981S purchase

martyn

Hi again all, I sold my 986 a good few years ago, and am now very much in the market for a 981, I have been offered a one owner agate grey S for 41K but the OPC will negotiate. Would like your opinion as I am not sure of the interior colour which is full Luxor Beige leather. The wife, who will tell anyone who listens, that she has a superior colour sense thinks its lovely, however, although I think its nice, I not 100% sure, love the grey, not sure of the interior, hence this post, also what do you think is a fair price to pay.

Spec as follows,

19,500 Miles, 1 owner, Reg Oct 2013, PDK, 20" Carrera Classic wheels, 2 years Porsche warranty etc, Bose Surround sound, Digital radio, folding mirrors,floor mats, interior surveillance, storage bin with model logo, phone prep,multi function steering wheel, wind deflector, park assist rear, Porsche Comms (PCM), inc sat nav with europe, power steering plus, Porsche vehicle tracking, seat belts in Luxor Beige, top tint, 2 zone auto AC.

having trouble uploading pics, will try to upload later.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am obviously biased, but I never buy a car with black interior (if at ALL possible), both me and Mrs BB just love the Sand full leather our Boxster has, very similar to Luxor, go for it.......it'll look lovely and be not a run of the mill choice.

Black interior = driving around in a coal sack

Light interior = driving around in Luxury 

:D

I agree with Boxbrownie, a black interior is awful. My 986 was Basalt Black with the Savanah full leather interior, similar to the Luxor, we loved it. My Agate 981 has the agate/pebble interior which I prefer to the Luxor but saw a 911 in agate with the Luxor interior and IMO it looked fine. Your buying the car for you, not the next person, so buy what you like.

I see the car is at Colchester OPC, the price looks right for an OPC car and if it's negotiable then so much the better. It has lots of options which would have added a lot to the original cost, shame it has the multi function steering wheel instead of the sports wheel with paddle shift. IMO a much better option.

Best of luck with your chase, whatever you buy, a 981 will put a huge smile on your face.

Kevin G

Beige interior is a bit of a marmite choice IMO, not something I would go for. In addition you may get windscreen reflections (if you are sensitive to that) and will obviously show the dirt more.  Also I do not like the standard steering wheel, the sport design wheel is superb.

i bought a 2015 S with 8.5k and a better spec than this (PASM, sport chrono), 32 months warranty for £48k in June, so I think yours is a tad expensive £38-39 k I think is more the price I would expect for this.

Which ever you go for and when you get it...

I also went from a 986 to a 981, a 2.7 then a 3.2s and now a 981 3.4s all with in 2yrs lol

So welcome to the 981 club.. you'll love it as I do mine :)

Si

2 hours ago, martyn said:

Would like your opinion as I am not sure of the interior colour which is full Luxor Beige leather.

Colours are incredibly personal, and the I think the best advice is to buy what you (and of course, your wife :D) like and don't worry about other people's opinions. Unless you're going for something really wacky, I don't think you need to worry about the effect on resale values - in general Porsche offer (and people spec in the first place) colours that go well. To me, Luxor Beige sounds like a great interior to have with Agate, but then I wouldn't particularly like the exterior colour in the first place :). But I think either black or grey interior with a grey exterior would be a bit too sombre. Greenman is correct about the reflections though, so bear that in mind, and ideally see what it's like on a test drive on  a sunny day before you buy it. I get them with my red interior and it doesn't bother me in the slightest (though it does show up if I use a GoPro looking through the front screen).

The spec sounds good but I agree with others that with PDK, the Sport Design steering wheel is much better - you would lose the other wheel-mounted controls, but IMO it's definitely worth it to get the paddles. Not sure about the price - my initial reaction as that it sounded a bit high for a 3-year old car, but I've not based that on anything scientific.

Good luck with whatever you get - I also went from a 986 to a 981, and you'll certainly notice the difference! (both great cars though)

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Get them to change the wheel as part of the deal ;)

Agree with this - paddles much better! Colour is a personal choice and it sounds like you already have your doubts on this one!

Hmm, not sure about the Paddle wheel change, I have paddles on my Audi but I find the thumb and finger/push-pull buttons on the standard wheel are easier to use, also you can use both sides for either up or down changes.

I didn't think I'd like the buttons but prefer them after using them to the paddles.......:wacko:

Well, Thanks for feedback!  this is great, plenty of good points and dialogue.

OK, well I made an offer to them and asked them to retro fit the cruise control which was not originally specced. ?

From a bit of online detective work it's about a £400-500 costing.

Unfortunately we are still a good bit apart with our finances, although they will fit the cruise. I am going to sleep on it, but I may well up the offer a bit and if unsuccessful well it's made my mind up with the internal colour and it was therefore never meant to be.

When we went to have a test drive, there was a lovely Miami blue 718 which looked great and I found myself re-evaluating my finances, like could I stretch to the 60+ k for a reasonably specced S. Read on forums that there are 2 schools of thought with regard to this model, and apparently could bomb depreciation wise, so decided to go for the 981 instead. This could well be a excellent choice as it's the last of the 6 pots and these could very possibly be the last 6 pot boxsters ever....?

Anyway will let you know what happens next......

ps boxbrownie is right internal surveillance is a fancy name for the internal alarm movement sensors.

I wouldn't try to second guess the depreciation aspects of 718 vs 981. I was wondering about a base 718 with just around 5k of options but ultimately went for a year old 981S with around 15k of options for a similar price. Ultimately the base 718 is probably as quick as the 981S (and will have much more mid range go).  The new 718 wheel is much nicer than the base 981 wheel, but the 981 sport design is still much nicer, buts that's purely my opinion. I would never go for anything that didn't have a dark bash colour due to reflections, but there are plenty around so obviously it doesn't bother many.

There are still quite a few 981s available so you should be able to find a spec you like for the budget you are looking at.

Hi again, bought it, deposit paid, have to wait for the small faults to be rectified, via the 111 point check. 2 wheels to be refurbished and a small piece of paintwork to be done as well. The car was £40995 I got it for 39000 + they are going to retro fit the cruise. Now I have to wait......

4 minutes ago, martyn said:

Hi again, bought it, deposit paid, have to wait for the small faults to be rectified, via the 111 point check. 2 wheels to be refurbished and a small piece of paintwork to be done as well. The car was £40995 I got it for 39000 + they are going to retro fit the cruise. Now I have to wait......

Congratulations!  You got a good deal all things considered.  Don't forget to post photos!

That looks good!

You should be able to get the pictures to display in here. I'm not familiar with using Flickr like this but I think you probably copy and paste the 'BBCode' that you get by clicking on the curved arrow below each pic ... if I'm right, one of your pics should appear here:

30449714930_798653f4a9_o.jpgUntitled by Martyn Hagger, on Flickr

Archived