What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 05/09/2017 at 7:58 AM, Southy said:

They have a surprisingly lose fit. I don't use anything on mine on a track I'd imagine they would be safe up to 110mph so normal uk road use would be fine.

You could put one black cable tie at the bottom that would stop it d disappearing 

Lost one of mine on a roundabout on the way back from goodwood, first year I had the car.  Just flung off and was crushed under following car. 

6 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Well hello there!

Say more?

I'm a moron and bought them on eBay just because, haha. Don't fit on any car I own. 

They're 4x100 15x7j et38 Team dynamic Pro Race 1.2's. Stupidly lightweight and mega caliper clearance. Got them for silly cheap and had one of my engineers in London pick them up and drop them to my door in Somerset this morning (only agreed the purchase last night). 

Going to refurbish/touch-up a few scuff marks they've got and either sell them on, or buy a new cheap toy to throw them on (note: a full set of Falken ZE914 tyres for them are only £145!)

First coat of lacquer on to the newly black front grills and surrounds, then striped the battery tray out, hoovered, and flushed through the drain holes and generally cleaned up around the battery area under the 'covers'. Found further evidence of the 'missing CD changer' that once rested in the frunk. Redundant and slightly rusty cables going through the bulkhead from the stereo (I suspect) wrapped up and nesting amongst the other bits and pieces. Will investigate further over the weekend. Will probably never add another CD player so toying with just cutting away....

Second coat of lacquer tomorrow then front bumper back on Saturday morning, then it needs a thrashing.

Has anyone painted their window surrounds? Hood almost new, but surrounds could do with a coat of paint; thoughts (paint type - just matt)?

AaS

ordered a new expansion tank and hose clip pliers... Pulled the carpet out of the boot and had a look at the engine bay to locate the hoses that will need un doing. They are deep in the bowels and I might need to hire a 10 yr old to get their hand in there!

21 minutes ago, John2000 said:

Drove 2.5 hour  to Revolution Porsche and stayed in Brighouse two nights while they replaced too many parts to list on here, you would only fall asleep before you had chance to read it all.

Is it sad that I'm actually interested ?

I took it off my battery conditioner (trickle charger). Looked at it a few times. Opened the garage door to air the garage out as it was a nice day. I also performed an incredible ladder balancing act over the 986 with a rickety old step ladder to get some spare tyres down from the rafters (sold for peanuts to a friend in need - and I won't be using them anytime soon!)

7 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Potted my fan resistors with some Stycast.

A little ott, but they should last a bit longer then the Porsche ones :)

36969663902_1dc7090297_k.jpgrr2 by paul quick, on Flickr

36327283453_db34f33680_k.jpgrr3 by paul quick, on Flickr

36951942466_aec4c0f053_k.jpgrr5 by paul quick, on Flickr

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what any of this is about. Old yes, stupid yes, but I'm at a total loss as to what this does, is about....

Help.

AaS

23 minutes ago, allatsea said:

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what any of this is about. Old yes, stupid yes, but I'm at a total loss as to what this does, is about....

Help.

AaS

Search for "Boxster fan resistor" on google, and all will become clear :)

Your radiator cooling fans have two speeds, and you need a big resistor like this to get the lower one.

They are fixed at the front of the car underneath, and basically fall apart when old. Porsche ones are a bit expensive, RS ones are not :D

Edited by PaulQ

Fixed aircon control unit by replacing the fuse. (it the simple things) ;o)

(If anyone ever wants a 7.5a fuse, I have 49 of them left. Might keep one or two as spares....)

Edited by TimsterC
  • Like 1

On 10 September 2017 at 0:18 PM, John2000 said:

Stayed at the Holiday Inn so swimming drinking sauna then did it all over again

Good call.i was bored out of my wits after 4 hours of walking around the town! But  all worth it for the excellent service the chaps provide

Edited by Billzeebub
  • Like 1