What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 1/18/2023 at 5:00 PM, Baldrick said:

MOT passed today so another year of Boxstering beckons 😁

Mine too! Just one advisory - a small brake pipe which is covered in grease or some other substance so can't be examined! I thought I had all of them replaced, but one more to go as it irritates me to see anything listed on advisory!

• Like 1

Changed the chain ramps also on the bank 2, then timed both bank 1 & 2 cams and installed the cam covers back.

It was rather nerveracking to tinker with the cam timing - basicly one chance to get them right to avoid carnage at the firsta start after rebuilt 😬

Oil pump also looks very good. The oilpump use axle shows small wear (new axle will be installed next weekend).

On the bank 2 VarioCam follower was a bit more worn out than bank 1. On both banks, the heavy wear showed on the chain pad where is the oil channels (two small holes).

Large chain ramps show basicly no wear on either banks.

aF4seLE.jpg

sXMT6SX.jpg

efL0tvv.jpg

rDeYk3E.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This is the 3rd time this has happened to me in 10 years 🤬

Eaten the filter and foam cover!

B4ydAYQ.jpg

Below is a temp fix that 100% stops water dropping into the filter housing.

JPji6qm.jpg

Before I go and replace again any tips on stopping this? 

One thing I have learnt is to always turn off the heating to close the vent to try stop the little fella coming into the ducting.

The car is kept inside in winter storage 

Edited by Boxsum

On 1/17/2023 at 8:50 PM, Fat Rat said:

MKI had what I believe is a vent as them old ones can get a bit Smokey inside. 😉

Ears

MKII no ears. Seemed to have sorted out the smog filled cabin. 😂🤙🏻

Ears

Sorry about pics. Best I could rip from fleabay. Winters here and the prices for hardtops is at max. 1k cheapest.😬🤙🏻

Didn't know some hard tops have ears! Mines a Mk II Lapiz blue then. I really like the fit especially atm 🥶 to me it stiffens the car and with less road noise feels like a different drive.

D266B01E-BD26-4D0F-9004-4ADAE95A8DAB

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

B4ydAYQ.jpg

JPji6qm.jpg

One thing I have learnt is to always turn off the heating to close the vent to try stop the little fella coming into the ducting.

Have you checked your cats? 🤣

21 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Didn't know some hard tops have ears! Mines a Mk II Lapiz blue then. I really like the fit especially atm 🥶 to me it stiffens the car and with less road noise feels like a different drive.

D266B01E-BD26-4D0F-9004-4ADAE95A8DAB

Mine is a MKII blue one. Not sure what blue though. 🤔Yes, quite like driving with it on so far. A bit more head room compared to the soft top and much better rear view. 👍

On 1/23/2023 at 4:04 PM, Boxsum said:

B4ydAYQ.jpg

JPji6qm.jpg

Couple of these should sort it. 😉

Mouse

3 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

If the foam pollen filter cover gets munched water can pass through the pollen filter housing and into the passenger side footwell

Eureeka

This might explain why I had a small lake in my passenger footwell

So what we're saying is the filter itself needs to be dry or the thing it lives inside?

17 minutes ago, ATM said:

Eureeka

This might explain why I had a small lake in my passenger footwell

So what we're saying is the filter itself needs to be dry or the thing it lives inside?

Even if the foam cover is intact and all looks good depending on how you park water can still somehow make it’s way past. I’ve found the black plastic shroud cover isn’t 100% even if fitted correctly if parked at a slight slope or angle . Water can still track down so a little tape will stop this. If you have a wet passenger footwell and wet pollen cabin filter a little tape as shown will at least eliminate if this is the cause as you will see if the pollen filter stays dry. Goes without saying to make sure all drain holes are clear.

Edited by Boxsum

14 hours ago, Boxsum said:

Even if the foam cover is intact and all looks good depending on how you park water can still somehow make it’s way past. I’ve found the black plastic shroud cover isn’t 100% even if fitted correctly if parked at a slight slope or angle . Water can still track down so a little tape will stop this. If you have a wet passenger footwell and wet pollen cabin filter a little tape as shown will at least eliminate if this is the cause as you will see if the pollen filter stays dry. Goes without saying to make sure all drain holes are clear.

My foam cover is basically none existent

3 hours ago, skullandbiscuits said:

Looks like a genuine bargain to me :thumbsup_still:  Bit of a marmite colour (not my cuppa tea, but that's not really relevant).  I reckon that will clean up nicely inside and out, and make a great car for someone on a tight budget. Hard top must be worth 500+ quid, and could be sold to keep costs down if required.

I hope the new owner ends up on here, or is already an existing member.

I like it, no doubt a hard colour to sell.  The hardtop almost detracts from it, i would be selling that separately, definitely not adding value.  Probably owned by an ex cop.  Dodgy brake callipers.  I think this is bang on the money, it's going to need some spent on it to push up it's value.

4 hours ago, skullandbiscuits said:

That's an unusual spec. Green, brown interior and the ultra rare wood option. Someone with a really good imagination must have specced it originally. Condition wise it looks like it needs a bit of tlc. The leather looks a bit iffy, but may look respectable with a decent clean.

I like it a lot...not so sure about the silver hardtop though.

Edited by jonogt6