Coolant tank

big mike

Had car in last week to garage for service, oil leak repairs and knock in suspension which was a sore one but made it perfect, or so I thought,

Had a little drive yesterday and when I stopped there was coolant coming out beside rear wheel, now I have already replaced the cap with upgraded so not that,

On further inspection today I can hear a hiss beside the air valve/ bleed point which I'm presuming means the header tank is goosed,

Can anyone give any advice if I'm looking in the correct/wrong area and also where the best place to buy from

I think the aftermarket ones are OK. The previous owner of my car did mine a few years ago now.

Make sure it is that though, as apparantly its a bit of a job to swap them out.

Put my money on the tank, I had exactly the same thing after Revolution put the new style cap on mine, I wonder if they (new tanks)  increase pressure? I'm sure someone knows the answer to that.

Give it a test with washing liquid in a spray bottle, be sure of what's amiss!, when mine went it was in the lower half, I would say the clear plastic is more prone to degrading.

14 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Put my money on the tank, I had exactly the same thing after Revolution put the new style cap on mine, I wonder if they (new tanks)  increase pressure? I'm sure someone knows the answer to that.

Sorry I meant new caps, seems coincidental that both went straight after new caps were fitted.

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

Sorry I meant new caps, seems coincidental that both went straight after new caps were fitted.

The spring in the old cap weakens allowing pressure to escape prematurely.  If the system has a weak spot then that will be exploited by the water as soon as the system is again pressurised correctly (with the new cap).

4 minutes ago, Araf said:

The spring in the old cap weakens allowing pressure to escape prematurely.  If the system has a weak spot then that will be exploited by the water as soon as the system is again pressurised correctly (with the new cap).

That is what I suspected, I think that they should warn you about this when they fit the new cap, with me it happened on the drive back from Revolution and since I never asked for the new cap I think it would be nice to have been told.

• 4 months later...

Have either a leak from the reservoir cap ( its blue and number ends in 0000) is this the "problem "one ?

Also what is the best option replacement option for the reservoir ? OEM is circa £325 , aftermarket £125 - any experience as to which is better ?

KT

Archived