Additional standard features have pushed the price up

Mike Cad

Yes, they do seem to be after making more margin on the car these days. I suppose they have done their research and have concluded that they will still be able to sell as many as they can make at the inflated prices.

Good spot

i saw a Macan with what looked like halogen lights on the motorway the other day and was chuckling to myself

just checked and all the prices have gone up a few grand today across the range of cars Porsche do, I presume it's all sat nav related

5 minutes ago, Mike Cad said:

I'm sure the options prices have gone up too.

Just looking 

seats have gone up and xenon and Led lights , not sure about other specs, those are all I could remember the price of

I wonder if their research shows a drop in sales but that committed buyers will still pay the higher price. Strange strategy if so because Porsche are now a mass market manufacturer and have shift the numbers.

Perhaps they are trying to make the 718 like the Cayenne where you wait 12 months for your and car pay the ridiculous list price making Porsche a very large profit indeed.    

Just looked at the configurator and see the standard fittings now include almost all of the PCM/audio/phone items that were previously optional. Hence the price hike. Having said that, speccing a PDK 718 2.0 to as close a spec as possible to my PDK 981 2.7 produces a final cost of £56k compared to the £50k for mine in 2014. Quite a price rise and very effectively put paid to any day dreams I may have had?

4 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Just looked at the configurator and see the standard fittings now include almost all of the PCM/audio/phone items that were previously optional. Hence the price hike. Having said that, speccing a PDK 718 2.0 to as close a spec as possible to my PDK 981 2.7 produces a final cost of £56k compared to the £50k for mine in 2014. Quite a price rise and very effectively put paid to any day dreams I may have had?

That must be the very definition of a "first world problem". ?

Joking aside, the 981 2.7 PDK is a sublime car, which I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy.  Prices are holding firm too:  I paid  £38k for my 64 plate Approved Used 2.7 PDK with 5k miles and £9k of options last May.  The same car would cost not a great deal less now.

Just now, Daniel Joseph said:

Actually, just eyeballing Kevin's figures, an 11% like-for-like price increase over three years (and a new model introduction) is not outrageous. 

With inflation running a virtually zero it is. However perhaps they are anticipating the future and, as Jon points out above, the exchange rate will be giving them a spanking.

Time for Jaguar to dust off their Boxster size rival perhaps. 

Us existing owners who have no dreams to buy a new 718 should be pleased at the price hike, it can only help to keep the value of our cars high. However, notional value is of no use whatsoever as one day we will need to sell and buy and it will be swings and roundabouts unless we are looking at buying a Kia.

Like the housing market, rising prices are absolutely nothing to rejoice about unless you are considering downsizing and taking the equity. (Which many of my generation are relying on doing)

Yes, I would also say the exchange rate is a factor  - be interesting to know if the option prices have risen in Germany.

10 minutes ago, topradio said:

With inflation running a virtually zero it is. However perhaps they are anticipating the future and, as Jon points out above, the exchange rate will be giving them a spanking.

Time for Jaguar to dust off their Boxster size rival perhaps. 

Fair point about underlying inflation.  I grew up in the 1970's and sometimes forget the "new paradigm"!  I should instead have placed the emphasis on the change of model, which is often an excuse for a price hike!

Regarding Jaguar producing a proper Boxster rival (as opposed to the F-Type, which isn't) I don't believe the economic case for this would be compelling.  The Boxster is, I believe, Porsche's lowest seller and probably only survives because of a high degree of commonality under the skin with the 911 (ignoring the location of the engine, of course!).  JLR would find it hard to justify the investment in a bespoke mid-engined platform for a low volume sports car when they can sell SUVs by the shed load, with platform sharing between their two brands further improving economies of scale.

I'm not sure whether Porsche differentiates any more between Boxster and Cayman in terms of overall sales reports. Combined it doesn't look like a bad figure, significantly above the Panamera and not too far behind the 911.

Long may they continue. Given the exchange rate I had expected some price rises, more so that we're currently seeing. It certainly may not be the last increase but I'm hoping it will be. For someone who already specced sat nav and connect plus it isn't a massive change, for people like me it pushes the price significantly and I'm not willing to compromise on my original spec.

I haven't given up yet but as I still don't have a build slot after a 3 month wait, there is plenty of scope for more changes in price and Apr rates that might kill my dream.

Thinking further about the price increase of the Boxster 718 over the 981, didn't Porsche say that they were "repositioning" the Boxster and Cayman at the launch of the 718, with the Boxster now priced above the Cayman, rather than below, as it was with the 987 and 981 series?  There's now a near £2k differential on the RRP.

Archived