16" wheels on an S

stevevw

I am about to buy a car at last, an S. The 18" wheels need to be refurbished. So can I fit some original 16" Boxster wheels  that I have been hoarding for the last 10 years just to keep it off the ground and not sitting on axlestands while they are away.

1 hour ago, stevevw said:

I am about to buy a car at last, an S. The 18" wheels need to be refurbished. So can I fit some original 16" Boxster wheels  that I have been hoarding for the last 10 years just to keep it off the ground and not sitting on axlestands while they are away.

I don't think 16's will clear the larger calipers.  I'm not fully sure on it, but reasonably certain.

Someone will know... just got to wait it out

2 hours ago, 89rallye said:

what's the part number for s calipers, i am not sure if mine are just painted or have been upgraded, i had 16's on mine can anyone tell from this picture not great but best one i have

IMG_0792_zpssporhxkm.jpg

My guess would be solid discs = painted calipers. 

Hard to tell from the pic though

30 minutes ago, jimk04 said:

I bet they would fit. Look how much room is under a 17. Tonnes of room to go am inch smaller

You say that, but this is an 18 inch wheel...

300708d1220030115-oem-5-spoke-light-weig

If you lose 2 inches from diameter, you're probably losing an inch off the clearance.  Looks to me like there'd be very little (if any) clearance left for the caliper.

1 hour ago, jimk04 said:

I bet they would fit. Look how much room is under a 17. Tonnes of room to go am inch smaller

No, they won't.

1 minute ago, 89rallye said:

So mine are painted? Oh well better than black?

Better? :unsure:  It's probably increased unsprung weight. ;)

8 minutes ago, 89rallye said:

So mine are painted? Oh well better than black?

Some are unpainted aluminium (possibly just the 2.5), and you can actually get them looking quite nice with a dremel.   People still paint them, so it's not uncommon to see red/yellow calipers.

4 hours ago, jimk04 said:

Its not the gap betweem the caliper and the edge of the rim thats the problem. the S wheels have shaped spokes that are designed to just clear the caliper. I dont think non S wheels would get onto the hub without the spoke hitting the calipers

On 12/24/2016 at 1:35 PM, Loz987 said:

Would spacers address that? 

9 hours ago, EXY said:

For just sitting holding the car up, probably :)

I'm still not sure that they wouldn't foul. :unsure: 

Archived