Living with a 718S, impressions after a few weeks

Happy Days

Here's what I like, not necessarily in any order;

Handling. Sticks like glue to the road.

Heated steering wheel (:-)). Heated seats are good too.

Comfort. Not bad for a Porker.

Grip. Phenomenal.

Noise. It's no flat 6, but then again you don't have to rev it like mad to hear it. I came from a 986, so it is all good to me. Don't believe all you see on YouTube. The F4 ain't bad. Try it yourself.

Power delivery - I can't determine any turbo lag. Above 2,000 rpm power delivery is instant and linear.

Build quality. It's impressive.

Looks.

Folding mirrors.

Sound system (bog standard, not bad for what you get. I had Bose in the last car, and with the roof off, you couldn't hear any difference in quality, so why bother?)

DAB radio. I like that when you store a station, it reverts automatically to FM if there's no signal without you having to store the FM station on a separate button.

Here's what I don't like - again not in any particular order;

Nowhere to lie your phone. There is a holder in the armrest, but out of sight out of mind and all that. If it's in there, you'll forget it. Ask me how I know (about 6 times so far).

Auto stop function only stops for about 10 seconds and then starts up again without you doing anything. Scares the cr*p out of you if you're not expecting it.

Hold function is probably the stupidest system ever devised by a human being.

The heating and ventilation switches are hidden behind the gear lever. It's a manual, BTW.

Apple Car Play - ain't all that it's cracked up to be. Not that many apps available for it yet, and it doesn't work with my favourite app for traveling, TomTom Europe.

Porsche Connect. Can't see me ever using that, tbh.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of your dislikes are similar to 981 though have to say I have never had any issues with the hold function. Phone I always have in my pocket so no issue.  The stop start I think is due to the sub standard batteries Porsche uses, it just cannot maintain the voltage, you see this if you look at the volt meter when auto stopped, voltage dives down to near 12v in seconds, wasn't as much of a problem in summer but with heaters on, lights on etc it just cannot cope, my wife's Vauxhall can happily sit for minutes in autostop.   It may be worth you doing a battery charge if you havent  been doing many long journeys just to make sure.

12 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

One more thing I don't like -  the tyres skit sideways when reversing out of a car park if there are any loose stones on the driveway. Yuk!

Don't they ALL do that ;)

I think the problem is that there is a more than normal front overhang . Because of this there is a more than normal angle in relation to the front wheels and the body of the car at full lock.

Ians - what's front overhang got to do with it. The wheels don't know what body is mounted on them.

As we all know its due to the  Ackerman geometry. As Scottie would say 'ye cannae defy the laws of physics captain'

Small price to pay for such a fine handling car.

Fonzie - so do you like the car?   

4 hours ago, Happy Days said:

One more thing I don't like -  the tyres skit sideways when reversing out of a car park if there are any loose stones on the driveway. Yuk!

Just how fast do you have to be going in reverse to experience this? ?

7 hours ago, Happy Days said:

2 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Just how fast do you have to be going in reverse to experience this? ?

Slow.  My 18s seem worse than my 19s were, which surprises me.  Maybe the extra give of the taller sidewall deforms more before the tyre skips? :unsure: 

My 986 did this and so does my 718 and my guess is so do the models in between. I have no idea what the Ackerman Geometry is, but I think Porsche have set a more than normal angle of steering to reduce the turning circle. 

2 hours ago, ians said:

My 986 did this and so does my 718 and my guess is so do the models in between. I have no idea what the Ackerman Geometry is, but I think Porsche have set a more than normal angle of steering to reduce the turning circle. 

The Ackerman Linkage (if I remember) determines the angle of the steering linkage so that the wheels turn at different angles to allow the car to corner without tyre scrub. Think of a car going around a circle; the inner wheel will have to have a greater lock in it than the outer wheel. Normally the centre of convergence sits in the centre point of the rear axle. 

Still a pain when it does this, irrespective.  

I think it's a great car. If the engine proves to be reliable, 718 would have no other competitor in the market. I was not brave enough to make any purchase move last year even though I really liked the look and the rest, judging by porsche's previous engine history. If it's reliable in the next few years, it would be great/affordable choice for both brand new and used owners.

Thanks for that Happy Days. I had to do a three point turn outside my house this afternoon. Maybe due to this discussion I was more aware of this.

31 minutes ago, T24RES said:

My manual lever was never great on my 986.2, I like the ebrake ?

Understood and that's fine too, but I wonder what happens when the brake starts to loosen. With a handbrake, you can simply just pull it up further a few notches. Can't do that with a rocker lever. 

8 minutes ago, boxtaboy said:

Understood and that's fine too, but I wonder what happens when the brake starts to loosen. With a handbrake, you can simply just pull it up further a few notches. Can't do that with a rocker lever. 

Self adjusting electrickery, it's the future ?

5 minutes ago, T24RES said:

Self adjusting electrickery, it's the future ?

Ah ok. That makes sense. Still prefer the old style handbrake though. I have the parking brake lever on my wife's ML350 and I always forget that I have the parking brake on when I park on a hill. With a traditional handbrake, you can't miss it cause it sticks up. Call me old fashioned. 

it took me a while to get used to it...including getting exercise the odd occasion ie running after the car as it slowly rolled out of a parking space (as I'd forgot to engage the parking brake)...no issues now though, it's second nature (couldnt even tell you if it's a pull or a push that's how accustomed I am!)

So today I had another issue. The radio had no volume. I was about two miles from the dealer so called in just to see if I was missing a mute button or something else daft that I couldn't see. Onto the diagnostics and they discovered an issue with two front speakers and it had to be kept in for repair. These things happen.

Still, I have a loan 718S with PDK and all the goodies to try out until Monday. Think I still prefer a manual, but I'll give it a good test over the weekend.

Archived