What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Not so much today, or this week, as month.  Completed around  2300 - 2400 miles in the last 4 weeks with 2 trips over to the continent.  Not bad for a 'third' car, but this is why it was bought, to do fun stuff!

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 3

Took the car out for it’s first shakedown run following a change from tired old factory dampers and springs to Koni Special Active with H&R -10mm MO30’s. This is a tried and tested upgrade that many on here are running and it really is amazing how quickly you adjust to the knackered old stuff and forget what proper damping actually feels like. The car now smooths out road imperfections brilliantly yet remains taut and precise when pushing through corners. Very happy boy!

Massive thanks to Paul @TROOPER88 from this very parish who fitted the new suspension and had to wrestle 3 stubborn top links into submission and deal with an awkward top mount. Great guy to deal with - his enthusiasm, knowledge and workmanship is fantastic and I’d highly recommend getting in touch with him if you are needing some work done or looking to purchase a Boxster. (www.torqueboxsters.co.uk)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JimC2407 said:

Took the car out for it’s first shakedown run following a change from tired old factory dampers and springs to Koni Special Active with H&R -10mm MO30’s. This is a tried and tested upgrade that many on here are running and it really is amazing how quickly you adjust to the knackered old stuff and forget what proper damping actually feels like. The car now smooths out road imperfections brilliantly yet remains taut and precise when pushing through corners. Very happy boy!

Massive thanks to Paul @TROOPER88 from this very parish who fitted the new suspension and had to wrestle 3 stubborn top links into submission and deal with an awkward top mount. Great guy to deal with - his enthusiasm, knowledge and workmanship is fantastic and I’d highly recommend getting in touch with him if you are needing some work done or looking to purchase a Boxster. (www.torqueboxsters.co.uk)

I’m part way through doing mine, but I’ve gone Bilstein B8 instead.

Talking to a guy from KONI at Goodwood, and seeing how they work, I may have made the wrong choice, they sound dead clever.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Not so much today, or this week, as month.  Completed around  2300 - 2400 miles in the last 4 weeks with 2 trips over to the continent.  Not bad for a 'third' car, but this is why it was bought, to do fun stuff!

Nice.  

I have done about 1700 in 2 months.  Mostly Le Mans but a few random days out has helped.  Can pretty much say every mile has been a grin.  

2 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

What did you have?

Is this a positive step?

Cheapo eBay drone master

Luckily the PO kept the original back box and gave it to me with the car

So I've cleaned it up and sprayed with high temp black paint to try to preserve it from rust

20220807-115404.jpg

20220807-115417.jpg

2 hours ago, JimC2407 said:

Thank you very, very much Jim.

Great to meet you and you fabulous 986 😃

3 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

I’m part way through doing mine, but I’ve gone Bilstein B8 instead.

Talking to a guy from KONI at Goodwood, and seeing how they work, I may have made the wrong choice, they sound dead clever.

IIRC I did try put them forward as an option...  Hope the B8s are OK.

3 hours ago, JimC2407 said:

....drop links not top links.......unable to type properly after such a fantastic drive!

Only 3!  Can't be a proper old Boxster, or a PO had had one done.

9 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

IIRC I did try put them forward as an option...  Hope the B8s are OK.

You absolutely did, but I figured I couldn’t go wrong with Bilstein.

It was seeing how the S-AS worked that really impressed me, really does seem like modern technology.

I’m sure the B8s will be fine, just hope they aren’t too hard.

One was starting to knock so had to be changed for the last MOT. Going to  make them part of ongoing lifecycle maintenance like drive belt etc so shouldn't be in such a state next time. 

2 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

You absolutely did, but I figured I couldn’t go wrong with Bilstein.

It was seeing how the S-AS worked that really impressed me, really does seem like modern technology.

I’m sure the B8s will be fine, just hope they aren’t too hard.

They really impressed me just this last week, as I mentioned a couple of days ago on some rally rough French road surface near where I was staying.  The faster you went the smoother the ride as the high frequency control got better, it really was amazing.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JimC2407 said:

One was starting to knock so had to be changed for the last MOT. Going to  make them part of ongoing lifecycle maintenance like drive belt etc so shouldn't be in such a state next time. 

I meant only 3 (as opposed to 4) really seized ones from Paul's point of view.  They are notorious.

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I meant only 3 (as opposed to 4) really seized ones from Paul's point of view.  They are notorious.

3 drop links were the usual pain to remove, one was even rounding the 17mm nut but I got it done :) 

The final corner top mount was stuck solid but again worked around it.

Jim's 986 is honestly one of the nicest Porsches I have owned / worked on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Blimey, given the amount of cars you must have worked on over the years, that is one hell of an endorsement :thumbsup_still:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

3 drop links were the usual pain to remove, one was even rounding the 17mm nut but I got it done :) 

The final corner top mount was stuck solid but again worked around it.

Yep, flats on those damper pistons would be so helpful!

Having done my rear struts over the past couple of weeks (and genuinely got quite frustrated with some awkward issues), I’m part way through the fronts and taken probably little more than an hour to get both out and off the car.

Almost shocked when a drop link (fresh last year, and greased) came straight out, as did each strut from the knuckle. Almost disconcertingly easy!

22 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

Having done my rear struts over the past couple of weeks (and genuinely got quite frustrated with some awkward issues), I’m part way through the fronts and taken probably little more than an hour to get both out and off the car.

Almost shocked when a drop link (fresh last year, and greased) came straight out, as did each strut from the knuckle. Almost disconcertingly easy!

A little assembly compound goes along way to avoid future grief!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davey P said:

Blimey, given the amount of cars you must have worked on over the years, that is one hell of an endorsement :thumbsup_still:

Paul is being very kind! It does now drive alot better after he'd worked his magic replacing the dampers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimC2407 said:

Paul is being very kind! It does now drive alot better after he'd worked his magic replacing the dampers.

Have we seen any pictures of this one yet, Jim?

A tutorial on posting is below if you are struggling as posting file size is very limited for direct posts.

Posted some back in 2017 but can't seem to go back that far in the search for some reason. Anyone know how to go back and access threads that go back a few years?

Here's a pic of it looking shiny.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Lr8Ywhe.jpg[/img]