Interior Refresh 986s

Jackal81

Hi all

never been a fan of body coloured interior parts so im going to change them , been wrapping bits with carbon wrap and its going well , got some alicantara on the way aswell (inspired by Ger's build diary )

looking for some ideas for the center console , will prob end up buying one from douglas valley breakers , get it finished then swap it over

im thinking carbon wrap the main section with alicanatra ashtray / window switch part

open to all ideas and pics

progress so far :

photo IMG_0484_zpsz02a6bfb.jpg    not sure what to do with the silver clips , think carbon would be to much , prob use leather to cover or maybe spray them gloss black 

photo IMG_0488_zpsxzvkmgld.jpg

photo IMG_0479_zpsqqboey6a.jpg

- Matt

Personally, I think that if you have a dark interior then it feels a little glum and a body colour or silver centre console brightens things up a bit. That said if the carbon wrap is glossy rather than matte it might have a similar effect and bounce a little more light.I would leave the clips of a few bits silver for some accent colour at least.

I agree with Ed, I went down the black leather interior and the carbon approach.

And nice as it is it did feel a little dark, I was originally thinking a carbon console but went with the silver to break up the darkness.

26875840315_aa106c5e5c_b.jpg

30136154506_f717d8bbd1_b.jpg

Im still not sure on silver but I have got a spare I can always get colour coded blue or maybe hydroed in carbon.,,

very nice , like how you have the air con controlls in the lower part of the console , think i will end up trying a carbon look console as im really not keen on the silver , im in no rush so will prob source a complete console and see what i can do.

I've just bought a an additional centre console to do the same thing, my car has extended black leather with contrast red stitching but it's too dark :( I'm hoping just the Centre Console in Guards red will lift it enough.

as it is

1c9c0c08-4d1a-4f10-bf95-6316470e2ce3_zps

and how I want it to look

P1120456.jpg

P1120459.jpg

P1120407.jpg

actually looks nice in red , not sure why im not keen on the silver in mine , where you sourcing console from ? ive been looking at douglas valley breakers

love the red stitching , im gonna look into alicantara for the console in mine , will match some alicantara bits im goona do in the cockpit.

37 minutes ago, Jackal81 said:

actually looks nice in red , not sure why im not keen on the silver in mine , where you sourcing console from ? ive been looking at douglas valley breakers

love the red stitching , im gonna look into alicantara for the console in mine , will match some alicantara bits im goona do in the cockpit.

Yeah got mine from Douglas Valley I'll keep the old console social could always swop back 

your build thread was my insperation for doing the interior ! , alicantara should be with me 2moro

spent sun afternoon removing the centre console , gonna carbon wrap the side pieces and the ashtray bit and alicantara the main body of the the console

just worried that the alicanatara ive orederd is going to be to dark , yours look more like dark grey m looks awsome

I bought all the stuff and had a quick go myself but way too fiddly for me!

I think I bought the wrong glue, it was a 3m spray glue but it was really messy and came out like silly string ? 

I may have another go as I think it looks great but I may just take it to a trimmer. I've got spares of most pieces I want to cover, so it wouldn't be a problem.

I ended up buying two different pieces of cloth from two different places, I originally ordered the same stuff that Ger used. But when it came it looked different, so I ordered some more which seemed much better. A bit darker in colour and a bit more fluffy but the same price.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing all the completed parts!

@Jackal81 great stuff mate, looks good

I applied a new leather skin to the oddments tray and fitted a new gear stick gaiter, fiddly jobs but quite satisfying when done, the oddments lid took about a week to look right.

The leather I fitted was black with red stitching which matches the Porsche extended leather.

another piece done , very pleased , took some time but best one i have done yet

figured out that really hot water and a nail brush removes the rubber backing , making the material a lot thinner and easier to use , have to be carefull with the glue though incase it goes through.

photo IMG_0534_zpsylkjfsvk.jpg

photo IMG_0523_zps5pibojga.jpg

photo IMG_0533_zpsougawshf.jpg

photo IMG_0521_zpsf1ycccvu.jpg

photo IMG_0531_zpsmr3zz70r.jpg

VICTORY !!!

after 4 days and 3 attempts finally got there with the mirror switch surround

thanks to Ger for some advice via PM , went a different route , ended up using 3 sep pieces of cloth but happy with how it turned out

photo IMG_05421_zpsona823mk.jpg

photo IMG_05401_zpsegzgq3yt.jpg

photo IMG_05441_zpspgmdns0g.jpgphoto IMG_05461_zpsj4csznug.jpg

photo IMG_05451_zpsm0arcfdu.jpg

photo IMG_05491_zpswnbqrlog.jpg

Some good ideas here. Particularly like the Alcantara. I am about to get my centre-console and vent surround done in Polar Silver body colour on my current 986.2.  I really liked the body coloured parts on my GT Silver Anniversary, trying to replicate that

Archived