What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Can't believe this thread dropped to page 2! Has no one else been doing any tinkering?

Today I have solved the lack of interior lights in my car that's been there since I got it.  After getting wiring diagrams and other advice from @Richard Hamilton The background to the fault was in the alarm control module which has obviously got wet at one time at least in the past.  The good fortune was that is has only stopped the power getting to the interior light circuit.  Lost of contact cleaner removed any corrosion residue but did not bring ti back to life.  So after further advice on a hack to solve the problem, today I've cut in to another 12v supply to make a supply for this circuit to by-pass the alarm module and low and behold interior lights! :thumbsup_still:

Better than that I've also fitted the face lift interior light as the unit I bought I asked the break to include the loom connector wiring so a simple 3 spade connector crimping session to plug the newer connector into the original loom plug and I now have the much better looking later interior light and even the soft yellow background light flooding the console area! :rocks:

Hmm 🤔 What next?

Edited by ½cwt

I did the Crios Mod (on a 2004 Boxster S)

It was remarkably easy - I used a 14mm square section steel bar sharpened to an asymmetric point and I didn't even have to hit it that hard - and now I have a nice square bypass hole in each of the outlet pipes.

If you are thinking of doing this - go ahead! It's amazing. The car used to sound (to my ears) very tame - like a normal saloon (until the induction howl sets in), but now it sounds (again, to my ears) absolutely fabulous. It sounds like a sports car should but is not too loud. It's the Goldilocks of exhaust notes. And it didn't cost me a penny.

I am one very happy bunny :)

1 hour ago, capn_banks said:

took mine for MOT at the indy, first since I purchased. Failed on front discs and pads, central brake line corrosion, broken coil spring and track rod end OSF plus many advisories. It's going to be a big bill!

Although it's not due for a while, I'm taking mine (which Ihave owned for 1 week) for an MoT tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's ok, but after reading yours.... :(

Is the indy going to fix it or will you do your own?

A lot of people say an MOT gives you a list of things to fix, but here's the issue with that:

On a fail certificate, under the new rules, you might get 'Do not drive until repaired' like I have. Even if you have an MOT still in date, you cannot legally drive away. I think the fine is £2500 (plus £1000 if MOT expired).

I could have saved a lot of money doing the work myself but I would have to add the cost of breakdown truck and a hire car etc, or the risk of the fine. Perhaps it's worth asking the garage for a pre-MOT inspection?

Edited by capn_banks
  • Sad 1

+1

Go for a pre MOT inspection, not a formal MOT.  That way you find the faults that are most likely to be an MOT issue (you can never be sure as testers are human and see different things different ways...) but they don't appear on the car's record, just on your To Do list.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

Fixed the popped (missing) headlight washer jet...

I never knew they lifted up until I filmed this :)

See the video description for part number.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:55 AM, dieselpower said:

Removed all 4 wheels, thoroughly cleaned and then ceramic coated them with Gtechniq C5 wheel armour.  Look fab now and should be a lot easier to clean :)

Same here. Plus gave the wheel arches a good clean. The coffin arms seem to double as gravel collectors too.... which is nice.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:55 PM, Jules74 said:

Same here. Plus gave the wheel arches a good clean. The coffin arms seem to double as gravel collectors too.... which is nice.

It's amazing stuff.  I've been using it since 2012 and it skoosh of Bilberry wheel cleaner and a hose down with the pressure washer is usually all that's needed to keep them clean :)

• Like 1

So 365 days of Porsche ownership as of today!

Took it to Tyres Northampton this morning to get an out of true front wheel straightened.  It was only really detectable as a problem over about 70mph and only really noticeable above 80mph so I only really notice it on the continent 😉.  Great service as always with caution about the possibility of cracking the alloy and so on.  Went ahead with it and even thought they didn't charge the full rate (£40 instead of £75) as they said they couldn't get it perfect but they did rebalance the other front too, no sign of wheel vibrations at all now :thumbsup_still:

Only one job that was needed when I bought it or that's come along this year that is out standing now which is a front to rear brake line replacement.

It took it to Le Mans this year and really it was a PITA on the autoroute, so much so that we stayed on the legendary old N138 (mostly now D338 or D438) most of the way from Le Mans to Rouen in both directions. 

Today's test to prove the fix was near Northampton del Sol... 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sazzy said:

Finally got it home in my garage, only bought the house a year ago ! :laugh:

7LkpWyx.jpg

I've got the same red flag in my garage. 

18 hours ago, some bloke said:

I fitted an ashtray-delete thing:

The ashtray wouldn't stay shut and I'm a non-smoker, so it made sense.

And gives some storage at least with the console delete too.

• Like 1