What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

41 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Alas mine did a big end back in 2006... ☹️It was a well-used 1994 car with a chipped engine (didn't know this until I stripped it for parts) which had been a recce car for a team before I bought it from them, and I used it for the same as well as a daily driver.  My first Impreza, '96 UK car bought new, was last MOT'd in 2010 so it lasted 15 years, I put 67k miles on it in its first 2½ years.

They are great workhorses. A far better car value wise  than an EVO which requires far more costly maintenance to keep it going. £4£ very hard to beat 

• Like 1

Failed to sort the dead battery. I could manually unlock but when I put a jump pack across the terminal in the fuse box and the door pin the alarm went off and the frunk lock would not release. I think I have to tap my head while rubbing the key on my stomach or something! 

It was all frozen solid anyhow. Poor car.

5 hours ago, Cybot7 said:

This morning I visited La Rose Porsche in Sevenoaks where Dean Horvath and his bunch of merry men fitted this.
https://www.spyderperformance.co.uk/shop/exhausts/valvetronic-sets/porsche-986-boxster-spyder-performance-exhaust-bypass-valve-set/

😍😍

and....... What's it like?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cybot7 said:

This morning I visited La Rose Porsche in Sevenoaks where Dean Horvath and his bunch of merry men fitted this.
https://www.spyderperformance.co.uk/shop/exhausts/valvetronic-sets/porsche-986-boxster-spyder-performance-exhaust-bypass-valve-set/

😍😍

Video please 🙏 

Do you get the wan##r button on the dash or is it a remote?

Edited by Boxsum

3 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

Video please 🙏 

Do you get the wan##r button on the dash or is it a remote?

It’s a fob.  I have no idea how to post a video. It’s on the 986 Owners site on Facebook. It’s bloody loud. I joined the M25 at jct 5 on full chat in 2nd, then 3rd up to around 6500.  People were screaming and topping themselves. It was wonderful 😂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cybot7 said:

It’s a fob.  I have no idea how to post a video. It’s on the 986 Owners site on Facebook. It’s bloody loud. I joined the M25 at jct 5 on full chat in 2nd, then 3rd up to around 6500.  People were screaming and topping themselves. It was wonderful 😂

Fob, ok , I wonder if it is possible to wire to a spare switch on the dash like the 996?

Do you know if there is any adverse effect on power?

I will take a look on FB

1 hour ago, Boxsum said:

Fob, ok , I wonder if it is possible to wire to a spare switch on the dash like the 996?

I will take a look on FB

Just blu tack the fob to the dash 😆

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boxsum said:

I will take a look on FB

I did enquire as to wiring up one of the switches on the centre console and was told it’s just too expensive (@£800)as it involves Porsche gear that doesn’t affect the electrical system in a way aftermarket stuff might. Dean said he’s looking at other ways but hasn’t found a solution to it.  It’s a question he gets asked all the time. On hearing the cost everyone opts for the fob. No noticeable effect on power that I’ve encountered so far. 

22 minutes ago, Cybot7 said:

I did enquire as to wiring up one of the switches on the centre console and was told it’s just too expensive (@£800)as it involves Porsche gear that doesn’t affect the electrical system in a way aftermarket stuff might. Dean said he’s looking at other ways but hasn’t found a solution to it.  It’s a question he gets asked all the time. On hearing the cost everyone opts for the fob. No noticeable effect on power that I’ve encountered so far. 

Can't you just buy a spare dash switch and run a wire from the bypass to it?

12 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Heated rear screen switch?

Pretty sure that has a timer function.  I've seen some take a switch blank, drill a hole and adapt an on/off switch to the back. 

On 12/14/2022 at 9:57 PM, Cybot7 said:

I wonder if this link works. 
https://share.icloud.com/photos/064GDmM04Q3kUleqM4lWjE0iQ

4 minutes ago, pacificjuha said:

Had yesterday some quality time with my son... pulled out the engine and tranny :)

MfTmuED.jpg

Next is cleaning, chain ramps repalcement, RMS, IMSB, flywheel, clutch, vacuum hoses, etc fun with my son.

Nice work and great as a family exercise.  Oh for a workshop and 2 post ramp!!!

Thinking of a recent 987 post, can you loot at the end of you fuel rails and see if there is any corrosion please?

@zcacogp

Edited by ½cwt

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Nice work and great as a family exercise.  Oh for a workshop and 2 post ramp!!!

Thinking of a recent 987 post, can you loot at the end of you fuel rails and see if there is any corrosion please?

@zcacogp

This engine has plenty of dirt, but have not seen yet any rust on the car (only on exhaust clamps and muffler).

Next to-do item is to figure out how to clean this as easy as possible without damaging the aluminium with too strong detergent... anybody here have good recommendations?

The question about corrosion is the very end of the fuel rail on the front of the right bank.

Muc-Off Motorcycle Cleaner, Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner or similar detergents should be fine.  If you want to go further in detailing it once clean, there is this product:

AluBright Deoxidiser - Race Glaze

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps not DIY but I've seen a few videos of dry ice cleaning which seems to work really quickly with minimal effort.