What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, stupidget said:

Just about to go and pick mine up from it's MOT where it's passed with no advisories.  I must admit that I expected it to fail on emissions due to the cloud of white smoke it chucks out on a cold morning, but as I took it for a drive before dropping it off I have dodged that MOT bullet. Would that be classed as cheating?

My understanding is the cloud of smoke on start up is a design quirk of the flat 6 engine, and shouldn't have any relevance to the MOT emissions test.  If it was still chucking smoke out after a few mins warm up time, I'd be more worried... 

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Darkstar thought he’d delay getting new tyres to spend money on other bits. Then he wrote the car off. 

You may be making a very expensive saving. 

Typo above, 2018 actually rears, code 1318, (fitted by PO to pass MOT in May 2018) and 2019 fronts, code 1119, fitted to replace 5 year old Bridgestone's last May even though they had passed the MOT.  How new do tyres need to be? 

IIRC Darkstar's' were nearer 10 years old which is a different kettle of fish and I believe I put in my critique at the time...  I know the island that he tripped up on and it is also often treated with a nice thin film of diesel just to make it that bit more slippery in the wet particularly on old tyres.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Typo above, 2018 actually rears, code 1318, (fitted by PO to pass MOT in May 2018) and 2019 fronts, code 1119, fitted to replace 5 year old Bridgestone's last May even though they had passed the MOT.  How new do tyres need to be? 

I’m not thinking so much of the age of the tyres, more that the car spun out when you didn’t expect it. Anyway good luck. 

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I’m not thinking so much of the age of the tyres, more that the car spun out when you didn’t expect it. Anyway good luck. 

Not sure about the expensive saving then...  However it was at all of 10 mph, that was the 'interesting' bit when the car behaves quite well even in the wet at higher speeds.  1st gear, peak torque, low grip conditions. I caught it and sorted it in a split second, no spin as such, just got my attention.

45 minutes ago, Darren Sapsford said:

It's kept at a friend's garage. I don't really need to go there as it's a weekend car and I,m busy delivering loads of food atm.

Fair play to you sir, keep the country going in these difficult times.

Nothing special but have been meaning to do them for a while. Replaced the petrol cap as the rubber cord had snapped and replace registration plate bulbs. Car is going to get terribly dirty over the next 12+ weeks, I may have to clean it myself.

Had a couple of days off work waiting for materials to arrive at work so had a go at painting a spare centre console body colour (Nachtblau/Midnight Blue) that I've had in the garage for a couple of months. It doesn't actually look that different to the black soft-touch (scratched) plastic one I took out, but I think it looks smarter. Also replaced the CD storage module with a storage tray I scored on eBay.

TJIyvjP.jpg

ydVoT6b.jpg

7 minutes ago, some bloke said:

Washed and waxed it, and polished all the glass yesterday. I'm planning an oil change when the oil arrives too. I like working from home.

It certainly has its benefits

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bluepork03 said:

Had a couple of days off work waiting for materials to arrive at work so had a go at painting a spare centre console body colour (Nachtblau/Midnight Blue) that I've had in the garage for a couple of months. It doesn't actually look that different to the black soft-touch (scratched) plastic one I took out, but I think it looks smarter. Also replaced the CD storage module with a storage tray I scored on eBay.

Interesting, looks good.  I've toyed with doing this body colour console this but my car is Arctic Silver and like you I have the ash tray delete.  Not sure how the black would work against the silver or do I get that painted too? however I do have to get the front bumper resprayed at some point.  Unfortunately I don't have a spare console so it is a one time decision.

Edited by ½cwt

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Interesting, looks good.  I've toyed with doing this body colour console this but my car is Arctic Silver and like you I have the ash tray delete.  Not sure how the black would work against the silver or do I get that painted too? however I do have to get the front bumper resprayed at some point.  Unfortunately I don't have a spare console so it is a one time decision.

Thanks. I almost went with silver to match the gear nob and handbrake but got talked out of it by another forum member. I've seen a console in silver and like it a lot, really lifts the interior.  

1 minute ago, Bluepork03 said:

Thanks. I almost went with silver to match the gear nob and handbrake but got talked out of it by another forum member. I've seen a console in silver and like it a lot, really lifts the interior.  

Did I get the right impression that you DIY sprayed it?  If so what was your process in terms of prep, prime, colour coat(s) and lacquer (if any)?

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Did I get the right impression that you DIY sprayed it?  If so what was your process in terms of prep, prime, colour coat(s) and lacquer (if any)?

Shipmate,

Try this, its very possible to do it yourself, but in truth may be cheaper to ask someone else to do it!

Happy to answer any questions.

AaS

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Unfortunately I don't have a spare console so it is a one time decision.

Have an interior trim bundle available which would allow you to colour code your console, vents and some elements of the door trim:

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Yes I did. I was looking for the thread I'd seen that was similar to how I did mine, but @allatsea beat me to it.

The most time consuming part is the prep and removing the soft touch coating.

4 hours ago, Bluepork03 said:

Yes I did. I was looking for the thread I'd seen that was similar to how I did mine, but @allatsea beat me to it.

The most time consuming part is the prep and removing the soft touch coating.

I feared as much.  It scuffs up easily but I guess is then a sod to remove.

4 hours ago, map said:

Have an interior trim bundle available which would allow you to colour code your console, vents and some elements of the door trim:

Hmmm get thee behind me Satan, 'cos I've been thinking about leather covering the door handle and door bin covers too.

4 hours ago, allatsea said:

Shipmate,

Try this, its very possible to do it yourself, but in truth may be cheaper to ask someone else to do it!

Happy to answer any questions.

AaS

Brilliant, I've bookmarked this thread, great info on it.

I opened the garage to check mine was still there earlier 😁 I started it up and left it running for a few mins to keep the battery charged and pump some oil around etc. (not sure if this is a good idea or not?)

ed0mqTg.jpg

Continuing to refurbish Centre caps...I have subsequently already bought a nice original very good condition set that would have been too good to miss! BUT! Covid-19 means I have a bit of time to play and already had the black paint and tiny paint brush!

npkN2A8.jpg