Insurance rising!

This year the premium has gone up by around £100. I tried LV and Saga, LV gave a very similar quote, and Saga wanted another £300 BEFORE adding in business use (which I need) so it would have been nearer £400 more! :axehead:So have stuck with  current insurer as I'm getting to the age when insurance firms won't want me as a new customer, especially when renewing my motorcycle insurance.:vsadv:

11 hours ago, kev911 said:

mine aint rising cause I'm an old fekr, the insurance that is

Hahaha!

Insurance surely hits a minimum price eventually doesn't it? Circa £120?

I think I paid around £160 on a classic Honda Civic last year. And about £250 on the Boxster S this coming year.

yeh mate I'm 54 and feelin it , cost me 180 pounds fully comp for my last boxster 3.2s, I'm saving at the moment for another  probably around the winter this year or early next year when prices fall again

3 hours ago, Jason986S said:

Hahaha!

Insurance surely hits a minimum price eventually doesn't it? Circa £120?

I think I paid around £160 on a classic Honda Civic last year. And about £250 on the Boxster S this coming year.

£96 on my Spitfire last October at age 49 despite 6 points.

On 3/18/2017 at 3:48 PM, Rev Ken said:

...adding in business use (which I need)......

I didn't think you could insure for acts of God? :huh: 

My renewal was also up, when is it not, but the now de facto shop around did yield a good result with reduced premium and a decent policy.

19 hours ago, mickemo said:

Cheap insurance is just cheap insurance.....check the small print and see if you feel comfortable with it covering your Boxster

Not really, why pay more then you need to ?

Obviously you need to check the policy carefully, but just because its more expensive doesn't necessarily mean the cover is any better.

50 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Not really, why pay more then you need to ?

Obviously you need to check the policy carefully, but just because its more expensive doesn't necessarily mean the cover is any better.

I agree but only to a point - let me clarify.    

Last year I did the usual comparison merry go round at renewal time and found some very low prices but these were coupled with high voluntary excess (250+), I tried a few of the forum sponsors too which at face value seemed to a good balance of cover vs excess, finally I also got a reasonable quote from the reputable insurance company NFU Mutual.   

BUT and its an important BUT....only 2 out of the 10 or so policies I checked covered the convertible roof for damage and / or vandalism, which brings me full circle back to my comment...check the policy small print carefully and make sure you are comfortable with the cover being provided for your Boxster.

Speaking personally, I would much rather pay an extra 10% premium knowing I have a policy that fully covers my Boxster and contains no exclusion clauses for the roof.  (even the NFU Mutual policy had the exclusion clause so price cannot be used as an indicator)

Hopefully that makes a little more sense 

18 minutes ago, mickemo said:

even the NFU Mutual policy had the exclusion clause so price cannot be used as an indicator

Which is all I was saying really.

Interesting point about the roof though :)

11 hours ago, mickemo said:

I agree but only to a point - let me clarify.    

Last year I did the usual comparison merry go round at renewal time and found some very low prices but these were coupled with high voluntary excess (250+), I tried a few of the forum sponsors too which at face value seemed to a good balance of cover vs excess, finally I also got a reasonable quote from the reputable insurance company NFU Mutual.   

BUT and its an important BUT....only 2 out of the 10 or so policies I checked covered the convertible roof for damage and / or vandalism, which brings me full circle back to my comment...check the policy small print carefully and make sure you are comfortable with the cover being provided for your Boxster.

Speaking personally, I would much rather pay an extra 10% premium knowing I have a policy that fully covers my Boxster and contains no exclusion clauses for the roof.  (even the NFU Mutual policy had the exclusion clause so price cannot be used as an indicator)

Hopefully that makes a little more sense 

The test of insurance is at claim time.

41 minutes ago, richardy said:

The test of insurance is at claim time.

Yes of course the claims process is important which is why I was keen to take out a policy with NFU Mutual....but as above the small print didn't cover the hood so ruled them out. So getting the right cover is also very important.

On the plus side, the policy i decided to take out with Hasting Premier I had a pretty good experience with front windscreen replacement - my car had a new Saint Gobain tinted top screen fitted at a dedicated windscreen fitting premises, none of this fit the windscreen on your drive (In all weathers) nonsense that you get with certain other policies :D

I renewed the 981 last week and paid £179 with Aviva (oh and £140 for the Polo). I thought that was very reasonable and the compulsory excess was acceptable (I've found 'cheaper' policies usually come tied to a ridiculous compulsory excess). I tried LV, Saga, Churchills and Admiral but Aviva were the best. btw if you're already an Aviva customer for anything then you get 20% off. I have a pension with them and hence the insurance was a lot cheaper. I didn't even know about this until I got to the end of the quote and it popped up saying 20% off for existing customer - apparently they automatically checked my name/address to see if I was already with them.

SO why does Saga want over £700 when I've got 9 years NCB and keep the car in a locked garage, the only 'extra' is business use? (For some reason I didn't take them up on their kind offer.)

9 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

SO why does Saga want over £700 when I've got 9 years NCB and keep the car in a locked garage, the only 'extra' is business use? (For some reason I didn't take them up on their kind offer.)

I think the reason is age Ken. Apparently when we get past 70, our claims record is approaching that of  young inexperienced drivers. A lot of companies are now not quoting for us mature drivers. 

10 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

It's because you're on a 'mission from god', like these chaps?

Just got our renewal quote for our MINI from Saga.  £154 fully comprehensive, 5k mileage limit, SDP use only, garaged when not in use.   That's a whole £1 cheaper than last year.  Needless to remark,  I cheerfully accepted. Being a bit of a crumbly has some benefits!

The Boxster renewal is due in May, also currently with Saga. 

Archived