All 3 engines of the 986: my resumee

hs0zfe

I love them all! :wub: Starting these engines is a pleasure. That sound is unique.

And I was talking through my hat when I inadvertently dissed Tiptronics. My "S" has one and it has worked flawlessly.

The difference between the 2.5 and the 2.7 is there, but rather subtle. 

Which 986 do you like best - and why?

Chris

There's more than 3 variants. There are 3 different capacities but there is at least 3 different 3.2 units, the early pre-facelift one, the facelift with different variocam, then the later 550 edition version. Whether the actual basic engine is different in the 550 I'm not 100% sure but it's SAE power rating is more. That may come from the bolt on intake and ancillaries though.

I noticed the difference between the 2.7 and 3.2... for all of a day and now i just want more. Don't get me wrong the 3.2 is great but for the fun of throwing it round corners either or tbh. Not tried the 2.5 so can't comment.

Owned a 2.5 and an early 3.2. Both a lot of fun and reliable in my small sample. The smaller the engine the more you can work it before reaching your limits or the legal ones.

3.2! got to be the big one! I think NA engines need at least 3L to work well, more is better, the 3.2 is quick but not truly fast, its not got the torque of a v8, but rev's like a small engine which is the fun bit and pull's well enough! I've mainly had sports or tuned cars and I'm sure the 2.5 and 2.7 are good but for me it would of been a step back in power, and since I'm a sith lord power is everything!

Well, like an addict, it's always the last one. But then I somehow happened to come across another S in Guards red, this time with the 6-speed gearbox. "No known faults" :o

The rest is history. That A good friend with a lovely 986 in unique factory colours (they painted this car to show it to the people who decide such things) found parts in the oil. We are talking 250,000 km. Now he wants the engine and the gearbox of a decent "S". 

https://ibb.co/mCYRXa

He is dared to take the 2.5 liter engine apart. (Some special parts were 1/3 the German price over here). He needed a tool to lock the cams etc. https://ibb.co/mZPddF That deserves a medal for bravery, JMHO! 

Chris

i did notice a big change from when i went from the 2.7 to the 3.2s :)

• 2 months later...

I've had three 2.5s and driven one 3.2 briefly. 

The fun for me is through the twists and turns of B roads. For this, I've found (while driving in higher powered company) that engine size is virtually irrelevant.

If I did more touring, I might appreciate the 6speed box... but frankly, if my car only had 3 forward gears at the current ratio it would be fine! I'd not be missing anything useful for 90% of my usage. 

On 20/05/2017 at 8:42 PM, Kas750 said:

I love my 2.5 as you an rev it to oblivion everywhere and revel in that glorious sound and no one notices :)

I had a 986 2.5 for nearly 10 years and 100k miles(140k total when sold) and the engine never missed a beat.  I got a 987 2.9 gen 2 to replace it and that was also a fab car but the 2.5 original 986 engine was for me more fun and accessible.  The 2.9 just got up to silly speed so quickly.  

Yep 3.2 on song goes silly speeds half way through third. 

I can see having a 2.5 would be more fun as you would be working the car harder. 

For what I use mine for I wouldn't mind a 2.5 

6 hours ago, Southy said:

Yep 3.2 on song goes silly speeds half way through third. 

I can see having a 2.5 would be more fun as you would be working the car harder. 

For what I use mine for I wouldn't mind a 2.5 

A good little weapon. 

Do you guys appreciate the mechatronics of the 2.5 liter engines? Less to go wrong / easier  to fix? http://ibb.co/cUk9Mk

I love the sound of the 2.5 flat six roaring to life. 

°°°

Porsche has an amazing offer for the latest 4 cylinder Boxster. Lease it for 9 months, like an extended test drive with a 10.000 km p.a. limit. 800 € a month, 800 € down.

Chris

16 hours ago, hs0zfe said:

Do you guys appreciate the mechatronics of the 2.5 liter engines? Less to go wrong / easier  to fix? http://ibb.co/cUk9Mk

Yes, it's what drew me to the 2.5 in the first place and I've enjoyed the result! 

I love the sound of the 2.5 flat six roaring to life. 

Amen to that, brother! The induction roar is intoxicating and the flat 6 wail from 4200rpm turns you into a little kid! 

°°°

Porsche has an amazing offer for the latest 4 cylinder Boxster. Lease it for 9 months, like an extended test drive with a 10.000 km p.a. limit. 800 € a month, 800 € down.

Chris

...which seems like "code" for, we can't sell these forkers! 

Archived