981S purchase

martyn

41 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

In theory...but in reality we both know that 0-60 times and mpg figures are actually a load of BS (I swear the PDK is geared so that it achieves that marginal benefit as an additional sales point,to help punters part with an extra £2000). The reality is that the driver's reactions are likely to have more influence on that 'race'...I'm still waiting for our man @Topradio to sort out a Santa Pod event to test it out...

You're on.

I will look into it again:P

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, topradio said:

You're on.

I will look into it again:P

..feel a little less precious about the 981 now its 3 years old so happier than the first time you mentioned it...still need to know if I need a helmet though as I dont have one...

Seriously I reckon on NON-launchcontrol that it will come down to the start you get, not the gear change....not that I expect to get a good start! (see how I'm lining up the excuses already ;) )

Yes, NO launch mode, that really is taking away any semblance of control from the driver. I suspect that you may be able to get off the line a gnats quicker as the manual clutch bite will be sharper than the auto (unless I hold it on the brakes and rev the engine - which I wouldn't do as I don't know how the box would take it)

There is absolutely no way you can change gear anywhere near as fast as the PDK, maybe the odd perfect one but not consistently.

I think when I looked at the rules at SP we wouldn't need a helmet as our cars aren't fast enough!!!

Basically when driving at the limit not taking 50% of my hands off the wheel seems like a good option. I only realised this after 37 years of driving a manual without paddles ;)

I had never considered a PDK until I drove the 718 demo and then the 981.

3 hours ago, topradio said:

I dealt with Rob when I bought my 981 - great guy, really friendly & very helpful.

You'll really enjoy the car when you get it.  :thumbsup_anim:

I agree, he's a top man.

re the PDK debate, I only wanted it so the missus would drive the car, it being a gnats c*ck faster off the line is a bonus?

13 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

so you're saying it doesn't retain any value on resale then? :o

I stand corrected........just checked used values for a vehicle example ie, 11/2009 987S 35K miles one manual and one PDK......

and it appears the PDK is an appreciating asset, if it cost £2K as an option it now values the car at £2670 more than the manual.

If I hang on to the car long enough the transmission will be worth more than the car :lol:

8 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

no, no I was having fun...just you lost me.....

:arrowhead:

It must have been the faster vehicle I was in then :D...................c'mon......catch up there, it's not that early.

1 hour ago, topradio said:

Stuart, it's a fairly common abbreviation for 'isn't it' in some parts of the country :P

T'is = it is

ain't = is it not

Must have been all those Beano comics when I was a splodge ;)

1 minute ago, Andy Mac said:

Is it collection day tomorrow? Exciting times :wub:

I reckon you're nearly as excited as Gutley was when he was getting an outside tap fitted. :rolleyes: 

Archived