What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

It's interesting to see how favour is returning to the original lights, and rightly so.

When I got Bambi all those years ago, no matter which headlight bulbs I tried it was like holding a candle in front of me in the dark. I knew I'd have to fit an HID kit. I didn't want to spoil my original lights (even though I'd only be attacking the innards making a cut-out) so I bought whole new (plain) lights for the HIDs, and the originals I've kept in perfect condition and have stowed them safely. I swap them in and out each year.

If I could find headlight bulbs which I could actually see with and hence not be so reliant on my full HID setup, I'd put the original lights back in more often. 

• Like 1

Hi all just fitted a Continental head unit to my Boxster, I can now stream music from my iPhone and make/receive phone calls. Very easy job and I love the way it just looks stock which is why I picked the Continental head unit. Sound quality is a huge improvement from the factory Becker unit. I am a happy bunny 
F7-FC4-D95-AB04-4-A54-83-F8-38-BF22-B6229-D5-AED8-B-D04-A-41-A8-8504-C9-E68-AEC8

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, deanmr2 said:

Hi all just fitted a Continental head unit to my Boxster, I can now stream music from my iPhone and make/receive phone calls. Very easy job and I love the way it just looks stock which is why I picked the Continental head unit. Sound quality is a huge improvement from the factory Becker unit. I am a happy bunny 
F7-FC4-D95-AB04-4-A54-83-F8-38-BF22-B6229-D5-AED8-B-D04-A-41-A8-8504-C9-E68-AEC8

That looks awesome and is a welcome change from all the blingy/ cr@ppy head units I normally see. Mine is good (takes two mobiles, plays via Bluetooth, via Spotify (not that I use it) and can also do USB and AUX. It just looks....Zeph. 

Once I have the aircon properly sorted (and the bumper retaining strip changed) then I will definitely look at this. Proper sound was next on the list (left speaker is awfully crackly and temperamental) and the antenna is just rubbish.

Just as a matter of interest, where did you buy the head unit from?

49 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Excellent. If you can stream, does that mean you can also get phone navi directions through the speakers?

Haven’t tried that yet but don’t see any reason why not as I have a navigation app on my phone. I will give it a go next time I am out in the car and let you know 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

That looks awesome and is a welcome change from all the blingy/ cr@ppy head units I normally see. Mine is good (takes two mobiles, plays via Bluetooth, via Spotify (not that I use it) and can also do USB and AUX. It just looks....Zeph. 

Once I have the aircon properly sorted (and the bumper retaining strip changed) then I will definitely look at this. Proper sound was next on the list (left speaker is awfully crackly and temperamental) and the antenna is just rubbish.

Just as a matter of interest, where did you buy the head unit from?

I bought the head unit from a Norwegian company called Bergvill F/X they were really good to deal with and it only took 2 days from ordering to delivery. They have a good website and a choice of different Continental units for sale some with DAB, CD player etc. Their prices seemed ok but you do have to pay an import tax and good old UK vat. I also bought an adapter harness from them to make the fitting plug and play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

Looks fab...like it was meant to be there.👍

• Like 1

Discovered a broken front suspension spring.  Guess I will get my garage to do it as I don't want to bugger about with springs.  Suppose that they will need to do both sides so may as well get them to replace top mounts whilst they are in there.

Got a few bit from my local OPC during the week (£220) and fitted these today. Front diagonal braces.  These were very corroded when I got the car and after lots of work with a wire brush on a drill I painted them with black Hammerite but they started corroding again.  Only £27 each so not too bad.

foVjwFW.jpg?1 

GUO9jd3.jpg 

Also on the basis that Porsche fitted them for a reason I reinstated the heat shields (£48 each) on the cats which have been missing ever since I got the car, so needed all the fixings too.  Not the easiest job, took a lot longer than I hoped as lining up teh fixings and getting teh half turn lock screws to engage on teh speed nut was not easy, but with a bit of lateral thinking got it done in the end. Might help reduce heat soak into the boot and deflect heat from the gearbox and drive shaft rubbers a bit.

f8cYK1g.jpg 

Finally replaced 4 of the speed nuts and fitted stainless screws that hold the rear wheel arch shark fins in place, one in the sill on each side had stripped and were badly corroded and the ones on the tab inside the arches, again badly corroded.

Also went round the front and rear discs with a drill bit to clear out the brake dust, but sadly found that I need new front discs as the corrosion on the inner faces in now too much.  Brembo discs and Textar pads to be ordered this week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winster said:

Discovered a broken front suspension spring.  Guess I will get my garage to do it as I don't want to bugger about with springs.  Suppose that they will need to do both sides so may as well get them to replace top mounts whilst they are in there.

Get the top mounts and bump stop rubbers done too, they will most likely be perished.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Finally had my bumpers painted and swapped side and rear lights to ambers. 

20220611_100419~2

20220611_100445~2

Looks great 👍 makes me think about getting my bumpers repainted - they're not bad, but let the car down a bit on close inspection. I'd be interested to know how much your bumper respray cost, as a reference 👍

12 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Got a few bit from my local OPC during the week (£220) and fitted these today. Front diagonal braces.  These were very corroded when I got the car and after lots of work with a wire brush on a drill I painted them with black Hammerite but they started corroding again.  Only £27 each so not too bad.

foVjwFW.jpg?1 

GUO9jd3.jpg 

Handy to know they are reasonable money I’ll grab a couple as they’ve been off recently (I’d done the same as you - putting off the inevitable re rot 😂). Offended me seeing them a bit rotten when doing the undertrays / rectangle clips etc (996).

E322-C31-E-C536-436-E-B7-F5-9619536-CA19

12 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Get the top mounts and bump stop rubbers done too, they will most likely be perished.

Alignment?tbh it's a rabbit hole,nearside inner track rod?

2 hours ago, letsmile said:

Looks great 👍 makes me think about getting my bumpers repainted - they're not bad, but let the car down a bit on close inspection. I'd be interested to know how much your bumper respray cost, as a reference 👍

I met a guy who does smart repairs etc ex jet fighter painter. I bought 2l of paint for £100ish and he sprayed them for £230. I had already done all the prep. 

Realistically you are looking at circa £450 a bumper professionally done

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Handy to know they are reasonable money I’ll grab a couple as they’ve been off recently (I’d done the same as you - putting off the inevitable re rot 😂). Offended me seeing them a bit rotten when doing the undertrays / rectangle clips etc (996).

E322-C31-E-C536-436-E-B7-F5-9619536-CA19

That is looking impressively clean under there!

Thank you (no idea how to get the 1/2 symbol to @1/2cwt) . I had it tidied up over winter - rust removal and treatment - welding at end of outer sills (trapped gunge behind aero kit) and jack point replaced - and re underseal in the grey. Local (Cambridgeshire) fabrication place did it.

Holding up well so far…better than the top side 😂. Must get round to doing a running report as I’ve done lots of tinkering. 

33 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Thank you (no idea how to get the 1/2 symbol to @1/2cwt) . I had it tidied up over winter - rust removal and treatment - welding at end of outer sills (trapped gunge behind aero kit) and jack point replaced - and re underseal in the grey. Local (Cambridgeshire) fabrication place did it.

Holding up well so far…better than the top side 😂. Must get round to doing a running report as I’ve done lots of tinkering. 

On a PC hold down Alt and key 0189 on the number pad; on an Android device hold down the 1 key and you will get all the fractions to chose from. iOS, not a clue.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

On a PC hold down Alt and key 0189 on the number pad; on an Android device hold down the 1 key and you will get all the fractions to chose from. iOS, not a clue.

@rowbos what's the iOS solution to the ½ character?

8 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

@rowbos what's the iOS solution to the ½ character?

I'm Android ... I can use fractions on my Mac quite easily, but iOS 🤔 ... I did find something in the past but not sure what that method was - this is the closest I can find with a quick search...

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/trick-typing-pro-looking-fractions-with-your-iphones-keyboard-0384944/