Occasional miscellaneous clunk/knock

Patrick Bateman

Don't expect any joy here as it's a rather vague description! Just started doing it this morning so will see if anything changes.

Best way to describe it would be a very light sounding clunk/knock, seemingly completely random and coming from the left/rear-ish of the car as far as I can tell. Only seems to happen at around a constant ~30-40mph (not 100% sure on this though, just might not be able to hear it at higher speeds), no difference whether I'm accelerating, braking or going over bumps in the road, have only really noticed it on completely smooth road.

The sound is something I'd associate with the suspension but I'd expect a rough road to expose that, this feels totally random then might not happen again for a while.

Is it upon gear change or when you lift off the gas? It could be engine mount if you have some high miles on the car. 

Not something loose in boot / storage box on rear shelf / under seat?

Read a few forum posts on various forums where the above has been the culprit of an unusual clunking.

1 hour ago, edc said:

Is it upon gear change or when you lift off the gas? It could be engine mount if you have some high miles on the car. 

Nope, constant speed going along in a 30 etc.

33 minutes ago, Boxstercol said:

Not something loose in boot / storage box on rear shelf / under seat?

Read a few forum posts on various forums where the above has been the culprit of an unusual clunking.

I'll need to check under the seat, otherwise no.

Definitely nothing loose in any of the cubby holes or behind the seats. This morning it did it at 3 roundabouts on the bounce as I was braking and changing gear approaching them.

If it's an engine mount why would that happen at such low speed and relative smoothness yet caning the thing on the back roads home, cornering hard, braking hard and going on/off the throttle multiple times in second gear doesn't do it. :rolleyes:

I had a phantom noise/light knock that annoyed the hell out of me on my 986.

I did all the usual and had it inspected multiple times and found nothing out of the ordinary although it is difficult to tell visually as it gets quite crusty underneath!

But after changing coffin arms,droplinks,track rod and the front control arms and also being £500 lighter the car drove fantastic but there was still that annoying noise albeit a bit quieter.

In the end I changed the front and rear anti roll bar bushes myself and surprise surprise the noise had gone completely!

I would start with those bushes first, about £50 for both sets and fit them yourself as it's very easy.

I wished I had done them first as I think that was probably the noise all along ?

If it's nothing obvious inside the car then you will have to start inspecting the suspension. The usual culprit for a knocking noise is the rear diagonal arm. This is often more of a snooker balls type noise rather than a very occasional clunk or knock as you describe. You'd hear it over a bumpy B road or cobbled street and sometimes even over speed bumps or dropped kerbs.

11 hours ago, Araf said:

Passenger seat belt buckle on the seat or door trim? :huh: 

That's a journey to work and back with the passenger belt fastened and no noise. Don't want to risk jinxing myself but it appears to be the buckle against the hard plastic edge at the door, seems odd to have never done it before though given it always rests there.

16 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's a journey to work and back with the passenger belt fastened and no noise. Don't want to risk jinxing myself but it appears to be the buckle against the hard plastic edge at the door, seems odd to have never done it before though given it always rests there.

This is possible as mine started rattling for the first time this last week, because the sliding plastic clip that keeps it in position had moved, allowing it more movement options and hence a clunk. However I would have thought it would be pretty obvious if this was the noise, I knew straight away what was causing the problem.

I've got an occasional knock which I don't believe is the suspension as I don't get it going over uneven road surfaces. It seems to be coming from under the front of the car. I could be on a nice even stretch of road and hear it and was thinking it could be the protective plastic plates on the underside rattling. Haven't had time to check just yet. As I've not long had the car and not knowing the history I'm slightly paranoid I've bought a duffer ?

On 13/01/2017 at 10:51 PM, Batesy66 said:

I've got an occasional knock which I don't believe is the suspension as I don't get it going over uneven road surfaces. It seems to be coming from under the front of the car. I could be on a nice even stretch of road and hear it and was thinking it could be the protective plastic plates on the underside rattling. Haven't had time to check just yet. As I've not long had the car and not knowing the history I'm slightly paranoid I've bought a duffer ?

When was the last time you saw the cat ??....?

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered the source of my clunk.........offside front drop link was buggered. I replaced it on Friday and what I thought was going to be 30 minute job turned into a 6 hour slog as the top bolt was seized but after much thumping with a hammer, half a can of WD40 and now arms like Garth, I no longer have a clunk. ?

Archived