I've only gone and done it

tcornet

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

....apparently these valves are non serviceable and cant be replaced.....

IIRC there was a post a couple of months ago, where someone found the valves on their own on the 997 PET so ordered them and they worked. :) 

43 minutes ago, Araf said:

IIRC there was a post a couple of months ago, where someone found the valves on their own on the 997 PET so ordered them and they worked. :) 

From the post I read it wa's the butterfly valves that was stuck shut

5 hours ago, Greenman said:

I've spoken to the guy and he's sent me a video of the exhaust being tested by Leeds OPC, the valves are definitely working (or were when they tested it). 

Are you sure that's what the vacuum tubes are for? I always assumed they were to detect accelerator off overrun and hence allow for more pops and crackles. Surely just turning off/on could be done electronically on ignition start without this complication?

From what I understand the butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe is always open 

The vacuum is created when the engine is running so closing the valve when in normal mode .

The option of the switch in the car is to sports mode the pressure drops opening the valve again so the shortest path is through the  open valve bypassing some of the baffles creating the sound the method of opening and closing of the valve is mechanical so not quick enough to match the throttle response, you would need an electrical servo for this.

As the pressure drops with engine speeds this varies the valve opening hence the difference in sound as the valve is slow to close this causes the pops with throttle lift

If it's was either on or off with ignition then you would have the option of normal or sports 

Which in effect what you do if you just fit the exhausts with no vacuum tubes

17 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I have found some fitting instructions, i can see why it take 6hrs:o

http://cf-design911-3.datadial.info/uploads/pdfs/Instructions_98104420004.pdf

Thanks for that.

I pick up my s/h PSE tomorrow, but i have just realised that the console switch he has is for a Cayman and the Boxster one is different.   I think I may start with the cheapskate option 4 for installation which is:

- Install the pipes but do not install the switch/electronics/vacuum tubes etc.   I should be able to get this done locally for £100 or so.  This then gives me an always on PSE without the extra pops and crackles that go with the ECU update.  I can then see what i think and maybe have the full install done at a latter date if I'm not happy.   There are a few people on planet9 that seem to have done this and actually prefer this installation as you get the exhaust raspiness/noise but don't get the 'obnoxious' farts/pops and bangs;)

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

Thanks for that.

I pick up my s/h PSE tomorrow, but i have just realised that the console switch he has is for a Cayman and the Boxster one is different.   I think I may start with the cheapskate option 4 for installation which is:

- Install the pipes but do not install the switch/electronics/vacuum tubes etc.   I should be able to get this done locally for £100 or so.  This then gives me an always on PSE without the extra pops and crackles that go with the ECU update.  I can then see what i think and maybe have the full install done at a latter date if I'm not happy.   There are a few people on planet9 that seem to have done this and actually prefer this installation as you get the exhaust raspiness/noise but don't get the 'obnoxious' farts/pops and bangs;)

Sure np ,the "how things work" i always try to get an understanding and a solution. Yes i had read that as well so permanent pse nice  B)

I did see at the end Porsche say 8 hrs for the work!!!!

53 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Sure np ,the "how things work" i always try to get an understanding and a solution. Yes i had read that as well so permanent pse nice  B)

I did see at the end Porsche say 8 hrs for the work!!!!

I actually got a quote from OPC for a full install (including providing the parts.) The labour element was £480+vat so that's not 8 hrs.  I bet they would quote more if I asked them to configure my system:vmad:

5 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I actually got a quote from OPC for a full install (including providing the parts.) The labour element was £480+vat so that's not 8 hrs.  I bet they would quote more if I asked them to configure my system:vmad:

That would about 4 hrs ?

2 hours ago, Greenman said:

I can then see what i think and maybe have the full install done at a latter date if I'm not happy.   There are a few people on planet9 that seem to have done this and actually prefer this installation as you get the exhaust raspiness/noise but don't get the 'obnoxious' farts/pops and bangs;)

They're the best bits :thumbsup_anim:

16 minutes ago, topradio said:

They're the best bits :thumbsup_anim:

They can sound good, but just somewhat contrived at times IMO.  Anyway I'm hoping I like the cheapskate install, but should have the option of a full install if I feel it's worth an extra £750 or so.

Thanks for that.

What's the difference between Cayman and boxster ones out of interest ??? Only asking as I'm constantly umming and Arring about getting a PSE fitted and constantly scouring eBay for a cheap local one ( unicorn )

2 hours ago, Rufus said:

What's the difference between Cayman and boxster ones out of interest ??? Only asking as I'm constantly umming and Arring about getting a PSE fitted and constantly scouring eBay for a cheap local one ( unicorn )

The exhausts are the same, it's only the switch that's different,  see if you can guess what's on the Boxster switch that the Cayman might not have;)

26 minutes ago, Greenman said:

The exhausts are the same, it's only the switch that's different,  see if you can guess what's on the Boxster switch that the Cayman might not have;)

Haha

cannot believe I missed that.  

Schoolboy error 

cheers dude

On 13/03/2017 at 11:20 PM, MIkeyv60 said:

I have found some fitting instructions, i can see why it take 6hrs:o

http://cf-design911-3.datadial.info/uploads/pdfs/Instructions_98104420004.pdf

Thanks again for this. I picked my exhaust up today and used the parts list in here to see if everything is included. I'm delighted that every clip/bolt/wire/tube/bracket/seal and clamp is included so if I do decide to go for a full install at least I have all the bits:)

27 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Thanks again for this. I picked my exhaust up today and used the parts list in here to see if everything is included. I'm delighted that every clip/bolt/wire/tube/bracket/seal and clamp is included so if I do decide to go for a full install at least I have all the bits:)

np :rolleyes:

Enjoy, you'll love it 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived