718 vs 981gts

718as

If you look on "how many cars left" this will show only around 400 gts's were sold in the UK. I  think you may get 1 or 2  but i doubt if GTS's will be flooding the market at the end of the pcp's.

On a GTS they are so in demand i do think its a case of snooze you lose, if you keep waiting you will miss the boat, as the last thing you want is happen to hang onto their GTS's because its the last of the Boxster F6?

Who are you dealing with at Portsmouth?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed yes, but if I buy one now and then the 718 GTS is a real show stopper I`ll kick my own butt as the sound is not a 100% show stopper. I have made that mistake before due to impulse buying and lack of patience. "Should have waited". I dealt with James Bunce Powley & Chris Dawson @ Portsmouth over my recent 718S test drive but have not registered interest in the yellow 981 directly. They know I`m up for seriously looking at the 718 GTS when it is released and that I was also considering a Cayman GTS at a local independent. That has now sold and after recent good weather I could not give up the rag top so Cayman is out.

27 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

If you look on "how many cars left" this will show only around 400 gts's were sold in the UK. I  think you may get 1 or 2  but i doubt if GTS's will be flooding the market at the end of the pcp's.

On a GTS they are so in demand i do think its a case of snooze you lose, if you keep waiting you will miss the boat, as the last thing you want is happen to hang onto their GTS's because its the last of the Boxster F6?

Who are you dealing with at Portsmouth?

Just had a look on the website you mention, interesting to see that they are as rare as Spyders......

1 hour ago, GTB981 said:

Agreed yes, but if I buy one now and then the 718 GTS is a real show stopper I`ll kick my own butt as the sound is not a 100% show stopper. I have made that mistake before due to impulse buying and lack of patience. "Should have waited". I dealt with James Bunce Powley & Chris Dawson @ Portsmouth over my recent 718S test drive but have not registered interest in the yellow 981 directly. They know I`m up for seriously looking at the 718 GTS when it is released and that I was also considering a Cayman GTS at a local independent. That has now sold and after recent good weather I could not give up the rag top so Cayman is out.

Ooh desisions 

Yes you could right the gts could be a 400 bhp rocket but will be a f4t so the sound will never match the 981 gts. The power will be available immediately not higher up the rev range and will come will free sticky tape to stop your ears slipping around the back if your head under acceration :D

3 hours ago, GTB981 said:

I think you could guess 99% of what any 718 GTS will be.  It won't have 400 bhp because that would take it ahead of base 911, it will be 370 bhp, with usual GTS interior and exterior tweaks and will include chrono, PSE and possibly PASM.

19 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I think you could guess 99% of what any 718 GTS will be.  It won't have 400 bhp because that would take it ahead of base 911, it will be 370 bhp, with usual GTS interior and exterior tweaks and will include chrono, PSE and possibly PASM.

Yep agreed  with the usual gts interior. 400 bhp was  a "could" but you never know as the 911 will have a new motor in 2019.

4 hours ago, GTB981 said:

Yes, I`m weird, but I ride a Vmax !

You really are weird then. ^_^ 

As for the colour, there's at least two people that like it as someone else spec'd it originally.

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

THIS /\

Id say 380bhp tops...

Try a fully loaded 718 S now and make your decision based on that. Having driven a loaded 718 S and having got a 'GTS Spec' 981S Id say go for the GTS now (especially if you like the yellow one)

However 718 is a great fast and tight handling car plus you get that new car feel ... So as Cilla used to say the "Choice is Yours" :)

2 hours ago, GTB981 said:

Have driven the fully loaded orange demo 718 S at Portsmouth and loved it. The new car feel is a big part of my decision process.......

Sounds like you have probably made your mind up already then ;) I'd see if u can find a dealer willing to take an early deposit on a 718 GTS or GT4 even....

4 hours ago, GTB981 said:

Have driven the fully loaded orange demo 718 S at Portsmouth and loved it. The new car feel is a big part of my decision process.......

Did you manage to drive the GTS at Portsmouth and compare the two? From what i have found out about the 718 GTS is it will be around £5k more than the s but you do get lots like pasm pse chrono included. They say around 375 bhp should be awesome, im having to be so careful in my meager S as its so quick from the off the mark and overtaking its great,  effortless with so much torque.

10 hours ago, Leonard said:

THIS /\

Id say 380bhp tops...

Try a fully loaded 718 S now and make your decision based on that. Having driven a loaded 718 S and having got a 'GTS Spec' 981S Id say go for the GTS now (especially if you like the yellow one)

However 718 is a great fast and tight handling car plus you get that new car feel ... So as Cilla used to say the "Choice is Yours" :)

365 to 375.....Porsche standards.

Hopefully the GT4 will be 6 pot, as mentioned by AP "do we look like 4 cylinder guys" lol.

Can't put a deposit on it though, until OPC gets there allocation, LOI can go in though. Mines in but if it's 4 pot not interested.

The day I drove the 718 S it rained all day. Still had some great fun through Harting, Petersfield and across the A272 to the A32. The boost button is mental with pdk and with so much torque the pdk works much better than in my 981. GTS for me not GT4. I am on the list at Portsmouth. I`ll be having a 718 for a week soon when mine goes back in. Should make my mind up further.

15 minutes ago, GTB981 said:

The day I drove the 718 S it rained all day. Still had some great fun through Harting, Petersfield and across the A272 to the A32. The boost button is mental with pdk and with so much torque the pdk works much better than in my 981. GTS for me not GT4. I am on the list at Portsmouth. I`ll be having a 718 for a week soon when mine goes back in. Should make my mind up further.

Excellent , i like the sound there is a waiting list for the GTS, so sounds like a few people are after one even after all the engine negativity?

So what does Porsche do? Well, it brings out a new model called the GTS, which is lower and gruntier and more sporty. Hmm. Does Porsche think the world is full of people saying, “Wow. There’s a new Cayman out that is 10mm closer to the ground for better cornering”? Because it isn’t.

Clearly based on the prices of said GTS models and discussions on here and elsewhere Porsche know the market better than Clarkson.  Though I do like his comments on how great the 'S' is.

Come on guys, lets be honest here, the GTS is an S with lots of optional stuff as standard which if you specified on an S would come to the same price. People desire the GTS because they have bought into the spiel about limited edition and supposed exclusivity and that's working to hold the price a little higher than the 'less desirable' model.

If this was such an amazing car the OPC'c wouldn't have any for sale, but they do. Also, in the same vein, why do a lot of them seem to have had owners that only kept them for a few months? This could imply that they didn't like the car but in reality as said earlier it's a reflection of the owners low boredom threshold and believing that the grass is slightly greener.

Don't get me wrong, the GTS is a great car, but apart from a bit of styling and marketing bumf its a well optioned S (which is an equally great car)

I believe that Porsche have done the calculation and said to themselves that they will artificially limit supply of the 718 and engineer long waiting lists (that may miraculously shorten once they have your order) in order to justify the price hike and probably the lack of discounts available. I should think that they have decided that they would actually like to make some money from their lowest selling car (its what I would do)

Archived