718 vs 981gts

718as

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

I chose the gts over the 718 even though I wanted to spend more.

The GTS has held its value really well , well more than well really as the price you paid for your car isnt far off what it cost new 2 years ago.

One thing i have found with GTS's is people dont keep them for long. The couple i looked at had 2 or 3 owners in 2 years, In the case of Jontt's GTS he is the 4th owner? To me that seems a lot for a car that's just over 2 1/2 years old? Are they that focused they are difficult to live with for a daily car?

3 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

One thing i have found with GTS's is people dont keep them for long. The couple i looked at had 2 or 3 owners in 2 years, In the case of Jontt's GTS he is the 4th owner? To me that seems a lot for a car that's just over 2 1/2 years old? Are they that focused they are difficult to live with for a daily car?

I would not say they are any more focused than any other Boxster and no more difficult to live with as a daily car. After all it is just a higher spec "S" so why would it be?

Perhaps people that buy them, and Spyders, tend to have the income / assets to change cars regularly or on a whim?

I hasten to add that I don't include myself in that category, it took me all my working life to aspire to mine and I won't be looking to change anytime soon, unless a change of health / personal circumstances dictate.

I am currently battling with whether to buy a 6 pot GTS or wait for the 718 version. I will have a 718 on loan for a week next month, should help me decide. The 6 pots are certainly expensive at the moment ! For the same price you can get a loaded 718 S.

27 minutes ago, GTB981 said:

I am currently battling with whether to buy a 6 pot GTS or wait for the 718 version. I will have a 718 on loan for a week next month, should help me decide. The 6 pots are certainly expensive at the moment ! For the same price you can get a loaded 718 S.

Have you driven a GTS? If not then you need to test drive one as well as the 718 to compare the two, as they are very different drives.

If you covet the 6 pot engine, then there is only one choice!

However, If you are not fussed re the engine configuration, sound or power delivery, then it's a closer contest that the more modern car would probably win.

You pays your money and......

Let us know what you think of the 718 and what you decide to buy!

Maybe the GTS cars are holding their value for good reason.

I had a 718 S for the day a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely loved the instant power delivery and it was bloomin` quick. PDK worked well with all that power. Even though it was a wet day I had some serious fun. However, this last weekend I have managed to do some topless driving in the 981 with PSE on and the sound is oh so sweet, it has character. Portsmouth OPC have a very nice yellow GTS and there is a GT Silver one at Uckfield so I may organise a test drive. 

19 hours ago, Tigerstew said:

Honestly if both were the same price....which would you buy? 981 gts or 718s?

GTS every time......I had the choice of the two, and didn't even look at the 718 after hearing it start up.....

I bought a GTS and when it was at OPC I was given a 718 S for 2 weeks, I drove it twice in that time. It just doesn't make me tick.

15 minutes ago, GTB981 said:

Is a 981 GTS albeit a year newer than my 981 really worth an additional £30k ? that`s the current approximate cost to change......

That's the issue I am having with a GT4 right now! I have emailed PEC to see if i can drive one there as the wife has half a day booked. 

Do you have an S? I'd say an S with PASM or X73, Sports Chrono, PSE, will not be too dissimilar. For me it was the overall all appeal of the GTS, I started looking at an S, the exterior with the right wheels and suspension looked good, but when I sat in a GTS with the GTS interior pack, carbon etc, compared to an S, i decided the GTS gave that special feel and it ticked all the boxes and that was that really. 

If you haven't go drive one, see if it makes you feel any different, main thing is does it make you smile anymore than your S...........if it does...............

DSC_0902.jpg

That cost too change is so ott!

The price of gts has been pushed by opc because they can and are selling then because the are just so rare and people will pay because they want one

I have access to glass,'s guide online and ifind I put a gts into from say autotrader it's around £12k less than forecourt prices.that's some markup 

As said then best thing to do is drive the 2 and make your own desision based on your own experience 

That said if sound is your thing then the 718 won't be for you.Unless you like a turbo soundtrack then maybe.

Everything else on it is just a bit more up to date 

16 minutes ago, GTB981 said:

Mine is not an S just a 981 but a good spec. GT Silver, red roof, leather, 14 way seats, PDLS, F & R sensors, PDK, sat nav, Bose, tecno sport wheels, sports exhaust etc etc

The differences will be bigger between a none S and GTS then, mainly the 2.7 vs the 3.4, I would go drive a S then a GTS then yours again.......

Also think its quite key to define what options you want....

2 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

That cost too change is so ott!

The price of gts has been pushed by opc because they can and are selling then because the are just so rare and people will pay because they want one

I have access to glass,'s guide online and ifind I put a gts into from say autotrader it's around £12k less than forecourt prices.that's some markup 

As said then best thing to do is drive the 2 and make your own desision based on your own experience 

That said if sound is your thing then the 718 won't be for you.Unless you like a turbo soundtrack then maybe.

Everything else on it is just a bit more modern 

Its not dealer mark up, a friend sold his privately very close to the OPC price.

55 minutes ago, GTB981 said:

Is a 981 GTS albeit a year newer than my 981 really worth an additional £30k ? that`s the current approximate cost to change......

Funnily enough I went from a high spec 2013 GT Silver 2.7 Boxster 981 with PSE to a 2014 white GTS and it is a huge difference.

Likewise, it was only a year newer yet it cost me an additional £27k almost two years ago, so £30k would be about right.

Was it worth it? Yes and No...it is a more special car, as well as faster and louder - of that there is no doubt. I sometimes question if it is £27k better though, and the average member of the public would not know the difference either!

One good thing is that the GTS values seem to be holding up well, so I could probably sell mine for around £55k - virtually what I paid for it in 2015.

Maybe we should swop cars, you give me £30k and see what you think???

46 minutes ago, jayk said:

Im always thinking of changing, doesn't matter what car I have, bloody disease!! haha.

But why sell 

This is what I don't really understand is why the gts is so good and yet they change hands very quickly?

Is it because the price to sell is good they strike whilst the iron is hot?

3 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

But why sell 

This is what I don't really understand is why the gts is so good and yet they change hands very quickly?

Is it because the price to sell is good they strike whilst the iron is hot?

I'm always like this so maybe an exception. The GTS does everything amazingly well, and for 60K I cannot find another car that does everything this does. But as a car nut I am always looking at other cars........430 / Gallardo / GT4 those are on my radar. But whether I will move I don't know, my head keeps saying the GTS is all the car you need and a bargain sports car..........It might stay for another year.

3 hours ago, GTB981 said:

I had a 718 S for the day a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely loved the instant power delivery and it was bloomin` quick. PDK worked well with all that power. Even though it was a wet day I had some serious fun. However, this last weekend I have managed to do some topless driving in the 981 with PSE on and the sound is oh so sweet, it has character. Portsmouth OPC have a very nice yellow GTS and there is a GT Silver one at Uckfield so I may organise a test drive. 

Yellow is a brave colour 

There has been yellow one for sale on auto trader at Proctor cars for a couple of months

They increased  the price though

2 minutes ago, jayk said:

I'm always like this so maybe an exception. The GTS does everything amazingly well, and for 60K I cannot find another car that does everything this does. But as a car nut I am always looking at other cars........430 / Gallardo / GT4 those are on my radar. But whether I will move I don't know, my head keeps saying the GTS is all the car you need and a bargain sports car..........It might stay for another year.

Maybe but if you look to see how many owners they have had does always seems to be 2 to 3 owners in a couple of years? 

How many owners has yours had?

£30k to swap to a car just one year newer than the one I have and not current model is too much just based on sound of it. I love the look of my 2.7 with red roof and Sport Techno wheels and tinted lights in GT silver.

My last car was a GT86 which I had Abbey Motorsport fit a Sprintex supercharger to along with Hayward & Scott exhaust. Flat 4 Subaru engine with FI and unresonated centre pipe it sounded great especially on map 2 ehich you could change on the fly. Given the bad press the 718 is getting over the noise it makes surely Porsche will make the GTS sound better ? I know that if the truth be known I need to wait to see the full spec of the new GTS.........then I can get the exact spec I want.......albeit with 2 pots missing.

36 minutes ago, GTB981 said:

Given the bad press the 718 is getting over the noise it makes surely Porsche will make the GTS sound better ? I know that if the truth be known I need to wait to see the full spec of the new GTS.........then I can get the exact spec I want.......albeit with 2 pots missing.

I dont think the 718 sounds bad as such. It's just that the 918 sounds sooo good and is so charismatic 

Archived