Silverstone

Happy Days

The F6 v F4 debate is a bit like deciding between two babes, one blonde and one brunette. You might love one while I might love the other; either way, there's no real loser. 

For me (having had a F6 as my last car) the fact that you don't have to be doing over 5,000 rpm to get the full experience is an advantage that the F4 has, however my licence might be under some pressure as a result! Full torque at 1,900 rpm works for me. Always.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having owned 3 Boxsters so far - 986, 987 and now 981 and all in S variants, it will be interesting to see how much the difference of F6 v F4 at Silverstone is next week. I am quite open minded and have just loved driving all of them over the last 12 years (even with plastic rear window) but the only downside I can see in these 2 is the jump in price from my used OPC 981 S with lots of toys to the 718 S.

All down to individual preference and the cashola I am thinking.

16 hours ago, Happy Days said:

The F6 v F4 debate is a bit like deciding between two babes, one blonde and one brunette. You might love one while I might love the other; either way, there's no real loser. 

For me (having had a F6 as my last car) the fact that you don't have to be doing over 5,000 rpm to get the full experience is an advantage that the F4 has, however my licence might be under some pressure as a result! Full torque at 1,900 rpm works for me. Always.

Having had a 718S on order, needing to cancel, and finding myself in a 987.2 I feel I can give a reasonably unbiased opinion on the F6 v. F4T.

And it would be to wholeheartedly agree with the essence of what HD says here. I'm loving the sound and thrill of occasionally being able to push the F6 into its F1-car-ish emulation mode. It's intoxicating.

The 718 is a completely different animal. Actually, no it isn't. It's the same animal with a completely different heart. The huge wave of power from 2000rpm is its own joy.

I'm in love with my Cayman, but she knows she's not a wife, but a mistress. And a chap might need more than one. A 718 Boxster S would be a most welcome addition!

1 hour ago, Whaleblue said:

And it would be to wholeheartedly agree with the essence of what HD says here. I'm loving the sound and thrill of occasionally being able to push the F6 into its F1-car-ish emulation mode. It's intoxicating.

Ironic when you consider that the biggest criticism of F1 changing from V10/V8 to V6 was that the noise wasn't as good. :)

Well just returned home from Silverstone, all I can say is

I'm still buzzin, what a great experience it is, the organisation, the connection with the instructor, plus the capability of these cars. I can't do a proper comparison to my 981s due to me not having driven it anywhere near a track, but I must say the 718 Boxster/Cayman is an impressive piece of kit. I thought I was doing ok until I asked the instructor if I could have a go as a passenger, wow, just wow.

i recommend you ask if you have time.

Great to meet @Greenman along with @PEZ 9815 for a chinwag over the food. I think we all thought the same thing, the biggest talking point of the sound out the back never came into it as we were all concentrating so much on driving and enjoying all the different sections, taking on board the instruction from the passenger seat.

sorry for the rambling on, I think the adrenaline is making me type funny

Yeh, good to meet Forest and Pez, I'll second everything above. I had a great time, the cars were great, my instructor asked me what I thought of the engine sound and i hadn't got a clue as I had been far to busy concentrating on braking points, turn in points etc etc.  

It was great feeling like a hero when I got a corner just right until I would then balls up the next!. A couple of corners I found particular tricky with my natural line being a long way from the 'correct' ideal racing line.  There were only a couple of corners where you could induce any significant oversteer, these cars certainly have plenty of grip.

Did see a couple of BoXa members cars (gents above I think ??).

Also there was Richard Attwood - who was one of the instructors today!! Legend. Total legend.

Tried Boxster and Boxster S and Cayman and Cayman S. 

Awesome fun - new 718 very capable - the S with carbon ceramics brakes was mega! 

Horrid dead inch of brake pedal travel - but once they had a small bit of heat in that goes - oh my god - mega feel and power (never tried carbon ceramic before).

Highlighted the (to my ears) awful new engine tone - mega performance - but sounds dire even with sports exhaust (just extra drone / volume).

Really good instructor - (ex beds traffic officer) allowed the car to move about - politely asked for me to reign it in after two cars - as they have to preserve tyres a bit - which was fair play.

As per mine / really adjustable chassis - stunning grip / feel / balance.

Downside is makes mine seem an even better car / amazing handling etc and a proper 6 cyl howl .... loved using it (for the last time) today - eargh.

GF had a great Valentine's Day and didn't crash!! Really enjoyed herself nice window seat and food overlooking the circuit / the morning session.

Even got more free tat in the form of a nice notepad.

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

Fanatstic day 

Awesome fun - new 718 very capable - the S with carbon ceramics brakes was mega! 

Horrid dead inch of brake pedal travel - but once they had a small bit of heat in that goes - oh my god - mega feel and power (never tried carbon ceramic before).

Yes, the loaded carmine red Cayman had the PCCB (maybe others), I was doing the launch control with this, once you got the confidence hard braking at the braking line and you were stopped in about half the distance to the corner. I was in a base Boxster after this and almost didn't make the turn at the end of the long straight first time around having accustomed to the PCCB.

Anyone else there this afternoon?  Also for those that have been already this week - do you get lunch, or do I need to grab something before I get there?  Invite says arrive at 2:30pm and drive at 3pm - so suggests not much time for any lunch, but detailed info says lunch is followed by driving (or other way around for morning session).

38 minutes ago, Pandy said:

Anyone else there this afternoon?  Also for those that have been already this week - do you get lunch, or do I need to grab something before I get there?  Invite says arrive at 2:30pm and drive at 3pm - so suggests not much time for any lunch, but detailed info says lunch is followed by driving (or other way around for morning session).

Not sure for that time slot, we were on 10:50 slot and had lunch after. The next group after us had lunch first and then their driving session. You could try giving them a call before hand to check if food is available

23 minutes ago, Forest said:

Not sure for that time slot, we were on 10:50 slot and had lunch after. The next group after us had lunch first and then their driving session. You could try giving them a call before hand to check if food is available

Thanks -  I just called to check - no lunch :( - just afternoon tea.  Weather forecast looks like it'll be raining too - wet track should make it interesting - although not so good for any launch control starts.

2 hours ago, Pandy said:

Thanks -  I just called to check - no lunch :( - just afternoon tea.  Weather forecast looks like it'll be raining too - wet track should make it interesting - although not so good for any launch control starts.

Shame about lunch, I'm sure the afternoon tea will be fine. Launch is still pretty impressive, even with the colder temps yesterday. You'll have a great day, so much to take in

10 hours ago, Forest said:

I was on the 10.50 slot :D

20170215_121305_zpsjok1fjd8.jpg

Was an amazing morning.

Instructor was great and my synopsis for the day was that the best car there was..... the basic 2L with manual box :D Perfectly balanced and probably all you need on the road :)

Archived