I have a half cover no worries about water ingress.

I did at least finally fir the two air deflectors to the front of the wheel arches and even had to drill out two of the self tappers that secure them, had spares fortunately so one job complete. 👍

Oh, and the brake line shows slight pitting even after a through clean and a bit of ticking with emery cloth, so I guess it will not be passed. Old cars eh? ☹️

I have just posted a thread on the regulator swap... Went 2nd hand and greased it all before assembly. Sime decent YouTube vids to guide... Mark positions of glass in clamps and location of bottom guides before removing. 

Replaced the fuel filter... Urghhh what a horrible job. Lying on my back with hardly any access due to the location in the middle of the underside. 

Filter was the original dated November 98, with 115000 miles. Somewhat over the specified 48000 mile replacement schedule. 

Plenty of brown crud came out!

1 hour ago, jonogt6 said:

Replaced the fuel filter... Urghhh what a horrible job. Lying on my back with hardly any access due to the location in the middle of the underside. 

Filter was the original dated November 98, with 115000 miles. Somewhat over the specified 48000 mile replacement schedule. 

Plenty of brown crud came out!

I should have a look at doing this to my car, as I suspect mine has never been changed either. Does it have really awkward clip things to deal with?

2 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

I should have a look at doing this to my car, as I suspect mine has never been changed either. Does it have really awkward clip things to deal with?

The clips that attach the fuel lines to the canister separated really easily. It's just the inaccessibility hidden away behind the coolant pipes that make it difficult. My ramps are rather low(or im too fat!) so it made everything hard work. 

Cleaned and reproofed the hood. Gave the rest of the car a good wash and as per my comment the other day on always finding something new every wash, I noticed that the paint is flaking on one of my alloys! They were refurbed less than 2 years ago, is this normal?