Will the next boxster get a different engine?

Tigerstew

A lot of car reviewers are hating on the current flat 4 turbo charged engine in the 718. Im not sure if this has hurt sales compared to the 981. 

Will porsche change the next generation boxster and Cayman engine? Or keep the current flat 4 turbo?

I think you could well be correct about the engine layout stifling sales. Most love the styling and apart from the Fisher Price sport button the build quality is also liked.

Combined with the price hike over the 981, it could be that Porsche have shot themselves in the foot. Perhaps people perceive that a 40, 50 or 60K+ car should have an engine with more cylinders.

I actually have no personal opinion on whether Porsche have dropped the ball as I have never driven the 4 pot but it can't be helping sales with the amount of on-line criticism the car is getting.

In answer to your question, I think they will keep the current layout for their bottom of the range model to differentiate it from the 911.

People hate the 4 but if the 6 returned you can bet the 4 cylinder cars would be salted away as the best car to have for tuning potential. ^_^ 

I think Porsche will keep the 4.  From the lead time from order I would say they can flog as many cars as they can make - whatever the engine. :)

1 minute ago, Araf said:

People hate the 4 but if the 6 returned you can bet the 4 cylinder cars would be salted away as the best car to have for tuning potential. ^_^ 

I think Porsche will keep the 4.  From the lead time from order I would say they can flog as many cars as they can make - whatever the engine. :)

I think you're correct about that. They have definitely engineered a long lead time to justify the price (discount sir? we can sell every one that we are allocated).

When I bought the 981 it arrived at the OPC just over 2 months after I placed the order. I don't believe that world demand has increased since then.

Times move on and a year down the line people will be more accepting of the F4 engine. It also has massive more tuning potential which hasn't really been explored yet, so no, I don't think there will be a return to the F6 engine.

It's just the air cooled to water cooled saga all over again - and how many of those people moaning are actually in a position to splash 50-60k on one?...

I don't think Porsche are worried and then there's the scope for some really wild Boxster/Cayman's going forward due to the tuning potential.

They have to be bought new first in order to fall into the hands of the tuners down the line. Most buying a brand new 60K car wouldn't dream of taking it to get tuned for even more power.

I agree that in a few years the Evo brigade will absolutely love its tuning potential.

40 minutes ago, drumsterphil said:

It's just the air cooled to water cooled saga all over again - and how many of those people moaning are actually in a position to splash 50-60k on one?..

I think this is the key point, there's lots of chatter on forums and in the press about the change to the F4, but this seems to be very much an enthusiast echo chamber and even then there is plenty of acceptance of the F4. For the main market that are buying them new, F4 vs F6 isn't really an issue as long as there's plenty of useable power and the F4 is a definite advance on the F6 there. I love my 986, but I think I could equally love the 718, just in a different way.

Not everyone hates the engine I have absolutely no problem with it at all. It's power delivery is immense and all it seems to be is the sound. 

I drove the 981 's and gts for extended test drives and the 718 does everything better just in some eyes the car is dammed because of sound.

Makes no odds to me as the acceration is awesome.

They are selling and if there is an engineered waiting list it is working.I was offered  £5k to take my place and when I looked at the gts the dealer offered me 10% off the gts and my cars build slot.

The boxster is the lowest selling model now suv''s are porsches main thing really with special sports cars a's a sideline.

In 2002 they sold 50k a year last year over 300k sort of says where they are heading really

14 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Not everyone hates the engine I have absolutely no problem with it at all. It's power delivery is immense and all it seems to be is the sound. 

I drove the 981 's and gts for extended test drives and the 718 does everything better just in some eyes the car is dammed because of sound.

They are selling and if there is an engineered waiting list it is working.I was offered  £5k to take my place and when I looked at the gts the dealer offered me 10% off the gts and my cars build slot.

The boxster is the lowest selling model now suv''s are porsches main thing really with special sports cars a's a sideline.

In 2002 they sold 50k a year last year over 300k sort of says where they are heading really

The 718 looks beautiful in my opinion. Especially the rear. But with the boxster in particular with the roof down surely the sound of a naturally aspirated engine would sound a lot better than the turbo. With the Cayman I wouldn't think it makes a huge difference but definitely a boxster

Just now, Tigerstew said:

The 718 looks beautiful in my opinion. Especially the rear. But with the boxster in particular with the roof down surely the sound of a naturally aspirated engine would sound a lot better than a turbo. With the Cayman I wouldn't think it makes a huge difference but definitely a boxster

People  say that but the 2 cars I drove with the roof down I couldn't hear the engine unless under a bridge tunnel etc?

With roof up after an hour I had a headache with gts.

25 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

That's quite the inducement to give up your spot !!!

Glad to hear that you are absolutely loving your car @MIkeyv60 it is beautiful looking.

To the question, I doubt Porsche have made a mistake with the new engine.

As the F4 has two less cylinders are the OPCs service costs correspondingly less? I couldn't find the information for a 718 on Porsche's fixed price service menu.

1 hour ago, Boxob said:

As the F4 has two less cylinders are the OPCs service costs correspondingly less? I couldn't find the information for a 718 on Porsche's fixed price service menu.

Of course it's cheaper! Only 4 spark plugs to change :D

I think Porsche will stick with 4 pot for Boxster & Cayman which is a shame yes the 718 is slightly better all round  it's faster as well but not really about the small speed difference.

If you have never owned a 6 pot Porsche yes those people would buy one it's a great car but for me wrong engine which has been discussed to death we all know the reasons.

Insult as well prices have gone up and options also.

I will be sticking with my 981 for now i usually change every 3 or 4 years as its my everyday car not sure where to go after the 981 after 0wning the original 2.5 986 then the face lift 986 then a 987 now 981

Maybe a low miles 981 Spyder if prices ever come down from the highly inflated over priced from list new.

Who knows.

14 minutes ago, tracy said:

I think Porsche will stick with 4 pot for Boxster & Cayman which is a shame yes the 718 is slightly better all round  it's faster as well but not really about the small speed difference.

If you have never owned a 6 pot Porsche yes those people would buy one it's a great car but for me wrong engine which has been discussed to death we all know the reasons.

Insult as well prices have gone up and options also.

I will be sticking with my 981 for now i usually change every 3 or 4 years as its my everyday car not sure where to go after the 981 after 0wning the original 2.5 986 then the face lift 986 then a 987 now 981

Maybe a low miles 981 Spyder if prices ever come down from the highly inflated over priced from list new.

Who knows.

At least I have owned a 6 pot 987 so I genuinely can compare the 2 whilst under ownership .

I for one prefer the engine and the way it develops power. Had a 718 S for the day and loved it to bits. Such a better drive than my 981 from performance perspective. Sound isn`t important for me and I`m waiting on the 718 GTS to be released. Buying a 981 GTS to me is a step backward. 

Not likely.  The progression has been motor/trans change in very similar body (think 986 after 3 years in 2000), then motor bump (2003), then body change (987 in 2005) then major refresh with some visible body changes (981) then major motor changes (718).  They have tried to get maybe 5 years out of an engine.

10 hours ago, topradio said:

When I bought the 981 it arrived at the OPC just over 2 months after I placed the order. I don't believe that world demand has increased since then.

I wouldn't mind betting that there have been productions problems that we don't know about.  Porsche know that they will lose sales with such a long order book.

19 minutes ago, Araf said:

I wouldn't mind betting that there have been productions problems that we don't know about.  Porsche know that they will lose sales with such a long order book.

My dealer told me they have moved production of the new model from somewhere to somewhere else and that has increased the lead time from 4 to 10 months.  Forgive the lack of detail as it was a really boring conversation and to be honest I just thought he was lying and just switched off and passively nodded At him lol…… maybe not tho after seeing everyone's lead times for a new 718.

4 minutes ago, Rufus said:

...it was a really boring conversation and to be honest I just thought he was lying and just switched off and passively nodded At him lol...

That's a very useful skill, isn't it?  Being able to tune out, but still paying just enough attention to appear to be engaged.  Got me through many tedious cocktail parties in my City days...?

4 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

That's a very useful skill, isn't it?  Being able to tune out, but still paying just enough attention to appear to be engaged.  Got me through many tedious cocktail parties in my City days...?

And my last relationship / fiancée  lol

Archived