New sports rear exhaust a modification or not do l tell insurance company

Muddy

Hi , just had a powerflow stainless Steel exhaust back box fitted on 986 2.7. Wow what a difference a bit groany at 3000 revs but either side a very pleasant tune. Car feels very good too probably in my head. Looks very sweet too. Just thinking as we know what insurance companies are like to not pay out do you think l need to contact my insurance as this is a upgrade or just a new exhaust or would they not know the difference. Cheers 

Definitely, in their eyes a sports exhaust makes the car a bit faster and more desirable to thieves.  So if you have an accident they will say that you had modified the car and the modification could have contributed, if it gets nicked they will say the exhaust made it more attractive to the thieves. 

Ive had 2 experiences 

1 st car - stolen from my drive - z4 coupe with 20 inch ac schnitzer alloys and a remap and a sports exhaust (all notrecorded ) - insurance company didn't bat an eyelid and payed out

2nd car - Bmw x6m - just different / larger 22 inch alloys- stolenfrom my drive  and spend 12 months getting them to pay up after they said the alloys was why it was nicked.  Got a payout in the end but it was getting a bit nerve wracking toward the end there

you just can't tell how aresy they will be so I now declare everything

when I bought my 981 I even made sure they were aware of every single option on the car via email since porkers have such a huge array of options 

32 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Unless it looks identical to stock (and even then the engineers can usually tell the difference) then yes.  There's a guy on pistonheads had his claim refused for having a chrome tail trim on!!

You got a link to that, that sounds crazy !! I can put them on my ' never get insured by these guys ' List. 

44 minutes ago, Paulo123 said:

You got a link to that, that sounds crazy !! I can put them on my ' never get insured by these guys ' List. 

I can't locate this at the moment, was a couple of months ago, the guy had a £29 chrome tail trim on, and the engineer quoted a performance exhaust upgrade. Most responders were convincesd he must be talking about a performance tail pipe until he provided a picture the the exact part which was simply a screw on tail trim.. bonkers!

44 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I can't locate this at the moment, was a couple of months ago, the guy had a £29 chrome tail trim on, and the engineer quoted a performance exhaust upgrade. Most responders were convincesd he must be talking about a performance tail pipe until he provided a picture the the exact part which was simply a screw on tail trim.. bonkers!

Doesn't surprise me

insurance adjusters seem like sociopathic devils spawn nowerdays.

ps- been watching it's always sunny in Philadelphia tonight, and the green man episode.  Don't know if your usernames linked but it's p*ss funny. 

OT: a friend had an argument with the hired (Polish) household help who he had carrnal relations with until a new girlfriend took over. Crazed with jealousy, she stormed outside and hollered. A cop car came, sirens on. and she produced "a pistol". A  toy suitable for boys playing Cowboys. Soft metal. But some moron had bored it out? 

Even the engineers at COLT or BERETTA wouldn't have been able to turn this toy into a capable firearm.

Alas, German law regarded that thing as a "weapon" and a demand note was sent by the prosecution service for thousands of € (or pounds).

A different steering wheel? => the car will lose its "ABE", common permit to be roadworthy. Now the insurance won't (have to ) pay out and the owner will be in hot water over having no insurance!!!

Chris

If a car gets stolen and not found, presumably it is at the point in the claim conversation that you say "oh, it also has a sports exhaust so I want more money for that", that things will get a little bit shirty?

so either accept a standard payout for a standard car, or tell them so you can get enhanced cover, I would have thought?

On 19/05/2017 at 10:05 PM, Muddy said:

Thanks it's worth a few pounds on the policy to a non payout. Be interesting to see if and how much they increase my premium will let you know. 

I declared my exhaust as soon as I'd had it made and fitted. They consulted the list and told me no extra charge, but thanks for checking. 

Always best to be clear. 

Hi all, just contacted my insurance and the admin fee of £26 of mid change of policy was more than the £25 to add a exhaust modification. Happy with that £51 to have that sound and chrome tip twin pipes. Down side just seen a crack in my windscreen £100 excess guess it will save me 1 windscreen wash. Just need to make sure l get the right one believe the aerial runs in it. Cheers muddy 

Any thoughts on the Revolution Bypass Upgrade and declaring this to the Insurance Company?

I dont believe that this is marketed as a performance upgrade (i.e. increased power), just a nicer exhaust note.

Have others who have had this done declared it to the insurance company, and did they charge for it? I am with Aviva.

Declare it. When my insurer sent their assessor round, I started to get concerned that my glass rear window might jeapordise my claim (not standard, more desirable to theives, not declared etc.). It didn't, but in future I would tell them. 

Archived