Silverstone

Happy Days

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have a search on the forum as this gets asked now and again....

...if its the 'new car' one then you should get a mix of Ice Hill/low friction surface/kick plate/fast driving and launch control plus some lovely

IMG_3862.jpg

20160225_163514.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

On both occasions I opted for before taking delivery, gives you a good idea of what the car can do. But it's dealers choice, up to you. Either way it's a great experience.

It's worth having a good look around the website at http://www.porsche.com/silverstone/en/porschedrivingtracks/tracks/ in advance and watching the videos (except the offroad one) to see what's likely to interest you. If you wish, you'll be able to try a bit of each and then tell your instructor which one(s) you'd like to spend more time on - you don't have to decide at the start of the session exactly what you want to do.

Personally, I only used the straights a couple of times to try out launch control (insane!) as it was the only time I was ever likely to do that. I probably spent about equal time on the other four elements, and they're all good in their own way. The kick plate is really useful for practising handling skids (and good fun too), the ice hill probably I found slightly less absorbing though worth doing a few times. The low friction circuit, even though you don't go very fast, was really good for practising delicate throttle control and goof fun too - deliberately sliding the car and/or trying doughnuts (not as easy to sustain as it appears when you see Sebastian Vettel do it on the F1 finishing straight!). And even though I have no aspirations to be a track demon, both handling circuits were excellent for putting various things together - they're quite compact, so you have little time to congratulate yourself for coping with one feature of the circuit before the next one is upon you.

Ooh, and as Boxsternoob says above, the lunch and snacks are wonderful!

Another good thing about it was just how knowledgeable about Porsche cars the instructors are, even though they are mostly not Porsche employees. They knew more about the cars than any Porsche salesman I've ever talked to (not that that's saying a huge amount ;)), so if there's anything you're not sure about, it's a good chance to ask all the questions you want.

10 hours ago, Leonard said:

If you took the other half would they be bored out of their minds? :D

My wife came with me. There are a few cars downstairs and a small shop selling the usual range of Porsche-priced items, but if you got there at all early you may have already looked at those while you were waiting for your session to start. While you're driving, guests can stay in the restaurant/lounge which has big glass windows overlooking about half of the track elements (though some are a bit far away to see properly), and if the weather is fine they can also go up to the open roof area to watch from there. The cafe in the lounge does teas and coffees all day (can't remember if the delicious snacks are available all day or only at mid-morning and mid-afternoon break times). Your instructor will probably join you over lunch which is another opportunity to pick their knowledge and have an interesting chat.

Overall I'd say if your OH isn't interested at all in cars they might be bored, but if they took a book or a tablet to entertain them, it's at least nice comfortable surroundings and a free coffee shop! If they are interested in cars, they would probably quite enjoy it.

10 hours ago, Leonard said:

Best to ask TOH yourself?. MOH loved the visits, good food and conversation with other visitors and she was taken around the course as a passenger by one of the instructors.

As an aside and coincidentally, I received yesterday an invite to a full days Silverstone Driving Experience driving the full Porsche range. I snapped their hand off and accepted by return. I'm really looking forward to it?

11 hours ago, Leonard said:

I booked my wife in for the same experience as mine - cost was circa £500 I think but as a one off worth it as she loved it.  You can also share the experience an do a bit each, but you both miss out on making the most of the half day there.

25 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

As an aside and coincidentally, I received yesterday an invite to a full days Silverstone Driving Experience driving the full Porsche range. I snapped their hand off and accepted by return. I'm really looking forward to it?

I've done that Kevin, its really good! Both of us, my wife and I ,were invited.

When we got to the Centre there were a lot of people and I said to my wife it looked like we wouldn't get much time in the cars. How wrong I was! We drove cars from the whole range over the day spending a decent amount of time in each. Highlight of the day for me was being taken out by the Carrera Cup winner for a spin round the Porsche track! You will really enjoy it.

19 hours ago, Happy Days said:

Booked in for Feb 10th for the Silverstone Driving Experience jobby. Who has done it and what would you recommend?

I've been four times, really enjoyed them all. As others have said the instructors are Porsche enthusiasts who really know the cars. I went after I had my car each time, deliberately. For me it was tuition  for my car but each to their own. You will certainly enjoy it!

And as others have said, the food etc is great!

Wife and myself had a great time. We stayed at Silverstone Golf Club which is a couple of minutes along the road from the Centre. They have near brand new chalets near the 18th hole. The chalet was immaculate. The biggest breakfast I've ever had. I can really recommend the place. Have a good time.

Beloved is coming along too (although I secretly believe that it's more for the lunch than anything else). I'll be driving a manual 718S however our other car is a Macan SD and I wouldn't mind a wee go in one of those too just to compare. I'm looking forward to it, although it'll be a long day with flights from Belfast to cover as well. In and out in one day.

25 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

Beloved is coming along too (although I secretly believe that it's more for the lunch than anything else). I'll be driving a manual 718S however our other car is a Macan SD and I wouldn't mind a wee go in one of those too just to compare. I'm looking forward to it, although it'll be a long day with flights from Belfast to cover as well. In and out in one day.

If you can get a go in the Macan SD you will be amazed with its road holding whilst driving 'enthusiastically'. I was keeping up with most other cars.

Great day.....you will really enjoy it

I paid for 90 mins for myself and for wife, she did like it. If she were just "sitting waiting", I'm not sure she'd be so happy - take a well-charged ipad or similar (I assume they have free wifi?).

We arrived the day before Silverstone bike GP, it was chaos, and barely got to down any of the tasty snacks :(

Ice hill a couple of times, track and low friction, but I could have gone over the kick plate all morning :)

Rather ironically been offered a 718 driving day today. Be great to compare my newly acquired 981S to 718S and see if i was right about acquiring the older car for the engine ;) I'm down that way for Valentines so if 15th Feb is available will take the missus (she could drive to). Otherwise think I will take a mate lol. Cheers for feedback on taking other half. I hopefully have another more general day to take as well so good info to have.

13 hours ago, Leonard said:

Rather ironically been offered a 718 driving day today. Be great to compare my newly acquired 981S to 718S and see if i was right about acquiring the older car for the engine ;) I'm down that way for Valentines so if 15th Feb is available will take the missus (she could drive to). Otherwise think I will take a mate lol. Cheers for feedback on taking other half. I hopefully have another more general day to take as well so good info to have.

It'll be interesting to see your back to back comparison. Having had an F6 and now an F4T, I hear the difference, but certainly don't feel it. The 718S pulls like a train from 2k and goes all the way to red line, but there's no need to rev them out like the F6. Just change up. The torque is still there, at any engine speed over 2k. It's not worse at all, just different. I suspect the handling will be exactly the same.

2 hours ago, Happy Days said:

It'll be interesting to see your back to back comparison. Having had an F6 and now an F4T, I hear the difference, but certainly don't feel it. The 718S pulls like a train from 2k and goes all the way to red line, but there's no need to rev them out like the F6. Just change up. The torque is still there, at any engine speed over 2k. It's not worse at all, just different. I suspect the handling will be exactly the same.

I know it will be an awesome drive.  I just don't think that engine configuration with that type of power delivery should be in a open top sports car. There would be no joy in it for me personally. Saying that I am looking forward to trying the Cayman derivative as that could be a crushing B Road weapon. Imagine if they offered a 4S option...

I'm now booked in for The 15th Feb at 10.20 so if anyone else is around I look forward to having a catch up :)

I'm also in for Tuesday 14th  10:20.  It will be interesting to see if they can sell us 981 drivers a 718 :D (I did drive the 718 before I plumped for the 981 but obviously I've got to know the 981 much more now and know what it can do. We will see what the 718 can do when pushed more than on a typical test drive).

19 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I'm also in for Tuesday 14th  10:20.  It will be interesting to see if they can sell us 981 drivers a 718 :D (I did drive the 718 before I plumped for the 981 but obviously I've got to know the 981 much more now and know what it can do. We will see what the 718 can do when pushed more than on a typical test drive).

Nice one, same slot too. I drove the 718 too, but am keen to be shown what it can do. I'm hoping I can transfer some of that to the 981 as I'm still learning

12 hours ago, Leonard said:

I know it will be an awesome drive.  I just don't think that engine configuration with that type of power delivery should be in a open top sports car. 

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but can you please clarify why a F4T should not be in an open top car?  Over the last 14 years I've owned a 986, a 987S and currently a 981 and have spent approx 8 hours driving 718 and 718S courtesy of Porsche driving experience Silverstone and a days loan. The 718's have impressed me and I've talked at length with Porsche drivers and engineers and understand the 718 as being a natural progression and in no way unsuitable for a Boxster. As one pointed out to me, the 4 cylinder layout worked quite well in the 356! 

9 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but can you please clarify why a F4T should not be in an open top car?  Over the last 14 years I've owned a 986, a 987S and currently a 981 and have spent approx 8 hours driving 718 and 718S courtesy of Porsche driving experience Silverstone and a days loan. The 718's have impressed me and I've talked at length with Porsche drivers and engineers and understand the 718 as being a natural progression and in no way unsuitable for a Boxster. As one pointed out to me, the 4 cylinder layout worked quite well in the 356! 

Personal preference but I want my open top sports cars to be as aurally delightful as possible and to need to rev them out to really get the best performance (and noise) out of them. The low end grunt and big slabs of mid range torque are more suited to a hyper hot hatch/or big GT/Rally car in MY opinion :) Why I wouldn't mind at all having a 718 4S Cayman as probably be an awesome combo of all 3 of the above

Archived