What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

8 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Annual service; major w/brake fluid.

Cue “your car is really clean, we usually have to recommend a number of points on these, but yours is great.”

I was lazy, perhaps feeling a bit smug, so asked them to investigate a rattle from the passenger door and ultimately fit a new regulator.

Car then decided I hadn’t spent enough. Refused to come home with me, misfired like a mother hubbard, and insisted on spending the weekend at the garage.

Now has a new MAF, cleaned out throttle body, and drives just like it did when I dropped it off, but without a passenger door that sounds broken.

I’m considerably poorer.

Bloody car.

They do that - the antidote is a couple of spirited pootles. Somehow that seems to cure the money blues.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skullandbiscuits said:

Started to strip down my interior ready for the terracotta interior. Quick question, do you need to swap over the seat buckle tensioners from my original seats?

from what colour did you change? Terracotta or you mean boxster red?

12 minutes ago, skullandbiscuits said:

can anyone advise the seat belt pre-tensioners.

If your new seats are from a 986 or 996 and have the seat mounted receiver still attached then there’s no need to swap them over.

Should the new seats not have them then you will need to swap them over.

Be aware there’s a loom/harness underneath the seats which needs some care.

I did a seat swap myself, including moving the seat belt receivers across, it is documented here and might be helpful:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, map said:

If your new seats are from a 986 or 996 and have the seat mounted receiver still attached then there’s no need to swap them over.

Should the new seats not have them then you will need to swap them over.

Be aware there’s a loom/harness underneath the seats which needs some care.

I did a seat swap myself, including moving the seat belt receivers across, it is documented here and might be helpful:

Brilliant just want I was after, thanks 👍

Made sure all the drain holes were clear of debris, I hovered the inside of the roof to get ride of the white mould, had to remove the plexiglass wind break to get the hover in. Then washed the car and spent lots of time in trying to clean the roof, to remove the green algae. I guess I will move the BMW 2002tii and put the Boxster on the ramp, inside the workshop I should be able to remove the passenger door trim to remove the slack in window regulator as window doesn’t drop enough to clear the roof. I have also got workout why my roof stops like this.

C90BB33E-AAA0-4A07-BA0D-74D59AC25205.jpeg

10 minutes ago, davrianmad said:

I guess I will move the BMW 2002tii

mmm, new thread in Other Marques please, several people here appreciate an old classic. (As many of us actually ARE old classics...)

10 minutes ago, skullandbiscuits said:

Here is a doozy, changed the spark plugs at the weekend to find mismatch plugs in each bank. Says it all on the previous owners

39BBDF31-18C9-404A-A0B3-F4DE5175A6B6.jpeg

Do you need a matching set of coil packs too??

Going to pull the trigger on the brake refurb work on mine in the next few weeks, probably over th two early May bank holiday weekends.  Just bought the final parts, a set of caliper decals (from brakecaliperdecals.co.uk) and a set of caliper piston seals and dust covers.  Um'd and err'd about whether to go as far as the piston seals, but they are 23 years and 110k miles old so whilst I have the calipers off for painting - in for a penny, in for a pound.  Whole car set just under £40 from Bigg Red, for after market not Brembo kits.

I'll be taking the calipers back to bare metal, a neighbour has a media basting cabinet.  Also doing the rusty hard lines front to rear (and any others required) in cunifer and the 4 short hard pipes from flexi to caliper, fitting braided flexis all round and the two hand brake cable tubes into the rear hubs.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chris_Geffen said:

AOS, plugs, tubes, coilpacks, oil and filter change, new sump plug and crush washer and new air filter. 

And cleaned off the mould from the interior after a winter undercover 

IMG_20230320_151431_713.jpg

VideoCapture_20230320-151259.jpg

May I suggest you get some dehumidifier/desiccator bag and swap them over every few weeks when it is undercover to keep the moisture level down and avoid this mould infestation.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I think in his opening thread he mentioned the classic wet carpets, which could well be a contributor.

That'll be it then.  Get those drains cleaned (or possibly heater matrix fixed) and get it dry before putting under cover...

6 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

That'll be it then.  Get those drains cleaned (or possibly heater matrix fixed) and get it dry before putting under cover...

Drains have been done. The previous owner had left it out in the rain with a torn rear screen so water ingress was bad. The carpets have all been removed, binned and I have purchased 2nd hand replacements that have been in my house airing cupboard for months so are 100% moisture free. I think the issue may be with the seats as they were the only "fabric" left in the car over winter. I think I might just fill the car with rice and see if that works 😆