A Lesson Learned

Masnamerif

Bought my Box in January this year coz I have got precious about my 993.

I had picked up a R170 Merc 320SLK last April because I bottled the Boxster thanks to the interweb.  10 disastrous months later with the SLK and it had to go.  Could not sell it private as I knew all the problems and my conscience would have made me itemise them to a private buyer, so looked around the ones for sale at a dealers.  Chopped the SLK in for a tidy little basic spec Boxster (to minimise the issues I had experienced with the SLK) so far BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!!!

Completely different to the 993 but there are some familiarities/similarities.

Completely kicking myself now for wasting 10 months. :mad:

Welcome to the 993 & boxster club ;-)

I ran an AMG SLK back in the day, loved it at the time but had a lot of warranty issues. It was just an unlucky car as I ended up getting side swiped on a dual carriageway and pushed into the central reservation, was never the same after, I really wanted them to write it off but was it was only 12 months old. I chopped it a few months later.

58 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

Welcome to the 993 & boxster club ;-)

I ran an AMG SLK back in the day, loved it at the time but had a lot of warranty issues. It was just an unlucky car as I ended up getting side swiped on a dual carriageway and pushed into the central reservation, was never the same after, I really wanted them to write it off but was it was only 12 months old. I chopped it a few months later.

Hi Jontt,

I know you from the 911 forum :thumbsup_still:

The original late 90's R170 SLK was a great looking and hugely popular car.   When I bought mine,  a 230SLK Kompressor, there was an 18 month waiting list for a new car, so I bought a demonstrator for full list price, over £30k at the time.   Unfortunately its launch coincided with Mercedes-Benz's disastrous dip in quality, caused by cynical de-engineering in order to increase the company's profits.  It was the most unreliable car I have ever had the misfortune to own: endless electrical problems and premature failures, from steering ball joints and crankshaft sensors to the main lighting switch and column stalks, all expensive to replace when the car was still low mileage but (just) out of warranty.  

At least I got rid of my SLK before it started to rust: late 90's Mercedes-Benzs were very poorly rust-proofed and I remember seeing many early SLK (and E-class) models with frilly wheelarches at less than ten years old.  Inexcusable, and it did the company's reputation a huge amount of damage,  from which it took over a decade to recover. 

13 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

The original late 90's R170 SLK was a great looking and hugely popular car.   When I bought mine,  a 230SLK Kompressor, there was an 18 month waiting list for a new car, so I bought a demonstrator for full list price, over £30k at the time.   Unfortunately its launch coincided with Mercedes-Benz's disastrous dip in quality, caused by cynical de-engineering in order to increase the company's profits.  It was the most unreliable car I have ever had the misfortune to own: endless electrical problems and premature failures, from steering ball joints and crankshaft sensors to the main lighting switch and column stalks, all expensive to replace when the car was still low mileage but (just) out of warranty.  

At least I got rid of my SLK before it started to rust: late 90's Mercedes-Benzs were very poorly rust-proofed and I remember seeing many early SLK (and E-class) models with frilly wheelarches at less than ten years old.  Inexcusable, and it did the company's reputation a huge amount of damage,  from which it took over a decade to recover. 

Hi Daniel,

Yep, all of the above even though my car was a 2004 model.  Has put me off Mercedes for ever!

I just sold my 2001 c class coupe, basic model engine wise but great spec inside, I have bought a 3 series touring.

The merc had the usual rust problems for that vintage and I had front suspension work done on both sides but by and large it was a good car with no major failures and a really comfy interior. The 3 series is undoubtedly a better car in every respect but somehow I don't ( yet maybe?) like it as much as the merc, also despite a massive variety of possible seating positions I cannot get comfortable and get serious backache on long journeys.

Anyway I totally agree with both previous posts but it hasn't put me off, two good friends have c class estates and both quite like them, chew through front tires though!

Our 2008 SLK280 was faultless and the bodywork still immaculate when we sold it last year. Its just a shame that the drive was so soft and un-sporting and the auto box was sluggish and slurred its way through the changes. The trick roof was its party piece and Mrs Radio loved it but decided that the time had come for a more sensible form of transport.

10 minutes ago, topradio said:

Our 2008 SLK280 was faultless and the bodywork still immaculate when we sold it last year. Its just a shame that the drive was so soft and un-sporting and the auto box was sluggish and slurred its way through the changes. The trick roof was its party piece and Mrs Radio loved it but decided that the time had come for a more sensible form of transport.

Yes, Mercedes-Benz had sorted out their quality problems by the mid-noughties and the R171 was much better built and more reliable.  However, like it's predecessor, it was more of a cruiser than a sports car and no way a competitor to the Boxster in that regard.  

Looks are, of course,  entirely subjective but, IMHO, the original SLK was the purest and prettiest of the line, whereas the current  SLK (now facelifted as the SLC) is an awkward mess, and still not a great driver's car.

20 hours ago, topradio said:

We had the R172 - the autobox was terrible and always seemed to be hunting for gears. The speed sensor went which was fortunately 'only' £660 from an indy. Otherwise it was a car my missus loved - that had to be chopped in due to an impending inlet manifold issue. 

i don't think they did sort the rust issues we see plenty of newer slk and c class in for rust problems all 4 corners seem to be affected.  slk have rubbish load space with the roof down too

My 2005 C55 was ok for rust. I can see why they could rust though as the sound deadening in the wheel arches was of a fabric like material and quite thick so I presume would hold water ... 

• 3 weeks later...

The old R-129 has much less electronics (to go wrong) and a sweet, reliable engine. I would like a good one if it could be had for the price of my beat up Boxster. A friend bought one for less than 2 grand with a horrific state of the paint. The hood looked dull, as if it had been washed with acid. We need to look at the owners, not just the cars. :wacko:

My first 986 with 2.7 liter engine has terrible paint issues:

Porsche.JPG

Porsche 2.7.JPG

Porsche2.JPG

Archived