GTS Zunsport Grille

Davidbf1.com

Finally got around to fitting my black Zunsport front grilles to the GTS on Sunday.

No photo's yet I'm afraid, will try and do some before the week is out, but you'll have all seen them on other Bxstrs of course. 

Plenty of how-to guides on't 'tinternet of course, but I would do things a little differently if fitting them again in future (e.g another vehicle).

The GTS front grilles are 5 parts, 2 pieces for each of the left and right intakes, and then the centre. 

- Fitting the lower of each of the 2 front intakes is the fiddliest I found, so making sure to leave the upper one to last at least affords some space to get your hand in behind the lower grille.

- You need to consider the (single) spring-clip which hold this lower grille in place pretty-much as a one-time fit, and no adjusting the position kind of deal - i needed to move mine along by about 2cms once originally positioned, and it wouldn't bloody budge! Tried all manner of trying to open out the clip using a long thin screwdriver, but no joy. Brute force worked to some degree, but no way was it "reversing" out of the lip of plastic it was locked-onto. 

Lesson learnt with that one, when I came to do the other [lower] front side, I actually affixed the spring-clip onto the metal tab on the grill, then positioned the grille and pushed the grille back out - and the clip onto the plastic lip it's intended to lock onto, using this method the spring clip was in the right position when the grille was coaxed back outwards. Having left the upper [side] grille till last, there was some space to get hand in to carry out the task. The upper grille doesn't use spring-clips, it has tab-hooks already on which are pushed-outward to lock into place.

The centre grille was equally straightforward. Definitely easier once you've done one!

I also fitted my new, short, sans-Euroflag rear number plate using strong double-sided adhesive pads for a really clean look. Unfortunately couldn't do the front as the shorter plinth I'd ordered from 911-apart, doesn't, despite emails back and forth to the contrary, mirror the profile of my BGTS front bumper. So, I am probably going to go down the route of doing a cut & shut on the existing front plate plinth, using a plastic filler & matte black plastic paint to hopefully end up with something that looks like it was always that way. 

David

Where were you when I needed you!? :) Just fitted the grills to my GTS this afternoon. The product seems well made and a good fit but the instructions are a bit thin and the key photos sorely lacking in meaningful detail.

11 hours ago, Davidbf1.com said:

Finally got around to fitting my black Zunsport front grilles to the GTS on Sunday.

No photo's yet I'm afraid, will try and do some before the week is out, but you'll have all seen them on other Bxstrs of course. 

Plenty of how-to guides on't 'tinternet of course, but I would do things a little differently if fitting them again in future (e.g another vehicle).

The GTS front grilles are 5 parts, 2 pieces for each of the left and right intakes, and then the centre. 

- Fitting the lower of each of the 2 front intakes is the fiddliest I found, so making sure to leave the upper one to last at least affords some space to get your hand in behind the lower grille.

- You need to consider the (single) spring-clip which hold this lower grille in place pretty-much as a one-time fit, and no adjusting the position kind of deal - i needed to move mine along by about 2cms once originally positioned, and it wouldn't bloody budge! Tried all manner of trying to open out the clip using a long thin screwdriver, but no joy. Brute force worked to some degree, but no way was it "reversing" out of the lip of plastic it was locked-onto. 

Lesson learnt with that one, when I came to do the other [lower] front side, I actually affixed the spring-clip onto the metal tab on the grill, then positioned the grille and pushed the grille back out - and the clip onto the plastic lip it's intended to lock onto, using this method the spring clip was in the right position when the grille was coaxed back outwards. Having left the upper [side] grille till last, there was some space to get hand in to carry out the task. The upper grille doesn't use spring-clips, it has tab-hooks already on which are pushed-outward to lock into place.

The centre grille was equally straightforward. Definitely easier once you've done one!

I also fitted my new, short, sans-Euroflag rear number plate using strong double-sided adhesive pads for a really clean look. Unfortunately couldn't do the front as the shorter plinth I'd ordered from 911-apart, doesn't, despite emails back and forth to the contrary, mirror the profile of my BGTS front bumper. So, I am probably going to go down the route of doing a cut & shut on the existing front plate plinth, using a plastic filler & matte black plastic paint to hopefully end up with something that looks like it was always that way. 

David

So would you remove them when its in for service and warranty check as some posts on here suggest Porsche will fail it?

I have them on my 718 and a couple have already worked loose and pushed back, i then have to remove and re seat , the tension between the front grilles holds them in as its only a hook and and the the clip , the hook doesn't hook into anything so this doesnt stop the grille moving back.

I'm leaving mine on. Not sure how they can move short of being clobbered which would save the radiator anyway. Assuming fitted correctly of course. Ps mine a gts set though not a 718.

My car had a set fitted when it was traded to the OPC from which I bought the car. They were removed as part of the prep process and I never saw them in-situ but the previous owner confirmed they were in place when he part-exchanged it. When I asked the salesman (the sales manager no less) he said they had to be removed as they interfered with the airflow to the rads and condenser etc. I tried hard not to laugh - he's clearly been drinking the Porsche Kool-aid.

16 hours ago, Carmine said:

My car had a set fitted when it was traded to the OPC from which I bought the car. They were removed as part of the prep process and I never saw them in-situ but the previous owner confirmed they were in place when he part-exchanged it. When I asked the salesman (the sales manager no less) he said they had to be removed as they interfered with the airflow to the rads and condenser etc. I tried hard not to laugh - he's clearly been drinking the Porsche Kool-aid.

The problem is you can't really argue with that logic, clearly if does interfear with the airflow but enough to detrimentally affect cooling? In fact given it reduces stone impact and thus bent fins on the rads you could argue it improves long term cooling, plus Porsche do include them on some 911s, though they could say the design specifically allowed for the grills in those cases.

I personally struggle with that logic. Has Porsche really designed the cooling system to be so tight on extra capacity that a small reduction in airflow will cause a problem? Perhaps if I was doing high speed runs in Death Valley? Factors such as ambient temperature, humidity, air pressure, debris in the rads and bent fins are factors as well; one decent sized leaf will make a bigger difference.

The cynic in me suggests Porsche doesn't have a problem with the reduced airflow but the reduced cashflow from selling fewer rads, coolers and condensers! :lol:

2 hours ago, Carmine said:

I personally struggle with that logic. Has Porsche really designed the cooling system to be so tight on extra capacity that a small reduction in airflow will cause a problem? Perhaps if I was doing high speed runs in Death Valley? Factors such as ambient temperature, humidity, air pressure, debris in the rads and bent fins are factors as well; one decent sized leaf will make a bigger difference.

The cynic in me suggests Porsche doesn't have a problem with the reduced airflow but the reduced cashflow from selling fewer rads, coolers and condensers! :lol:

Of course you are absolutely correct, but the simple fact is the grills likely do affect the airflow to the radiators so if Porsche want to be awkward then they have grounds to base it on.. certainly if you had a cooling related issue and had grills fitted I suspect you might not get the easiest response.  Having said all this there are hundreds of people with grills fitted throughout the world with no such reported issues.

There's no doubt that Porsche could be awkward, if they chose, over any car with a mechanical problem that could conceivably be linked to a restriction in cooling airflow.  However,  their cars are extensively  tested in high ambient temperatures and I'm not aware that they need to upgrade the standard cooling system for such markets.  In our temperate climate, there should be no issues as the safety margins should be very large.  I've certainly not noticed any change in either water or oil temperatures since fitting Zunsports to mine.  All that said, I would probably still whip them off before the car went for any mechanical work under warranty, should the need arise.

• 1 year later...

Archived