Hard top

big mike

I'm not sure if this is the proper section ( I was going to use selling?) so please delete if necessary,

I have a hardtop for my car and unsure if I will ever use it, I had thought as the car will be kept outside it may be best to keep for winter but think the soft top would be ok. There is also the fact it may be a bonus and nice to have if I sell making it a little more desirable?

So- am I to late to sell now to get a decent price (wait till October time?) and can I get some pointers on price from those in the know,

I had thought around £4-450but really unsure as to realistic price, also I'm in north east Scotland which may hamper sale.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I looked for one for a while and your price is spot on for being in the reasonable bracket depending on condition. I have seen some sell for more but that was around London area. As long as yours is in good condition (no rust bubbles and works) and a good colour you should see £450 easily.

Personally i would keep it and sell it with the car, you'll recoup that £450 back and probably more. 

Quite a few people keep them when they sell the car, or suggest that one is available at an extra agreed price (which your figure is decent by the way).

I personally don't see the point in them unless you live in a horrendously cold part of the world and use the car all winter and want the extra comfort.

It is clever than you can essentially have a Cayman and a Boxster in one.

If you're sure that you don't want it then advertise it now.  If it doesn't sell, advertise it again in October.

Hard tops rarely achieve their full worth when sold as part of a package, which is why so many are sold on their own.

With regards to your location, suggest that any purchaser has the roof locks fitted to their car first, and then collects as part of a Scottish short break, with you (or someone local) adjusting the top to fit their car. :) 

I have been looking for a hard top for my 986 and interested Mike.

What colour is it and does it have everything to enable quick fit to  my car?

I would probably need to get it painted - not many in Viola! But very interested.

3 minutes ago, Rav said:

I have been looking for a hard top for my 986 and interested Mike.

What colour is it and does it have everything to enable quick fit to  my car?

I would probably need to get it painted - not many in Viola! But very interested.

Your car would need the hardtop fitting kit installed first before you can fit the top.

9 minutes ago, big mike said:

Cheers for the reply lads, hardtop is attic silver,

I obviously have the fitting kit on my car,is it easier to remove to make the sale more desirable

I would leave it on the car, you won't get any more for removing it and you'll need to covers for where the locks were.

29 minutes ago, That986 said:

I would leave it on the car, you won't get any more for removing it and you'll need to covers for where the locks were.

Agreed - though you could swap the buyer's plastic bungs for your fitting kit, when they arrive with you.

The bolts can be a pig to do - especially if you drop one, so I'd recommend they have the kit installed before making the journey.  There's plenty available on eBayand I'm sure the price is similar from Porsche.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=boxster+hard+top+fitting+kit&_sop=15

If you are not in need of money desperately (shyate happens some months, we have all been there :) ) I would recommend to keep it. I just had a long round trip two days ago, London - lewes - Brighton. Patchy rain and desperate cold, hard-top makes you feel somehow safer among those large lorries on m25 ? 

I bought mine for £250 and a collected it in Edinburgh. I didn't mind the drive from Leeds for a good priced accessory. I've seen two at the same price since but realize I have no use for one really, unless I put it on Sunday night and took it off on Saturday Morning. to me, POINTLESS!

3 hours ago, That986 said:

Not sure you need covers, but I wouldn't remove them either. Pig of a job. 

Ps. I got my fitting kit from Prestige Salvage" in Leeds. A porsche breaker. £30 including the whole bracket that mounts to the body. Result! 

1 minute ago, Loz987 said:

Not sure you need covers, but I wouldn't remove them either. Pig of a job. 

Ps. I got my fitting kit from Prestige Salvage" in Leeds. A porsche breaker. £30 including the whole bracket that mounts to the body. Result! 

I thought there was some kind of plastic cover over the holes where the locks go?

3 minutes ago, That986 said:

I thought there was some kind of plastic cover over the holes where the locks go?

Yeah, but it would be like being the guy who saves the cellophane screen protector that comes on his new iphone for when he sells it on... just not necessary.  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

Yeah, but it would be like being the guy who saves the cellophane screen protector that comes on his new iphone for when he sells it on... just not necessary.  :rolleyes:

I'm the kind of idiot who would keep them, the empty hole would bug me.

3 minutes ago, That986 said:

I'm the kind of idiot who would keep them, the empty hole would bug me.

^_^  You wouldn't believe how many cardboard boxes I have in the loft (complete with plastic bags, wire twists, and polystyrene packing) - for electrical equipment that expired long ago and has been thrown out. :blush2: 

These are similar to what are in the ends of the tubes, so it wouldn't break the bank.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-Plastic-Black-Blanking-End-Cap-Caps-Tube-Pipe-Inserts-Plug-Bung-5mm-50mm-/142176790325?var=&hash=item211a65a735:m:mfapXUsBx5k02pRD-vtYDWw

2 minutes ago, Araf said:

^_^  You wouldn't believe how many cardboard boxes I have in the loft (complete with plastic bags, wire twists, and polystyrene packing) - for electrical equipment that expired long ago and has been thrown out. :blush2: 

These are similar to what are in the ends of the tubes, so it wouldn't break the bank.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-Plastic-Black-Blanking-End-Cap-Caps-Tube-Pipe-Inserts-Plug-Bung-5mm-50mm-/142176790325?var=&hash=item211a65a735:m:mfapXUsBx5k02pRD-vtYDWw

I don't hoard as such but if i know that the part has a purpose i'll keep hold of it. I have the start of a boxster pile already.

Thanks for all the input lads, very helpful.

I don't really need the money if I'm honest more the room as I'm setting up my own plumbing business and the hardtop is in the store I would be using,

Hadnt seen one as low as £250 and for that money it can sit there forever lol,

Will probably try it up for sale and see if it goes

2 minutes ago, big mike said:

Thanks for all the input lads, very helpful.

I don't really need the money if I'm honest more the room as I'm setting up my own plumbing business and the hardtop is in the store I would be using,

Hadnt seen one as low as £250 and for that money it can sit there forever lol,

Will probably try it up for sale and see if it goes

See if you can find out what a courier would charge and if you're capable of sending it anywhere. Would get a lot more interest that way.

1 hour ago, That986 said:

See if you can find out what a courier would charge and if you're capable of sending it anywhere. Would get a lot more interest that way.

Would probably be best and safest strapped on a large pallet with excessive side protection and padding within. Probably cost about £50 + insurance but worth it for somebody on the south cost!

In the US, the hardtops are quite desirable and go for much more than anyone here is citing.  Hardtops are required at many racetracks lest stray parts from some mishap in front come back and catch the driver's head.

Still all markets are local.

I had my spinlocks fitted anticipating a hardtop and never bought one. They sat back there without plugs and sold with the car when I sold it.  Just list it as an added bonus modification

7 hours ago, Loz987 said:

I bought mine for £250 and a collected it in Edinburgh. I didn't mind the drive from Leeds for a good priced accessory. I've seen two at the same price since but realize I have no use for one really, unless I put it on Sunday night and took it off on Saturday Morning. to me, POINTLESS!

£250 for a 987 hardtop!?! They're like rocking horse poo!! Absolute bargain, you robbed it! :)

19 minutes ago, Boxstercol said:

£250 for a 987 hardtop!?! They're like rocking horse poo!! Absolute bargain, you robbed it! :)

Loz has a 986.

8 hours ago, Araf said:

Glad its not just me!  Mrs RCS has said there will be decluttering this year - if she gets involved it will be wholesale carnage :o

On the subject of the plugs, they were missing on our latest 986, so got a pair from the OPC - retail was £1.17 each +VAT part number is 986.561.655.00

Archived