Options and buttons

Mike Cad

27 minutes ago, Mike Cad said:

I took the bits I liked from the 981, removed the odd bit and added some new bits.

White (didn't want another red and didn't like any of the other colours).

Black Leather Interior (compared to the base interior, the leather just looks much nicer). Same as 981.

Deletion of model designation (would be too wordy otherwise). Same as 981.

Bi-Xenon with PDLS (LED's are far too expensive even though they look cool). Same as 981.

Park assist front and rear (don't need a camera really). Rear sensors only in 981, I guess I wanted the graphical representation on the cars screen, the rears only just get the beep. I don't really need something to tell me where my front is though...

PDK (had that with my last two Boxsters). Same as 981 (no arguments please :))

PASM (ride comfort really, it is noticeably better in normal mode on 20s). Same as 981.

PTV (didn't have this on my 981 but thought it would be a good thing to have this time).

Sport Chrono (I don't use launch control but I do use sport plus from time to time). Same as 981.

20-inch Carrera S wheels (as I had on the 981 I think but the styling is new, they're also painted in white)

Automatically dimming mirrors with rain sensor (because I'm lazy and am used to it). Same as 981.

Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel (had multifunction in my first Boxster, changed to Sport Design wheel on my second, now I want to control stuff with it again. I don't really care about the heating part though).

Sports seats Plus (2-way, electric) (I like the extra support, smoother leather etc). Same as 981.

Seat Heating (because in Winter it gets really cold). Same as 981.

Passenger footwell storage net (because it's free and wasn't a separate option on the 981)

Porsche Crest embossed on headrests (because it looks cool and should be standard IMO). Same as 981.

BOSE Surround Sound (had sound package plus on my first Boxster and hated it, have Bose currently and much prefer it. The premium sound system is far too expensive). Same as 981.

Connect (well I want to connect my phone for music mainly, something that was missing from my 981. Two or three times a year I might need to fire up the Apple sat nav, hoping it has improved a bit in the last few years).

So that's about it, despite the dealer insisting that I should go for the Porsche Sat Nav, at huge expense, with the potential of adding Connect Plus for even more expense... They were very insistent about resale value but I had to insist that I don't buy a car worrying about what the next owner might think.

No PSE either, I've not had it before and not missed it, if it gave a power increase I might contemplate it but to have something that just shapes a sound differently when you press a button, that comes from the Apple camp of printing your own money :)

Oh and I removed the light design package, because it is really bad... A bioluminescent jellyfish would be a far better option.

Great spec similar to mine

however it's not about worrying about what the next customer will think, no one cares about that..... it's about your investment and what it will be worth if you ever sell it.  your putting a option that costs 1600 ( inc connect plus ) quid onto a car that will probably at the very worst work out as free of charge come when you trade it in.  To be honest when I was looking at cars the ones without sat nav were quiet a few grand under the ones with it, and they sit at dealers for ages. Even if I didn't ever intend on using it I would still spec it for emergencies and because it will cost me practically nothing come trade in.

either way, that's just my opinion and the world would be very boring if we all thought the same ......congrats on the purchase, and good find re the delivery slot ! That will save you a fair few squid if you get it before the new tax fees are introduced 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Mike Cad said:

So that's about it, despite the dealer insisting that I should go for the Porsche Sat Nav, at huge expense, with the potential of adding Connect Plus for even more expense... They were very insistent about resale value but I had to insist that I don't buy a car worrying about what the next owner might think.

Well done for resisting the pressure, @Mike Cad.   I had a similar experience when we ordered our MINI Cooper a couple of years ago.  The sales guy insisted that we had to specify Sat-Nav for resale value, even though we would almost never use it and my technophobic partner hated the additional complication it would have brought.  I countered by asking the sales guy if he could assure me that I would recover the full additional upfront cost when we came to trade it in after, say, five years, otherwise it made no sense to fund it. Of course, that stopped him in his tracks!

My Approved Used Boxster has a high spec but no Sat-Nav,  and that didn't bother me at all.  I have a Europe-wide Garmin, which cost  £100 odd and works perfectly in either car on the rare occasions when we don't know where we're going.  As I understand it, mobile phone apps are every bit as good as OE Sat-Navs, and it doesn't cost a fortune to them have updated!

Having posted the above, I've just seen @Rufus's reply.  Different strokes....?

Lol

i know, 

to be honest ive bought a bright yellow one which contradicts what I said about ease of selling anyway, as I imagine that colour limits resale as well

like you said different strokes

also the bi xenons are a smart purchase my last courtesy car had them and they still have the cool 4 point leds that make it look like a zonda in the rear view mirrors.  V cool !! 

I tried to explain that Porsche connect allows someone to bring their own sat nav to the party. No expensive map updates etc. Hopefully one day, Apple may allow other sat nav products into CarPlay.

Ultimately the lack of sat nav barely affected the MGFV. Lack of IPod integration was sorely missed on my 981. You had to specify sat nav to get that. Subsequently they produced a cdr plus option but that was too late for me. CarPlay is perfect.

I won't find out till Jan exactly when I will get it. It isn't a Boxster but I don't think the Boxster and Cayman have ever been closer.

If you were looking at March but it slipped, would that £310 extra tax put you off on principle? For the sake of a few days you are looking at a significant hike in running costs.

@Mike Cad the heated steering wheel is one of my favourite toys. Flick on the heated seats and flick on the heated wheel at the same time. Toasty!

I totally agree with the others on SatNav - I use TomTom Western Europe on the phone as it just works so well and uses no data. However it's not available on CarPlay (imagine that...). What I do is to fire it up on the phone, and it plays the audio over the speakers. If you want to see the map, just use Apple Maps on carplay and clear any destinations.

On Carplay, it seems to be a bit of a flash toy that isn't really that usable. The only apps available are apple maps (I prefer TomTom as above), various US sports channels (no use to me), internet radio (why?), audiobooks and music. However when using the music, the button on the steering wheel to skip to the next track doesn't work, however it does if you just play your music via bluetooth... Mind you, it wasn't an expensive option and as the dealer said, it future proofs the car.

4 hours ago, Happy Days said:

the button on the steering wheel to skip to the next track doesn't work, however it does if you just play your music via bluetooth...

That sounds really pants, can you skip tracks on the touch screen?

20 hours ago, Mike Cad said:

That sounds really pants, can you skip tracks on the touch screen?

Yes, but that involves taking your hands off the wheel and touching the screen. These are really great cars, but let down by the tiniest of niggles like that, the stupidest Hold function (manual car) ever invented, the poor auto-dimming mirrors and the lack of anywhere handy to put your phone.

21 hours ago, Happy Days said:

Yes, but that involves taking your hands off the wheel and touching the screen. These are really great cars, but let down by the tiniest of niggles like that, the stupidest Hold function (manual car) ever invented, the poor auto-dimming mirrors and the lack of anywhere handy to put your phone.

Do you know if that's a limitation on the phone OS, or something with the PCM implementation of CarPlay?

On 16/12/2016 at 6:57 PM, Whaleblue said:

What's poor about the auto-dim mirrors? I specced them, and love the feature on our VW Golf.

The dimmed area only covers about 80% of the mirror. There's an un-dimmed strip of about 5mm right around the outside of the mirrors, both outside and inside. Every now and again you get blinded when the rear following car's lights hit the un-dimmed bit. This is both outside and inside. Our other car is a Golf too and it's perfect. 

On 17/12/2016 at 9:45 AM, Mike Cad said:

Do you know if that's a limitation on the phone OS, or something with the PCM implementation of CarPlay?

I don't know. We both use iPhones and it's the same with both models. (6&7)

20 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

The dimmed area only covers about 80% of the mirror. There's an un-dimmed strip of about 5mm right around the outside of the mirrors, both outside and inside. Every now and again you get blinded when the rear following car's lights hit the un-dimmed bit. This is both outside and inside. Our other car is a Golf too and it's perfect. 

Hmm, that sounds most odd. As they all do it, I guess it's not just a fault on your car. Did you mention it to the dealer?

14 hours ago, Whaleblue said:

Hmm, that sounds most odd. As they all do it, I guess it's not just a fault on your car. Did you mention it to the dealer?

My dealer is 40 miles away. Only one here in NI, and I haven't been back since I drove it at night. We're borrowing a macan next week to see if it would be worth getting instead of our Golf so I'll mention all the wee niggles then. But they'll most likely say that they're all like that. 

For a superbly engineered car, the small niggles do spoil it a bit, but they're still really well built and impressive cars.  

22 hours ago, Mike Cad said:

White or Carrara white. Hmmm decisions. In the absence of a dealer with both flavours, relying on photos isn't the best way. Still have some time left to make up my mind.

For what it's worth I had this same dilemma. My OPC had both colours in the showroom and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference. Nor could the sales manager, he had to get the paperwork out on both cars to see which was which!

So I went for plain white as I couldn't justify paying a premium for something I wouldn't notice and I've no regrets 13 months later.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 6:49 PM, Whaleblue said:

Same as on BMW, no idea why this is the case on the newer cars. My 435 has a band of dead spot that you can see, the main bit is a bit blue, the rest clear. My 650 (from 2007) doesn't. Then again that doesn't have mirrors like surf boards stuck on the side of the car either.

One thing I wish I had was dimming mirrors. With the number of fashion jeeps about it's quite bad at night.

Just on the sat nav (or sat nag as my mate calls it :-)) - I totally agree - I have TomTom on the phone that's really good and didn't think it warranted a £££ spend. Pity is isn't carplay enabled...

However - we've just bought a 6 month old Macan S Diesel as a Golf replacement and it has a load of options that I didn't spec on the 718 as I thought that they weren't worth while. So it will be nice to compare in a few months' time and see what could be done without and what really are useful.

The 'uninvited' optional extras on the Macan are (from memory); PDK (standard); the groovy swivelling PDLS headlight things; sat nav; TV (why the heck would you want TV in a car? Anyway...); split zone heating; 14 way electric seats with seat memory; F&R parking camera surround view thingymebobs; lane keeping assist; connect plus. These are the main options that I could have specced on the Boxster but didn't think they were worthwhile. Apparently it also has internet connection too, but why? Just use your phone, no?

The manual 718 has as these options; full leather (in blue, naturally); carplay; heated seats; multifunction steering wheel (heated); Power steering plus; dim-dip mirrors; F&R parking sensors; folding mirrors; cruise control;

It will be interesting to swop between the two cars and see what is invaluable. I don't do track days and therefore can't see the benefit in sport chrono or lowered suspension (speed bumps are bad around here without being 15mm lower!).

Archived