How you know it's really love...

Mr96er

So last couple of weeks I've had her in sorting new springs. She's riding like a boss now! As the weather was cracking I took her up to Windermere yesterday at a very steady pace and had a lovely day by the lake. A mile from home after a lovely dinner in Kendal, misfire struck! First I felt the loss of power, then the stutter, finally the tell tale light came one. So I know she's going back to the garage, but...

this is where the love kicks in:

instead of thinking just get it fixed, I'm thinking how about they do a full diagnostic and test everything and then tell me how much to make her tip top, not just fix the fault in front of them. 

Then I start thinking of the rebuild possibilities.. 996 hybrid? Overbore kit? Fast road cams? And all of a sudden I catch myself committing to this as my lifetime keeper (my first) maybe it takes something emotional, or maybe it's just the right time. Either way, I know I want the best for "us" not just the basics to keep her pounding down the Strines. 

So my first thoughts are fast B road spec:

Engine - tight and free revving (pulley mod?) 

suspension - adjustable (just bought the springs but will junk them for adjustable  coil overs when the time is right) that way I can set it up as my ability improves and as the roads I choose vary: Strines set up would be quite different to Goat Track set up I suspect...

Brakes - standard (more than up to the task)

Seats - full buckets (keep originals but she's a fling-around-thing, so I need to be held firm.

Body - keep it aero spec (fix or replace bumper) 

If I can get a fast road engine build, she'll basically be a reborn scratching tool. Looks like a tired old 986, but goes like a sorted sleeper:ph34r:

So it begins...

mine is on a 51 plate and 126k miles.... But I turn around at least twice when I walk away... Yep true love!

mind you the definition of true love is..... Put your dog ? and your wife in the boot of your car for half an hour, open it and see which one is pleased to see you! ☺

I wouldn't spend serious money on mods for a 2.5 engine short of intake, throttle body. If you are spending big money on it then sell and get an S. Unless you are doing a @marseille and going 3.4 996. 

i've got a 996 74mm cable throttle body for sale yours for £80.00 delivered, also if your looking

for a bit more power get a early 996 ECU kit off ebay, you'll need to get it remapped but it will

allow you to rev to 7200.

It's very tempting to go down this route, but as said above, if you're going to think about engine mods then you're probably better off starting with an S.

I think my approach is going to be to make sure that everything on mine is in top notch condition, particularly the suspension as this is what makes them such a pleasure to drive. Getting to 60 slightly faster has limited appeal, it's the sensations you experience as it does it that makes the drive enjoyable.

How about doing the pulley mod and getting a lightened flywheel as someone on here has, especially if your clutch is getting heavy and needs doing. This sounds like it gives a real improvement in how the car feels, although at the expense of around town driveability. Also some sort of exhaust mod so it sounds more meaty.

My first priority is the suspension, currently looking at M030 setup which should transform the handling of my car on it's 140k dampers and rear springs?

It's exploratory at this point. I want to see what they come back with regarding Engine health first. Then prioritise around that and suspension. She's an inexpensive indulgence at the moment. This time next year I could have doubled my investment in her, but have a car for life. Even if for 5 years, it's still awesome value. 

There's only so much you can test and inspect without stripping the engine down. If it's working ok i wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want to be cautious replace the easy stuff which is known to wear with age eg waterpump, clutch, belt, check and inspect pulleys. 

Based on my experience (albeit a 986s) I would go:  

Can't comment on the 2.5/2.7 engine however.....

Lightweight single mass flywheel - the difference is very noticeable - both as the driver and based on passenger feedback. Done with engine out for something else approx £300?

Torque Biasing Diff - massive impact on traction and handling - probably a bit hardcore but I love mine and wouldn't be without it - £800-£100 fitted?

High clamping force clutch - no point on the road - was happy to see mine gone.

Suspension - by all means look at coilovers (I have them) but be sure they're what you want if you're staying away from the track.  A decent aftermarket shock and spring set might be better value in all senses of the term. Adjustable rear ARB is a useful and relatively inexpensive tweak. Always refresh anything that looks worn. Anywhere between £800 and £4k fitted

Geometry - dial out most of the understeer, a sharpener really - £200 or more if you visit Centre Gravity.

Brakes - for road only I'd leave them as they are.  That said a cool and stupidly cheap mod is 996GT3 brake scoops. <£10 a set

Seats - if you want more support when you're making progress check to see what other Porsche options there are - you don't need to buy buckets for road use.

Tyres - winters (yes that's right) an awesome way to extend the fun you can have in the car in the chillier months.  £600/£800 inc a spare set of 17" wheels.

Gear Change - upgrade service - Porsche parts and a decent indie to make sure everything is just so.  Probably something like £400 with replacement cables.

Sure there are other suggestions but these are all based on my own experience so hopefully they're helpful.

Thanks @map

tell me what benefit I can get from adjustable anti roll bars, please? Does it adjust the amount of compression under cornering? I.e. Flatten out the ride? 

10 hours ago, Loz987 said:

Thanks @map

tell me what benefit I can get from adjustable anti roll bars, please? Does it adjust the amount of compression under cornering? I.e. Flatten out the ride? 

"Flatten out the ride" - As I understand it ARBs help control the amount the car's body lifts on the inner side of a curve relative to the height of the body on the outer edge of the curve at the same point.  So yes it "flattens" things out when cornering.  The fact that some are adjustable allows you to alter the degree of flattening. On the set I have only the rear is adjustable and that is on one of the more aggressive settings.  The car feels "more pointy" because there's less body roll and on track at least it makes for a more focused chassis.

For pure road use I am not sure that non-standard ARBs will deliver huge benefit unless they're part of a wider upgrade.

ARBs will also change the turn-in.  Don't go too hard on the rear or you will find the car starts to understeer - and then you'll be chasing an aggressive geo setting that will wear the tyres quickly.

As Map says, look for fast road set ups rather than track tuned components. 

Thanks chaps! 

Fast road is defo the set up for me.

talked to my spanner man today. He's going to look at health check options but warned I could soon spend the value of the car in engine mods and upgrades. Also warned against dropping a 996 lump in from a reliability perspective. Nice to have a garage you can trust not to just take your money. Next week he'll look at her in ernest and stage 1 will be underway... 

Archived