Daily Drive or Fair Weather Drive

runner

More of a fair weather motor.

Car can sit for 2 to 3 weeks, sometimes used for work (FW).

We do like having extended weekends away and have used it on a couple of nice long trips abroad.

Car is two and a half years old and covered 17,000 miles.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My car is a fair weather car (FW). I have protected it with Dodo juice and hate cleaning it after each run, especially the wheels - they take ages to do.

I had planned to use it as a DD, but i think this will be case in the spring/summer and autumn months.

16 hours ago, runner said:

to answer your question it was originally for 981 owners only purely because of the higher value / larger  depreciation angle etc

Oh damn.  My answer just went from real to aspirational :(

I'm in between. I work from home so don't have a daily commute, but use it whenever I can, so it is used for a trip to the gym or Sainsbury as well as longer trips on the weekend our during the week.

It's one of the reasons I upgraded from my 986 - it was a hassle disconnecting the trickle charger for a short trip as well as all the "concerns" about running the 986 on short trips re cold oil, not getting the engine up to temperature etc. I feel far more comfortable with short runs in a more modern car.

31 minutes ago, mdunderwood said:

I'm in between. I work from home so don't have a daily commute, but use it whenever I can, so it is used for a trip to the gym or Sainsbury as well as longer trips on the weekend our during the week.

It's one of the reasons I upgraded from my 986 - it was a hassle disconnecting the trickle charger for a short trip as well as all the "concerns" about running the 986 on short trips re cold oil, not getting the engine up to temperature etc. I feel far more comfortable with short runs in a more modern car.

Are short runs less of an issue with the 981?  I would be happy if that were the case, but I haven't heard anybody else suggest that.

10 hours ago, mneil said:

DD , had garage queens before and thought what a waste, however, it doesn't go out in the snow.

Spot on! My sentiments entirely. ?

Bought mainly for a weekend toy and holiday drive, just doesn't seem the same knowing it's a work commute. I seem to appreciate the car better when I can drive for driving sake. We've enjoyed three great European tours in my previous TT ragtop, hoping for more of the same with this beauty.

14 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

GQ.....garage queen!

Said the man who recently asked questions about increasing the yearly agreed mileage on his insurance? ^_^

2 hours ago, Slick one said:

Mines a DD to keep the miles low on the RR

1 hour ago, Slick one said:

Range Rover :)

:huh:  But I thought Range Rovers were....... :unsure:

Oh, never mind. :rolleyes:  Whatever floats your boat. B) 

Mines a 987.2 so not a cheap car but it's a DD and I do c.80 miles a day and love every minute of it ;)

I just didn't want a garage queen for the next guy to enjoy and accept the cost of depreciation as the price I pay to enjoy living the dream and I would do the same if I bought a 981, life's too short to worry about the cost IMO

9 hours ago, Araf said:

Said the man who recently asked questions about increasing the yearly agreed mileage on his insurance? ^_^

Nice one Ian!

Maybe not the right definition but it does spend a lot of its time in the garage but, when its used, it tends to cover a number of miles. Of course, doing a 2500 mile tour of Europe put on the miles this year.

Archived