What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, t-leut said:

Put a Porsche-decal on my spoiler... Still don't know if it's "cool" or "too much" ?

Also changed my wheel center caps 😉 

What do you think?

G2wF9IO.jpg

vK5lap8.jpg

I quite like the decal. And top marks for aligning the centre caps correctly! 

2 hours ago, t-leut said:

Put a Porsche-decal on my spoiler... Still don't know if it's "cool" or "too much" ?

Also changed my wheel center caps 😉 

What do you think?

G2wF9IO.jpg

vK5lap8.jpg

Sticker looks good, subtle. Stick with it, different to all us that have gone big!
Where are your centre caps from? I've just had mine arrive from Ali express, haven't put them on yet but they look damn good for a few pennies!

3ezT3zY.jpg

Used some free time to go over some tiny niggles.

Fresh lower arch stone guard coating to both sides then paint and lacquer.

I removed the arch liners cleaned and ceramic coated them, then all new metal fixtures that had started to rust.

Finally extended the emergency frunk release cable, as the reality of getting to it without tools (which are in the front) is virtually impossible. 

934E9AE9-8ACA-46D3-9ACF-5411AEEFED3E.jpeg

22 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

Sticker looks good, subtle. Stick with it, different to all us that have gone big!
Where are your centre caps from? I've just had mine arrive from Ali express, haven't put them on yet but they look damn good for a few pennies!

3ezT3zY.jpg

I was following a Boxster into London a few years back and when the spoiler raised up it said "Feck You" 😂

TmDI3Iq.png

Thought I'd share my discovery, finally found the source of the metal in my engine!!!!! Ironically, the IMS is a double row version and feels great but with the amount of metal that was in the oil, it will need replacing.

My current working theory was that the car sat for a while and/or had poor oil change history at the same time. Then it was started and the top section of the black guide snapped off as the plastic had dried out with the tensioner just forcing the blade further and further into the chain. So far the only major secondary damage I have found is the first journal from both the exhaust camshafts have a lot of damage probably due to a pieces of metal or plastic getting stuck in the journal. Currently looking for a place that does crankshaft regrinding and seeing if they can help. both the cam, head and bracket need regrinding sadly due to how Porsche designed the heads.

All in all, not too bad. The cylinder linings look to be in great condition, all journals have a bit or wear but nothing not to be expected after 100,000 miles. Haven't gotten round to the measuring everything yet so maybe I shouldn't speak too soon! But just waiting on parts to arrive, before cleaning and reassembling.

• Sad 1

On 5/12/2020 at 9:15 AM, red rocket said:

Put a Porsche-decal on my spoiler

Well, I like it :)

40 minutes ago, Stiffkey said:

TmDI3Iq.png

Thought I'd share my discovery, finally found the source of the metal in my engine!!!!! Ironically, the IMS is a double row version and feels great but with the amount of metal that was in the oil, it will need replacing.

My current working theory was that the car sat for a while and/or had poor oil change history at the same time. Then it was started and the top section of the black guide snapped off as the plastic had dried out with the tensioner just forcing the blade further and further into the chain. So far the only major secondary damage I have found is the first journal from both the exhaust camshafts have a lot of damage probably due to a pieces of metal or plastic getting stuck in the journal. Currently looking for a place that does crankshaft regrinding and seeing if they can help. both the cam, head and bracket need regrinding sadly due to how Porsche designed the heads.

All in all, not too bad. The cylinder linings look to be in great condition, all journals have a bit or wear but nothing not to be expected after 100,000 miles. Haven't gotten round to the measuring everything yet so maybe I shouldn't speak too soon! But just waiting on parts to arrive, before cleaning and reassembling.

glad you found it! what caused that? is that the chain guild that’s worn away and that’s the chain eating into that ? i’m not familiar with the boxster engine internally. 

i used Serdi Uk in uxbridge for my 944 turbo engine work when i fully rebuild mine. i had a crack through my cylinder, so got some racing steel cylinders made by wood fields (think there called?) and john at serdi uk , milled out all 4 of my cylinders and fitted my new race cylinders along with balancing and lightening my flywheel ect ect for me. there regarded as one of if not the best in uk been going a few generations now. look them up and give them a call. very nice guy , if you get stuck send me pm👍

Edited by Dan944

@Dan944 Think it was more the chain guard had a little wear on it, chain got caught and ripped the top section off - but thats only a guess. But yeah as you say, after that its the chain eating into the metal. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep him in mind.

@Bernard Davis The main bearing surfaces on the crankshaft aren't in too bad a condition. The con rod journals are a bit more worn but as I said, I haven't measured the diameters yet. I am hoping that theres enough metal to be able to grind and polish them.

Hi Stiffkey

Im pleased to hear that about the crankshaft bearings. There has been a lot of talk about them being pretty much shot by 100k in these engines.

By the way, how were the other chain ramps?

Best of luck

berni

On 5/10/2020 at 9:27 PM, Apollo000 said:

https://incartec.co.uk/product/23-240-porsche-most-bose-amplifier-interface

https://incartec.co.uk/product/50-971-porsche

https://incartec.co.uk/product/DIN-antenna-splitter-to-DAB--FM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZH9515L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KP9SH29/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need a length of wire to make the switched live to the fuse box, also connect the Bose box to the switched live and ground. A dremel or similar to cut out the excess plastic and cross member from the opening, plenty of guides online and plenty of patience. Porsche don’t make it easy to simply switch out the head unit especially with Bose fitted, I’m happy I’ve done it but it’s not just a simple plug and play. 

There are cheaper kits out there but this one was recommended by an audio install friend, works fine.

That's great, thank you for the info. I'm having a friend look at this at the weekend to see if he'll do it for me (I'm rubbish with electrics). 

On 5/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Christopher2110 said:

3ezT3zY.jpg

Thanks @Christopher2110 I wanted it to be subtle but it might be a little bit too small. Still in doubt. Center Caps came from a local marketplace guy. However they are looking really good, I think they might be from Ali/Wish/China. 

4 hours ago, t-leut said:
5 hours ago, t-leut said:

I know what you mean @V6reu... But yours is too big imho 😉  I think I will do a new one somewhere in the middle sizewise

I hear that a lot 😂

• Haha 2

Added a reversing camera - £15 from Amazon and pretty straight forward, used the number plate light screw to secure it, power feed off the reverse light/rear cluster and fed the cable through the bumper, trunk, clamshell and into the cabin, under centre console to the head unit. Just need to visit a car park with lines to align the camera head.

o3uUBsU.mp4

xMuH8TK.jpg

hHr7G66.jpg

Edited by Apollo000

20 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

Easy enough to plumb in? I’ve heard there’s just a blank you can use?

You need to change the oil pressure switch to a 2 post connection type (14x1.5 thread on mine) and then run a wire to the new gauge , bit of a faff but not a bad job , the blank you can use is to fit an oil temperature gauge  

Edited by myfirstboxster

Replace the AOS as she was smoking like a bitch.

2004 Anni, managed to get the bottom clip off with finger stength but here's a top tip when i put the new one in i pinched the clip with pliers and used a small cable tie to keep the clip open and once in place i just cut it BOOM.

Just took her down the A10 for a 130mph blast all better now