Hard Ride !!!

Bodge50

I recently changed my Boxster and the missus is complaining of a firmer ride ! Old car had 18 inch rims -new one has 19s. so has lower profile tyre(35 instead of 40 )Instead of buying another set of wheels is it possible to put 40 s on 19 inch rims ? Thanks for all suggestions /derisive remarks in advance .

Adrian

Maybe worth checking how old the tyres are and what brand they are. Pilots can ride harder than say a Goodyear F1.

I run 19" with 35s on mine and it doesn't seem to hard, I've got Pilots in the front and Contis on the rear. I will change the front to Contis soon, mainly to match them up. I've also got PASM which I don't know if that helps with the ride on the 19s?

Not sure how old is too old but I know I bought a set of 18s for the 986 with Pilots on. Cosmetically they were fine but they drove like I got stone wheels like Fred flintstone ?

But I bought a new set of F1s and it drove fantastic on those rims, and a lot of the vibrating in the cabin disappeared....

Just changed all 4 tyres on my 19" wheels to Goodyear Eagle F1's. Had Michelin PS2's on before. Ride quality is much improved & not noticed any difference in grip, but then again I very rarely drive it hard. I didn't expect the ride to be much different but it is very noticeable, my guess is the Goodyears are a little more compliant over the bumps.

3 hours ago, Bodge50 said:

I recently changed my Boxster and the missus is complaining of a firmer ride ! Old car had 18 inch rims -new one has 19s. so has lower profile tyre(35 instead of 40 )Instead of buying another set of wheels is it possible to put 40 s on 19 inch rims ? Thanks for all suggestions /derisive remarks in advance .

Adrian

No.  The profile is a percentage of the tread width.  If you put 265/40 tyres on they will be taller, may rub on components and will change the gearing and speedo reading.

Get a set of 18" wheels and tyres.

If the tyres are old and low on tread then a new set with nearly 8mm tread will feel plush in comparison. 

On 18/04/2017 at 6:15 PM, Bodge50 said:

- made in  2009 - would this make much difference ?

Yes, they are almost antiques!!!  Performance should also improve massively when you replace them :)

Archived