Project Boxster 987 R

CliveH

• CliveH changed the title to Project Boxster 987 R

I have changed the title slightly as it will never look like a Spyder (nor intended to).

I have on my wishlist a Boxster boot badge in black, I toyed with the idea of adding an R but that could look naff so it's just going to be plain Boxster in black Spyder/Cayman R style.

Wishlist:

Performance modifications

Carnewal GT exhaust - been enjoying for nearly a year :rocks:

IPD "competition" plenum - still in search of an OEM plenum solution before committing to this cost

GT3 82mm throttle body - on the parts shelf

ITG foam filter - fitted but no idea what difference it makes, if any

Remap - we'll see how well the ECU adapts to the ultimate combination of the above before going down this road

Weight saving improvements (also look cool!)

Spyder lightweight 10 spoke wheels

GT2 bucket seats - just missed out on a pair!

Aesthetics

In the spirit of tasteful OEM modifications, I think the following will enhance the overall look and feel:

Spyder/Cayman R black exhaust tips

Spyder side vents

Boxster boot badge/logo in Spyder black

Spyder/Cayman R Porsche side decals

Red seat belts - already fitted and probably add about 5hp :D

Spyder/Cayman R steering wheel

Spyder/Cayman R manual gear lever red insert

Spyder/Cayman R red RS style door pull conversion - there is a full kit which achieves this, not cheap and looks a bit fiddly so I'm not 100% committed on this but would certainly finish off the interior

• Like 2

Just a quick little trick if you want to see if you like the look of a black rear badge!

35137139941_c539ba4917_b.jpg

Ive been trying to decide if I fancied a black badge or a chrome one. So I decided today to black my oem one out on the car with some Halfords plasti dip.

Its a bit of a boy racer trick but I had a tin lying around (£8) and thought I would try it.

Its not permanent so you can easily peel it off but it should last 6-8weeks so you can try before you buy?

I like the look on mine ?

Well I was dead set on getting a chrome badge but now I'm liking the black ?

Its on axle stands at the minute while my wheels are being powder coated, but once I can move it I will get some shots from different angles and light before I finally make my mind up.

But I think the satin black suits the grey paint work and with your light weight/racing type plans, I think it could help with a meaner look ?

Regarding mods the upgrade to the larger TB is about 150 pounds depending on how cheap you can find a cayman / later version boxster inlet distributor and throtte body. You also need to factor in either buying reducers or new sleeves for the inlet manifold and clips to suit. Its all posted on my original article on the planet 9 website with part numbers.

For the original OP question about using the 3.2S manifolds , these are a straight swap. Interesting for Gert to suggest a 7hp gain from the Carnewal exhaust , he rarely quotes figures and doesn't generally hold much regard for rolling road figures.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love a set of carrera classics instead of my design sports hahaha lol you keeping that rear bumper and spoiler? of and the front splitter thingies? ;)

You not better starting with a car that's not a sport spec, like mine :P ?  they not rare?

Edited by mwmackenzie

The Sport Edition is quite rare which I think is a good base line for a "project R" as it shares some of the Spyder styling and has the lowered sports suspension with PASM.

Hi, just read through this and laughed when I saw you mentioning the S/RS modding, its a bug that follows you to different cars for sure.

I like the idea but some of the spyder specific equipment seems very expensive.  I reckon wheels will make the biggest feel difference, thought about OZ HLT's?  I had them on my 996 and they were amazing light. 

13 minutes ago, coullstar said:

Hi, just read through this and laughed when I saw you mentioning the S/RS modding, its a bug that follows you to different cars for sure.

I like the idea but some of the spyder specific equipment seems very expensive.  I reckon wheels will make the biggest feel difference, thought about OZ HLT's?  I had them on my 996 and they were amazing light. 

I do remember your screen name from AudiSRS, and no doubt you will remember my modding bug back then :)

I agree, the Spyder/Cayman R equipment is silly money but I'm on a budget so will only be buying if the price is right. I want to keep the car as OEM as possible and the lightweight Porsche wheels are a must in my book (but won't be paying £8k for a set!)

9 minutes ago, jimk04 said:

Lee added an eBay link to some carbon 996 gt3 replica seats...

ah yes, thanks. I did see that, but as eluded to above no reps for me :)

1 hour ago, CliveH said:

I do remember your screen name from AudiSRS, and no doubt you will remember my modding bug back then :)

I agree, the Spyder/Cayman R equipment is silly money but I'm on a budget so will only be buying if the price is right. I want to keep the car as OEM as possible and the lightweight Porsche wheels are a must in my book (but won't be paying £8k for a set!)

Ive still got my B5 RS as well so the Boxster is my budget modder.  I totally understand the approach, thought about the same style wheels as you have but 18's as there supposed to be really light or is it the look your going for mainly?