Insurance rising!

If you really want a laugh try insuring...

A modified 986S (admittedly fairly extensive) for SDP

With Business Use - all passenger car types apart from Commercial Travelling and Hire & Reward.

Plus an expected milage in excess of 12k/year.  

Then tell them it's parked on the street, in London.

That it'll spend some of its time on dedicated, but road legal, track tyres/wheels.

And that it'll be wandering round Europe for 3 or 4 weeks a year.

At which point you'll hear some pretty brutal premiums, if they bother to quote.

In the end I am OK with what it costs given the non-standard nature of the car and its use pattern - albeit I am not quite in the "Prime of life" just yet.

A-Plan Thatcham have been great for the last few years, managing to find me underwriters who take an individual view of the risk.

I forgot the insurance on my BMW.  It expired yesterday. :o 

I don't use it very much, but it's the first time that I have been happy about automatic renewals and when I checked, it cost me a few quid less than last year.  I'm happy with that B) 

• 1 month later...

Just got my renewal quote from Saga for the Boxster: £257 for full comprehensive, SDP use only, maximum NCD, 5k miles limited, locked garage when not in use.  That's a £16 increase over last year.  In line with the new regulations, Saga has quoted last year's premium in the renewal letter.

I'll live with that. :)

(Apologies from a rural wrinkly to you young urbanites, don't mean to rub your nose in it.) 

8 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Just got my renewal quote from Saga for the Boxster: £257 for full comprehensive, SDP use only, maximum NCD, 5k miles limited, locked garage when not in use.  That's a £16 increase over last year.  In line with the new regulations, Saga has quoted last year's premium in the renewal letter.

I'll live with that. :)

(Apologies from a rural wrinkly to you young urbanites, don't mean to rub your nose in it.) 

Yes that's about what I got quoted by Saga... and why I went with Aviva instead - £179 with the same as you (age/SDP/max NCD/5K limit/garaged)...

<smug> :-)

On 23/03/2017 at 8:59 PM, Araf said:

I forgot the insurance on my BMW.  It expired yesterday. :o 

I don't use it very much, but it's the first time that I have been happy about automatic renewals and when I checked, it cost me a few quid less than last year.  I'm happy with that B) 

Miracles do happy ?

41 minutes ago, solwisesteve said:

Yes that's about what I got quoted by Saga... and why I went with Aviva instead - £179 with the same as you (age/SDP/max NCD/5K limit/garaged)...

<smug> :-)

That's certainly a good deal.  I take it you were a new customer for that quote.  I'm impressed that my renewal quote is a very reasonable 6% increase over last year and I wouldn't bother to shop around in such circumstances.

8 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

That's certainly a good deal.  I take it you were a new customer for that quote.  I'm impressed that my renewal quote is a very reasonable 6% increase over last year and I wouldn't bother to shop around in such circumstances.

It's a multi-car discount thing plus 20% off because I'm already a customer of theirs (I have a pension plan with them). Yes it'll be interesting to see what happens next year.

@mickemo, what is your excess wih NFU out of interest? There's an additional £500 'performance car' or similar excess on my policy bringing the total to £1k. The policy itself was reasonable considering I'm under 30 and don't have a clean licence.

And are you saying they provide unlimited cover on the roof?

@K.I.T.T. my policy is with Hastings Premier (not NFU)

It cost £219 protected NCB, 100 comp excess, a few other bells and whistles too...I'm an old bugger born in the 60s.

Critically (for me) their policy covers the convertible roof whereas many other policies from other insurers (inc NFU) do not.

Archived