Alloy Wheel Question

Paul O

Hi all,

im considering a 987 as a summer time car, but question about alloys please. Several of the cars that would otherwise be of interest have had their wheels painted in black, which is absolutely not for me.

Looking at alloy refurb websites, most talk about powder coating. Can anyone confirm is this the finish of original Porsche wheels? I'm not sure. 

The whole black wheel thing is really off putting. Between that, overpriced cars and decent priced ones been at the other end of the country, i'm struggling a bit!

cheers!

Paul

Most Porsche wheels tend to get refurbed at an early age as they are prone to corrosion. Powder coat prevents it from happening again, as long as the powder coat isn't damaged by bad tyre fitting or kerbing the wheels.

Shouldn't be a deal breaker if the rest of the car checks out as a refurb isn't big money. 

The main finishes are powder coated,  painted and diamond cut.   Powder coated is the most durable and popular at refurb time.  Typically pay £60-90 per wheel for 18 or 19s.  You can lay less or more depending on what quality you're looking for. 

On 2/26/2017 at 7:33 PM, Paul O said:

Hi all,

im considering a 987 as a summer time car, but question about alloys please. Several of the cars that would otherwise be of interest have had their wheels painted in black, which is absolutely not for me.

Looking at alloy refurb websites, most talk about powder coating. Can anyone confirm is this the finish of original Porsche wheels? I'm not sure. 

The whole black wheel thing is really off putting. Between that, overpriced cars and decent priced ones been at the other end of the country, i'm struggling a bit!

cheers!

Paul

Frankly I wouldn't let it put you off.  There's shed-loads of wheels on eBay and many are the same price/cheaper than a refurb - and in good nick.

Thanks all. Want to make sure that I did go for a black wheel job that they could be brought back to life for decent money, over what it would cost to pay more for a car already with the right wheels. 

The wheels I like are the 987.1 18" 'S' alloys. Not a lot of them about on eBay and when factoring in new tyres In top, it soon adds up. 

Ill keep looking, a couple of local ones have since sold. 

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I've not found powder coating to be as durable as some say compared to painted wheels.

Anything will come off against a kerb. ;)

I know what you mean.  If powder coating isn't prepared properly then you get big chips coming off when a stone hits.  Paint is more likely to get punctured and notice less.

Just now, Araf said:

Anything will come off against a kerb. ;)

I know what you mean.  If powder coating isn't prepared properly then you get big chips coming off when a stone hits.  Paint is more likely to get punctured and notice less.

I've had Lepsons do a set for me, they made a cracking job and they are very highly regarded.

As an example though, when I was changing over my wheels one winter I dropped a bolt on removal from the hub and it chipped the powder coating. Being a clumsy bastard I did the same with the winter wheels (painted) and it didn't leave any mark whatsoever, let alone a chip.

If that was Lepson's in Gillingham, I'd have a word with them.  It shouldn't chip that easily if it is properly keyed.

Powder coated is the standard finish for your Porsche alloys. Painted alloys tend to be either for cosmetic repair or a cheap colour change.

I painted and repair alloys for most of my local dealerships and it's a great solution to repair wheels and improve the cosmetic appearance of car alloys.

In your case as you need a colour change, you need a dip/strip and powder coat.

Prices vary as does quality, try and use a reputable  place and maybe some one on here could recommend a local place to you?

Powdercoat should be strong and durable except when you hit kerbs ?

Thanks all, these are the wheels I like, so just to confirm these are powder coated from factory yeah?

maxresdefault.jpg

and a refurb to silver like in the pic would mean I could buy new centre caps from Porsche and they would match?

ta!

Yes they are powder coated and if you have them done in oem silver the new caps should match but they are never an exact match from the factory.

You could buy your centre caps first and take them to the powder coaters to colour match??

Archived