What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Removed the old air vents , and fitted  some 2nd hand side vents from Douglas Valley -- The type with the locating holes in for cup holders , then fitted new cup holders purchased from the dealer

Cup Holder

cupgolder.jpg

New vent with locating holes

newvent.jpg

Old vents without locating holes

oldvent.jpg

Edited by dunks

18 minutes ago, dunks said:

Removed the old air vents , and fitted  some 2nd hand side vents from Douglas Valley -- The type with the locating holes in for cup holders , then fitted new cup holders purchased from the dealer

Cup Holder

cupgolder.jpg

newvent.jpg

oldvent.jpg

So they actually made them without the holes! 

On 6/14/2020 at 2:20 PM, stevemag said:

Been for an "unnecessary " drive, first time the cars been out of the garage in 2020, brakes bedded in, car waxed.......again .......back in the garage 20200614_124802.jpg

Pictures like this make me want to dye the interior of my car. Actually I do not mind the Silver/Metropole Blue of my 986. But I am really considering a change to green  for my 993 Classic Grey interior.

1 hour ago, jonogt6 said:

So they actually made them without the holes! 

Yep... strange the did with or without , surely even Porsche wouldn’t have them as an optional extra, as the cars a MY2000 can’t even say its an early one and they changed the spec later

53 minutes ago, dunks said:

Yep... strange the did with or without , surely even Porsche wouldn’t have them as an optional extra, as the cars a MY2000 can’t even say its an early one and they changed the spec later

The holes appear to have been deleted when the cupholders were fitted to the centre of the dash with the face lift. I wonder if a PO changed them to get rid of the holes, a change you have now reversed.

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

The holes appear to have been deleted when the cupholders were fitted to the centre of the dash with the face lift. I wonder if a PO changed them to get rid of the holes, a change you have now reversed.

The cars never had centre cup holders either.

Previous owner hadn’t removed the outside ones either according to my Porsche log in , they were always without holes on my chassis number.

its a bit overcast today so I may make it a mission to find out why 

Just now, dunks said:

The cars never had centre cup holders either.

Previous owner hadn’t removed the outside ones either according to my Porsche log in , they were always without holes on my chassis number.

its a bit overcast today so I may make it a mission to find out why 

Intriguing.  Mine is also a 3.2 S 2000 MY (built Feb 2000) and it has the holes to which I fit cup holders....

Fresh MOT - 2 advisories:

1. Brake pipe covered in grease or other material - a usual Boxster observation

2. Offside Rear (inner/outer sill/lip corroded) - seems some light corrosion around the area of the jacking point which I will monitor 

Overall for a 17 yr old 102,000 mile car I think it did well, particularly in the emissions area where It was really well below any potential issues.

20 hours ago, dunks said:

Cup Holder

cupgolder.jpg

newvent.jpg

oldvent.jpg

Do they fold down or are they stuck like that after fitted?

1 hour ago, trustytris said:

Do they fold down or are they stuck like that after fitted?

Theres a spring loaded clip so you can just remove them and fold them flat , If your thinking if buying some , get them from the dealer, as they are cheaper than off ebay !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Intriguing.  Mine is also a 3.2 S 2000 MY (built Feb 2000) and it has the holes to which I fit cup holders....

Talk about a minefield.... Each side has 34 different part numbers !! Mainly down to colour / aluminum inserts / leather covered etc etc ..

Only thing I can see is theres a code saying d >>MJ1999 Has holes and d>>MJ2000 doesnt have them... means absolutley nothing to me

2 hours ago, dunks said:

Talk about a minefield.... Each side has 34 different part numbers !! Mainly down to colour / aluminum inserts / leather covered etc etc ..

Only thing I can see is theres a code saying d >>MJ1999 Has holes and d>>MJ2000 doesnt have them... means absolutley nothing to me

MJ, German for model year.  Model Jahr

Looking at the pdf catalogue I have there are part numbers for up to 99, for 99 only, for 00 on and then for 01 on.  up to 00 they were back/grey, after that the interior colour options come in along with leather in those colours too.  The centre cup holder came in for the 03 face lift so some 01 and all 02 cars would not have the holes I guess.

2 hours ago, dunks said:

so todays task... Fitted the microphone from the hands free kit into a spare switch blank

microphone.jpg

Nice idea. Mine is currently on the flatish section under instruments and looks a bit prominent.

Both very neat solutions but did you not look at putting the mic in the OE place behind the small grille on the instrument binnacle?