Silverstone

Happy Days

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2017 at 4:26 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

For those who sing the praises of their 718's that's fine, each to their own. I have driven several 718's over many days, but it's not for me, no thanks! I doubt Ferrari will ever dump their V8s and V12s for a 4 cylinder in their aspirational sports cars, no sir, they understand their market!.

Errmmm you might be disappointed again as Ferrari release a V6 next year so much for understanding their market? That half the cylinders now gone. Again down to emissions, things change im afraid.

8 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Not a 4 cylinder though....!

Strange comparison as in the real world dropping to a V6 is a 50% reduction in cylinders , whereas the Porsche 6 cylinder is a reduction of 33%.

Its not about understanding their market at all, is about being told to change is a world driven by emissions and fuel economy. At the end of the day we may not like it but they want to continue to sell their cars and engines must change.

It hasn't got anything to do with understanding markets. Of course they both do. Ferrari are in a completely different position to Porsche as they do not belong to a pool. Ferrari can propose their own emissions targets as they are a low volume seller. So they negotiate a reduction level with the commissioner. In fact they missed their own target but a 400,000 euro fine isn't going to break the bank for them. They can retain V8's and V12's, downsizing the engines and adding hybrid features or turbos. That still produces 250g/km for the V8 turbo which is the low end Ferrari. Porsche needs to come in significantly under that. To illustrate, a 911 Carrera S would need to hit 155g/km by 2020. Of course reductions are across the fleet so reductions are not for each model and engine type but it's a good example of the kind of challenge Porsche faces.

On 2/25/2017 at 3:43 PM, Mike Cad said:

....and for every lap you'll have to plant a tree.

Not a problem.  I've got plenty of laps in credit already. :D 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vortex247 said:

Thanks, that's also answered my next question as I've just purchased an approved used 718. I think I might have to make polite enquiries!

Andy, did you have to negotiate or was it just offered?

I think the dealers put you forward for it,  my invite was 7 months after buying my 981, it probably depends a bit on their Callander of events, but having a word with your sales rep and expressing your interest should ensure you aren't forgotten.

1 hour ago, Vortex247 said:

Thanks, that's also answered my next question as I've just purchased an approved used 718. I think I might have to make polite enquiries!

Andy, did you have to negotiate or was it just offered?

Came out of the blue for me and was greatly appreciated - loved it ??

I think you get an experience in the car you are buying (if buying new), but buying used approved from an OPC will probably get you invites to quite a few different events. I bought from Nottingham in October and was invited to the 718 drive day. I since been invited to a clay pigeon shoot event, with a drive in a new porker and lunch included. Long may it continue ?

Archived