718 vs 981gts

718as

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ians said:

Whats he say?

For God's sake man. He said "포르쉐 718 박스터 시승기(feat.박스터 GTS)...박스터를 꺾을 차는 새 박스터 뿐 " .  Are you deaf?

Whatever your opinion on the engine, there is no doubt that the 718 is considerably faster than the 981.

The non S 718 PDK I borrowed was as fast as my 981 S Manual. Handling wise it was far superior. Steering with quicker rack and smaller wheel a big improvement and the handling was a lot tighter. Front end grip was very much improved.

The 718 S would be SIGNIFICANTLY faster than a 981 S or GTS. I'm not going to talk fun factor, will just leave it there for once :D

3 hours ago, Leonard said:

Whatever your opinion on the engine, there is no doubt that the 718 is considerably faster than the 981.

The non S 718 PDK I borrowed was as fast as my 981 S Manual. Handling wise it was far superior. Steering with quicker rack and smaller wheel a big improvement and the handling was a lot tighter. Front end grip was very much improved.

The 718 S would be SIGNIFICANTLY faster than a 981 S or GTS. I'm not going to talk fun factor, will just leave it there for once :D

I'm not sure this is true.  The base 718 seems faster as the torque is available earlier, but it's not really, the 981s has more power and better performance figures than the base 718, you just have to work it harder.  I'm sure the 718S is faster though.

As for handling, well the quicker steering makes some difference, but as I mentioned before I suspect the N1, vs N0 Pirellies is responsible for most of the different front end feel. Those who have tried the N1 on 981 report a similar improvement.

Sure I heard on a review of the 781s that it beat the 981gt4 by upwards of 10+ seconds around the Nurburgring. Think that's my next car of choice at my next trip to Silverstone.

4 hours ago, Greenman said:

I'm not sure this is true.  The base 718 seems faster as the torque is available earlier, but it's not really, the 981s has more power and better performance figures than the base 718, you just have to work it harder.  I'm sure the 718S is faster though.

As for handling, well the quicker steering makes some difference, but as I mentioned before I suspect the N1, vs N0 Pirellies is responsible for most of the different front end feel. Those who have tried the N1 on 981 report a similar improvement.

PDK vs Manual made the difference up in performance against mine. 

I don't think handling is just down to tyres (I have just put two new tyres on front of mine and it's better but..) 718 has a completely revised rear subframe and thicker anti roll bars. Plus suspension has neen tweaked. Along with the revised steering rack it really made/makes for a planted feeling car. 

They are such different cars when you drive them back to back it's really strange, you could have one of each and drive them on different days and they will feel like completely different experiences

the 981 you need to work and rev it up to 6 thousand when driving, the 718 is more of a turbo diesel drive where you don't really rev them hard and rely on the low down torque

both are great but the experience is vastly different, ive got a 718 Cayman on order but the more I drive my 981 boxster the more I wish I could run both, they are massively different cars.

11 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

For God's sake man. He said "포르쉐 718 박스터 시승기(feat.박스터 GTS)...박스터를 꺾을 차는 새 박스터 뿐 " .  Are you deaf?

almost makes sense, translated:

Porsche 718 Baxter City Seunggi (feat Baxter GTS)

wha you wannn? a Baxter!

6 minutes ago, Rufus said:

both are great but the experience is vastly different, ive got a 718 Cayman on order but the more I drive my 981 boxster the more I wish I could run both, they are massively different cars.

2 in one would work for me. The 718 chassis with the Flat 6 Engine and a short ratio gear box would be a complete weapon :)

Money no object tho I think you are right. I would happily have a 718 Cayman I think the turbo 4 works better in the coupe. I salute you on ur choice. If you could have the 981 Boxster as well then all boxes ticked!

26 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

almost makes sense, translated:

Porsche 718 Baxter City Seunggi (feat Baxter GTS)

wha you wannn? a Baxter!

I had a dog called Baxter......  

Tasted good with rice noodles. ^_^ 

you won flied wice ? sore finger on chip?

• 2 weeks later...

When i had a 718 S i ran it from 55 to 120, I will do the same with GTS and over lay the video's out of interest.

I have some videos of the GTS but only 40 to 82, but comparing 55 to 82 there pretty much the same. You can clearly tell the 718 S starts pulling hard from 4000rpm and shifting before 7000rpm, where as the GTS's powerband is 6000rpm to 7800rpm.

1 hour ago, jayk said:

When i had a 718 S i ran it from 55 to 120, I will do the same with GTS and over lay the video's out of interest.

I have some videos of the GTS but only 40 to 82, but comparing 55 to 82 there pretty much the same. You can clearly tell the 718 S starts pulling hard from 4000rpm and shifting before 7000rpm, where as the GTS's powerband is 6000rpm to 7800rpm.

Honestly if both were the same price....which would you buy? 981 gts or 718s?

Archived