Will the next boxster get a different engine?

Tigerstew

Since its inception people have wanted to give the Boxster more power. For the last 10 years at least, it's been claimed Porsche don't as it would threaten the 911, as the chassis can easily take more.

Now with remaps you can get the power you've been waiting for :) 

The only reason I hate turbos is lag, and apparently that's been pretty much designed out.

The lead times will stop boxster sales more than the engine configuration. Most purchasers of a new boxster buy them for the looks and badge and they are not "driven" as a sports car IMHO so the engine or sound does not matter. To most owners the 718 will tick all of the boxes, it drives well and sounds good to them and it will be new, with a full warranty and finance package, worry free.

It is only enthusiasts who will argue over NA v Turbo. Neither can win as you either like a turbo power delivery, you don't or you don't care. If you don't your never going to buy one anyway.

Personally its pretty obvious which I decided on, I did turbo to death back in the day and two things have always been the same and never changed, noise and the way the power is delivered. A forced induction engine will never sound as good as a NA engine but that will be lost in time as every engine becomes turbo / hybrid and most people will never hear the difference. The power delivery no matter how good the FI setup will always have the potential to spoil the experience, its simple physics.

For me, as a hobby car, the sound is a massive thing, it is such an integral part of the enjoyment. Its why I own a NA 993 and not a turbo, its why I chose the GTS ultimately over any other boxster. I drive my hobby cars purely for the pleasure of driving and the 981 is more than powerful enough for that. Yes it won't win a sprint but it will provide me with a more enjoyable drive on my favourite roads without the frustration of off boost lulls and less predicatable power delivery. None of that will stop the 718 being a great car for 99.9% of owners, just not for me.

To answer the OP's question, I don't think the next boxster will get more cylinders if that is what was implied by the question. It will simply be faster / better as they always are but they will be able to do that from the 4 cylinder engine. Yes they will move to 6 cylinder at some point to keep the gravy train moving but pretty soon hybrid technology will take over and engines will get smaller, not larger ;-)

Meanwhile I'll be hooning around in two of the best sounding Porsches of all time ;-)

8 hours ago, Jonttt said:

The lead times will stop boxster sales more than the engine configuration. Most purchasers of a new boxster buy them for the looks and badge and they are not "driven" as a sports car IMHO so the engine or sound does not matter. To most owners the 718 will tick all of the boxes, it drives well and sounds good to them and it will be new, with a full warranty and finance package, worry free.

It is only enthusiasts who will argue over NA v Turbo. Neither can win as you either like a turbo power delivery, you don't or you don't care. If you don't your never going to buy one anyway.

Personally its pretty obvious which I decided on, I did turbo to death back in the day and two things have always been the same and never changed, noise and the way the power is delivered. A forced induction engine will never sound as good as a NA engine but that will be lost in time as every engine becomes turbo / hybrid and most people will never hear the difference. The power delivery no matter how good the FI setup will always have the potential to spoil the experience, its simple physics.

For me, as a hobby car, the sound is a massive thing, it is such an integral part of the enjoyment. Its why I own a NA 993 and not a turbo, its why I chose the GTS ultimately over any other boxster. I drive my hobby cars purely for the pleasure of driving and the 981 is more than powerful enough for that. Yes it won't win a sprint but it will provide me with a more enjoyable drive on my favourite roads without the frustration of off boost lulls and less predicatable power delivery. None of that will stop the 718 being a great car for 99.9% of owners, just not for me.

To answer the OP's question, I don't think the next boxster will get more cylinders if that is what was implied by the question. It will simply be faster / better as they always are but they will be able to do that from the 4 cylinder engine. Yes they will move to 6 cylinder at some point to keep the gravy train moving but pretty soon hybrid technology will take over and engines will get smaller, not larger ;-)

Meanwhile I'll be hooning around in two of the best sounding Porsches of all time ;-)

God this is going like Piston Heads.

Maybe, I was just trying to give a comprehensive answer to the question and some of the other points raised with my logic, flawed or not ie I don't think Porsche will change the engine from a flat 4 turbo in the next Boxster, nor do I think the engine is the material factor in sales to new buyers.

Lets be blunt, Porsche delayed having to implement forced induction across its range until it had really no choice for as long as possible. There is a reason why ..... but porsches sales demographic has changed considerably over recent years and I have no problem with what they have done, they needed to. It just means over the years when I get to drive a NA sports engine I will enjoy it all the more as it will always give a different driving experience to my daily drivers, which is the whole point to me. There are plenty of cars that will offer the driving characteristics of the new boxster to most drivers, that is what they want, the feeling of it being fast without ever actually needing to drive it in the higher limits of the cars ability dynamically. So many drivers these days have been brought up on turbo diesels, high torque engine that its what they feel comfortable with. The boxster flat 4 turbo is / will feel like a natural progression in power.

On 18 March 2017 at 9:46 AM, topradio said:

They have to be bought new first in order to fall into the hands of the tuners down the line. Most buying a brand new 60K car wouldn't dream of taking it to get tuned for even more power.

I agree that in a few years the Evo brigade will absolutely love its tuning potential.

I wasn't thinking aftermarket initially, but what Porsche could do with the motor...new GT4 RS with 400bhp, anti-lag and already mid-engines like the new RSR.

Didn't Porsche say that they couldn't physically fit a F6 engine into the 718 engine bay? It'll be interesting to see what the GTS has. FWIW, most manufacturers are heading down the turbo route - look at last night's Top Gear; GTi - turbo; Aston Martin - turbo etc etc...

No, they won't go back to six cylinders - the change was part of their strategy on average emissions across the range.

There is already a Cayman GT4 RS - it's called the Clubsport.

I don't think they'll go back to 6 either.  If I were a betting man, I'd say the current 4 cyclinder with return in the next model but with electric motors too in a completely new shell. Electric/hybrid is the way everyone is heading and I can't see Porsche missing out given their expertise with the 918.

Archived