Corrosion?

718as

34 minutes ago, 718as said:

I can't see any reference to corrosion in that article, so don't know why you refer to it.

Any car can corrode so buying an older one you need to have it checked over for bodywork and mechanical defects - in this regard it's no different to buying any used car.

If you don't mind me saying you are asking a lot of questions - they seem completely random and without any real point to them.  If you are looking to buy a Boxster then it would be much better to decide what budget you have and what model/s you are seriously looking at, then ask specific questions if you need help with something.  There is a mine of information on here on all Boxster models if you look through the forum.

22 minutes ago, Gorsh said:

I can't see any reference to corrosion in that article, so don't know why you refer to it.

Any car can corrode so buying an older one you need to have it checked over for bodywork and mechanical defects - in this regard it's no different to buying any used car.

If you don't mind me saying you are asking a lot of questions - they seem completely random and without any real point to them.  If you are looking to buy a Boxster then it would be much better to decide what budget you have and what model/s you are seriously looking at, then ask specific questions if you need help with something.  There is a mine of information on here on all Boxster models if you look through the forum.

Referred to in the third last paragraph of the 981 section...

The 986 is susceptible to a lot of corrosion, just not in the typical sense.

There's little oxidisation of the chassis, unless the car has been in a bump, due to a well-protected finishing process from factory.   Where you do get issues, however, is all the stupid little fittings that are carbon steel bolts in aluminium housings, or vice versa.

Top Drop link bolts will get impossibly stuck, wheel bolt seats will dissolve, camber bolts will seize to the bush sleeves and need cutting out in many cases.   Only other issues are the norm - steel cross headed bolts on the underside and bumper fixings, which will seize and dissolve away on the cross heads.

5 minutes ago, Llewelyn said:

I've just noticed this is in the 981 forum! Even more ridiculous!

To be fair the corrosion in the article referred to a 981, and I presume the original poster is looking to buy a 981...?

“The 981 is a good overall package,” reckons Bedford, “but there have been some problems with corrosion around the underbody that did not occur with earlier cars. It will never have the iconic status of some of Porsche’s old air-cooled cars, but it’s a good everyday car that doesn’t need to be locked away to protect its value.”

That's a new one on me....

12 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Referred to in the third last paragraph of the 981 section...

Thanks - TBH I didn't even read the 981 section as I assumed any corrosion issues mentioned would be about the older cars.  The OP never mentions which car he is planning to buy hence my other remarks.

1 hour ago, 718as said:

Why not introduce your self in the "newbie" section and say what your actually looking  for and price range?

Si

718as 

I think the guys are right, you are posting a lot of individual threads asking separate questions....it would be better if you just posted a single one introducing yourself, what you are looking for and asking advice...maybe asking for specifics views as you go...

Happy New Year too :)

Yes 718as, it would be interesting to see your thoughts re what you are looking for and what price range together with any questions/concerns you have....

We are a friendly bunch on here and would be happy to hear about you and help with your search!

The problem with a general post with all questions in one place is that some of the questions get skipped past, and others are answered at great length, usually with a couple of polarizing views, which becomes an argument, then the thread slides off at a tangent......

If people don't want to join in with individual discussions then don't reply. :)

Think of the positives. 

1. I've increased the banter and discussions in 981 section ?

2. Some of the discussions will help others.?

3. I post when I have a question in my mind. Creating one thread will just be a mess.?

I'm happy to reduce posts and log some on another forum if it helps.?

thanks 

7 hours ago, Llewelyn said:

“The 981 is a good overall package,” reckons Bedford, “but there have been some problems with corrosion around the underbody that did not occur with earlier cars. It will never have the iconic status of some of Porsche’s old air-cooled cars, but it’s a good everyday car that doesn’t need to be locked away to protect its value.”

That's a new one on me....

Having owned a 987 and a 981 the areas for concern (on corrosion) have been around quality of fasteners, hose joints and hose clips. The 987 which was 10 years old showed no real signs of body corrosion and it wasn't a garage queen. Some areas on the front alloy sub frame but only surface based.

The 981 looks even better but still poor quality fasteners :mellow:

12 hours ago, Llewelyn said:

I think corroded fixings is acceptable, often they are connecting different metals which doesn't help!

I don't, it's just penny pinching by Porsche which will cost the owner many £££s down the line in increased maintenance costs. It strikes me as a calculated decision as dissimilar metals corrosion is a well known issue. When the engineer designed an aluminium bolt through a steel hub, they knew it was likely to seize, especially when you throw a bit of salty water at it. I think Porsche just assume that by the time the issue emerges, the car will be in the hands of those who are not their target market for selling new cars to (like me?)

Archived