Snow Foam anyone?

Happy Days

I have been persuaded (easily enough, I must add) to try out snow foam for our cars which according to the lads over at macanforums.com is the mutt's nuts. However, anyone used it with a convertible? I'd be wary of chemicals on the roof despite being careful applying it. Any thoughts?

Ive always been put off putting any chemicals on the roof, but have used snow foam on my hardtop daily cars.

Not used it on Viola for this very reason. Plus Viola hardly ever gets really dirty - so it is probably an overkill.

I use foam, it's just soap at the end of the day, won't harm the roof , i however usually avoid the roof on its weekly wash, but I noticed the hood getting a bit dirty so foamed the roof and gave it a gentle brush with a medium/soft bristled brush last week, came up great.

3 hours ago, Happy Days said:

I have been persuaded (easily enough, I must add) to try out snow foam for our cars which according to the lads over at macanforums.com is the mutt's nuts. However, anyone used it with a convertible? I'd be wary of chemicals on the roof despite being careful applying it. Any thoughts?

Try finishing off with this - you'll be impressed.

On 5/15/2017 at 7:49 PM, jimbob2911 said:

What is this supposed to do.  It looks like snow foam 

It leaves a shiny hydrophobic layer on the car - very quick and easy as you only leave it dwelling for less than a minute. 

Look at it as an LSP rather than snow foam which basically drags grit off the car. Once you've snow foamed and washed the car spray it with this stuff and then dry it.

Ok, tried it the other night. Almost impossible to foam the car without getting the roof plastered. I might throw a few towels over the roof in future. Using Ultimate Finish, and someone recommended a 1/3 dilution, ie 1/3 SF and 2/3 hot water. Totally rubbish with my Karcher sprayer, almost dripped straight off. Tried it undiluted after that and it was a wee bit better but not much. Might need a new washer, but frig that.

• 1 month later...

Since have updated to a Karcher K5 - better washer but the Karcher foam lance was dreadful - the foam dripped off almost instantly. I have since upgraded to an autobrite lance and it is completely different! 1/3 foam to 2/3 cold water now gives great results - I can do two cars with 1 litre of foam (300ml of Ultimate FInsih)  whereas before it was 700ml of foam per car! The autobrite lance is the business.

17 hours ago, Happy Days said:

Since have updated to a Karcher K5 - better washer but the Karcher foam lance was dreadful - the foam dripped off almost instantly. I have since upgraded to an autobrite lance and it is completely different! 1/3 foam to 2/3 cold water now gives great results - I can do two cars with 1 litre of foam (300ml of Ultimate FInsih)  whereas before it was 700ml of foam per car! The autobrite lance is the business.

You might find just as good foaming with even less foam, try 100ml in 1 litre.  It's the lance that makes the difference.

I put the foam on to a dry car using the Karcher bottle with about 2cm of concentrate.

Works a treat and in the 6 or so mins it takes me to fill up the buckets - it's job done.  I too do my best to avoid the roof, but it soon gets washed off.

I only started using a jet wash this year due to drop in water pressure, but I am impressed with the results and the water in my rinse bucket is definitely cleaner.

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

You might find just as good foaming with even less foam, try 100ml in 1 litre.  It's the lance that makes the difference.

True - I will experiment a bit over the weekend.

• 1 month later...

I used to be a huge fan of snowfoam but have given up on it as it makes such a mess. I now use something like Valet Pro Citrus Pre-wash which you just dilute in a pressurised spray bottle, spray it on the paintwork, leave it for a few minutes then rinse off. Works far better and much less messy and none on the roof. PS Try 303 Fabric Guard on the roof, water will bead off it too!I used to be a huge fan of snowfoam but have given up on it as it makes such a mess. I now use something like Valet Pro Citrus Pre-wash which you just dilute in a pressurised spray bottle, spray it on the paintwork, leave it for a few minutes then rinse off. Works far better and much less messy and none on the roof. PS Try 303 Fabric Guard on the roof, water will bead off it too!

I have now hit upon the right dilution using Ultimate Finish. 300ml per litre - enough to cover both cars and a little over for any missed bits. 300 /700 gives a good thick foam that clings well.Since I started using snow foam, I have only washed the car once using the bucket and wash mitt. Mint you, it's summer and the cars haven't been really dirty.

Archived