Living with a 718S, impressions after a few weeks

Happy Days

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, boxsternoob56 said:

you mute the 981 by pushing the volume knob in...

That mutes the exhaust as well, doesn't it? :shutup: 

Have you tried using all the modes with the pdk in manual? 

One thing I really get about the pdk is when driving at my limit or preparing for a 'tight' overtaking manoeuvre both hands remain on the steering wheel. Precision changes.

38 minutes ago, Toeside said:

Have you tried using all the modes with the pdk in manual? 

One thing I really get about the pdk is when driving at my limit or preparing for a 'tight' overtaking manoeuvre both hands remain on the steering wheel. Precision changes.

This 

I was ambivalent about PDK when looking for my Boxster, it's just the car came along with correct spec that just happened to have PDK. However having lived with it for 5 months the above is a huge advantage, pushing on whilst keeping both hands on the wheel introduces an extra level of control and precision that I hadn't anticipated, once this is experienced it's difficult to step back from.

Thing I like about manual is that you don't have to think when driving...shifts come naturally. With a PDK, you have to think about and look at the digital readout on the dashboard to see what gear you are in, and then flick through to the appropriate gear even though the changes are fast. With a manual, shifting is by muscle memory, so you never need to take your eyes off the road to see what gear you're in, and even if all the dashboard readouts malfunctioned, you can still drive. Plus, my wife doesn't know how to drive a manual, so the car is all mine.:D 

5 minutes ago, boxtaboy said:

Thing I like about manual is that you don't have to think when driving...shifts come naturally. With a PDK, you have to think about and look at the digital readout on the dashboard to see what gear you are in, and then flick through to the appropriate gear even though the changes are fast. With a manual, shifting is by muscle memory, so you never need to take your eyes off the road to see what gear you're in, and even if all the dashboard readouts malfunctioned, you can still drive. Plus, my wife doesn't know how to drive a manual, so the car is all mine.:D 

I'm afraid I don't get this at all ... why do you need to look to see what gear you are in? Just based on the revs, which you can hear without even looking at the rev counter, you know whether you should change up (or down). I don't think "I'm in second; I need to change to 3rd", I think "I need to change to the next gear up".

I think it just isn't as intuitive to me as a manual shift. Yes, you can hear the revs and generally know when you should shift, but not as second nature to me as a manual is. Perhaps it takes time to get used to it though.

52 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

I'm afraid I don't get this at all ... why do you need to look to see what gear you are in? Just based on the revs, which you can hear without even looking at the rev counter, you know whether you should change up (or down). I don't think "I'm in second; I need to change to 3rd", I think "I need to change to the next gear up".

I don't get your point either. I have driven manual cars and sports cars all my life and I am not knocking that its just that with the pdk it offers a different aspect to driving which I find very focused. I get the gear change stuff .....35 years of that ......it has its niche

I think with a manual you're subconsciously aware of exactly which gear you are in because you have to move a lever to a specific position. I find with the PDK in manual I tend to count the gears so I know just where I am in the box. I might for example be coming up to a bend that I want to take in third, so if approaching in sixth gear I will count down the changes while keeping my eyes on the road.

11 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

nowt mutes the PSE on a 981...its one all the time just louder when its 'on' on

So there's no 'aural enhancement' through the speaker system on a 981? :whistle: 

8 minutes ago, topradio said:

I think with a manual you're subconsciously aware of exactly which gear you are in because you have to move a lever to a specific position. I find with the PDK in manual I tend to count the gears so I know just where I am in the box. I might for example be coming up to a bend that I want to take in third, so if approaching in sixth gear I will count down the changes while keeping my eyes on the road.

I understand what you mean by this...and driving a manual I instinctively know where to move the stick to go from 6th to 3rd or whatever ( or change 3rd to 4th after a bit of a blat then short shift to 6th)

2 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

er no...you must be thinking of another german mark...

It's on the latest 911 so it won't be long. :)

13 minutes ago, topradio said:

Yes, you just explained what I was trying to say, in that with the PDK that I have tried, I need to think or see which gear I'm in (on the display), in order to make a decision on where to go next, With the manual shift pattern, you know instictively what gear you're already in, and therefore no concentration needed. :)

3 minutes ago, boxtaboy said:

Yes, you just explained what I was trying to say, in that with the PDK that I have tried, I need to think or see which gear I'm in (on the display), in order to make a decision on where to go next, With the manual shift pattern, you know instictively what gear you're already in, and therefore no concentration needed. :)

Couldn't disagree more.  If anything it's completely the other way around.  In a manual there is a physical gear-lever positional aspect that means you have to know what gear you are in to know how to move the gear lever. Of course having done 10s of thousands of gear changes it all becomes completely intuitive, but still needs to be learned.  None of this is required for PDK, the paddles are always in the same place and you do exactly the same to change up or down no matter what gear you are in so not sure what thought is required here. You don't need to look at the tacho you can just feel when you need to change gear whether up or down.

13 minutes ago, boxtaboy said:

With the manual shift pattern, you know instictively what gear you're already in, and therefore no concentration needed. :)

PDK is similar to a sequential gearbox on a motorcycle.  You feel and hear what the engine is doing, and shift accordingly.  The number display should be ignored.

I don't disagree that you have to learn the manual. That's what's great about it to me actually...that not everyone can drive one. As you said, anyone can drive a PDK, but sorry..it's still not intuitive to me. I don't like flicking down 2 times to get 2 gears down or up. I'd rather just move the lever one notch. Also, although the transmissions are not PDK (double clutch), I do have paddle shifters in my other two cars (Audi and Benz), and I absolutely hate using them because they are not intuitive for me to use, the paddles move with the steering wheel, so if I turn the wheel, it's hard for me to locate the paddle to shift, and it takes all the fun out of driving for me. Different strokes I guess, and it's great that you like the PDK as the manual will probably go away sometime in the future, but I'll always take a manual over a PDK if given the choice.

9 minutes ago, Araf said:

PDK is similar to a sequential gearbox on a motorcycle.  You feel and hear what the engine is doing, and shift accordingly.  The number display should be ignored.

I used to forget what gear I was in while riding my motorcycle as well. :) To me, riding a motorcycle with the sequential gearbox required more concentration than driving a gated manual in a car too. But I get it... you guys disagree with me, so that's fine. Enjoy the paddles.

2 minutes ago, boxtaboy said:

I don't disagree that you have to learn the manual. That's what's great about it to me actually...that not everyone can drive one.

Nearly all learn on manuals in the UK and Europe as a manual licence allows you to drive either manual or auto whereas an auto licence limits you to just driving autos.

As for the paddles, they're fine if you're on a fast, open road, but you can use the gear lever too. :)

1 minute ago, boxtaboy said:

I used to forget what gear I was in while riding my motorcycle as well. :) 

But you don't need to know.  All that matters is that the engine is not labouring or screaming.  There's been many a time on a bike when I've tried to hook another gear but I'm already at the top of the 'box. :blush2: 

Maybe it's just that you are from an auto culture so learning to drive a manual well is an accomplishment and for us it is the reverse? :unsure: 

Yes, that's true...here, hardly anyone learns to drive on a manual. We are taught automatic only, and only enthusiasts find ways to learn manual if they are into cars. The majority of folks here probably view cars as appliances rather than thrilling driving machines. I wish it were the other way around like in Europe because I think driving manual helps people focus on their cars more than texting on their phones which causes accidents. Funny thing I read about once was when a car thief here in the US tried to carjack a gentleman in his Corvette. The owner got out of the car, but the car thief realized that it was manual and couldn't drive it away! :)  

9 hours ago, boxtaboy said:

I used to forget what gear I was in while riding my motorcycle as well. :) To me, riding a motorcycle with the sequential gearbox required more concentration than driving a gated manual in a car too. But I get it... you guys disagree with me, so that's fine. Enjoy the paddles.

Not at all, I completely agree with you!

Yes, Motorbikes are notorious to keep track of which gear you are in - thank god for digital gear displays!

I had a BMW 640 auto, a beautiful car that really suited the auto box, but without looking at the display there was no way of knowing which of its 8 forward gears it was currently in - pain in the arsenal to drive in "manual mode" for the reasons stated in your first post, but it was great in city traffic.

I have no truck with people who prefer the PDK but having tried one many times, it's just not for me. Give me the interaction of a manual shift in my sports car every time!

We will end up with driverless cars eventually, which will be a huge loss to those of us that like to drive. Perhaps in some ways the auto box is a step in that direction, just one less thing for the human driver to do, regardless of whether it is better or if you like it or not.

Let the debate continue!

Archived