981 Boxster v BMW M235i convertible

Waxy

So first of all, as requested, I have posted a photo of my new (to me) 981.

Not a particularly exciting photo, but I haven't had a chance to do some fancy photos yet!

The car is fairly well specced and includes : 

PDK, PCM, Sports Chrono Package, Performance Sports Exhaust, Bose system, cruise control, embossed sports seats and the painted Carrera S wheels.

As I mentioned in my previous thread I have recently chopped in a BMW M235i convertible for the Boxster and for anyone who is interested here are my initial thoughts.

Boxster stuff I like :

The handling is on a totally different level to the Beemer as is the grip. Whilst the ZF gearbox in the Beemer was pretty good the PDK is much better, I have been using the paddles waaaay more than I did in the Beemer.

The sound of the engine...oh my gosh...the sound! Helped by having the engine behind your head and the PSE I will never get tired of that six pot singing. Also the engine actually appears to be more economical than the Beemer.

Finally I quite like the exclusivity of the brand, in my neck of the wood every other car seems to be a BMW, whereas a Porsche is far less common, which I quite like. Weirdly I have also noticed that people tend to move out of your way more readily on the motorway...

Boxster stuff I don't like :

Lack of torque compared to the Beemer. Obviously I realise that the Boxster is a sports car and revs a lot higher than the BMW, however I had gotten quite used to the almost instant shove of the BMW's motor, whereas I find I need to drop a couple of cogs before the Boxster start pulling hard.

The flipping creaky roof!!

The fact I can only share the fun with one other person. Again I realise that this is a proper sports car, but being able to put all my kids in the car (I have 3) and all go and enjoy some roof down fun, I do miss that.

Lack of steering wheel controls and all the fiddly little buttons. BMW iDrive knocks the Porsche into a cocked hat in this respect.

That's about it.

Overall I love the new car and am very happy with it

Get your roof looked at.

If you want steering wheel buttons, buy a PlayStation ;)

If I put kids or wife in my car and drive it how I want to, they're vomiting within 5 mins.  It is actually a bonus to be able to not take them :)

Looks lovely, enjoy! The stereo/comms package isnt great in the Porsche for a 2012+ car. The £25 bluetooth stereo I recently bought for my Skoda commuter is better than the £2500 system in my 981! I-Drive is still my preferred control of choice in any car.

At the end of the day though everything else is do brilliant who cares :) 

Nice car, white looks great - when clean^_^

Torque - is yours a base or 'S'?  Obviously the 'S' is somewhat better in this regard. Overall though it's a different mindset when driving, for a daily driver the lack of torque can be annoying sometimes but when pressing on it's not a problem at all.  Obviously the 718 solves this problem, but you lose that huge grin inducing growl of the F6.

if you have the Sport Design wheel it is a thing of great elegance and I would not want to spoil that with buttons, though a method of volume adjustment with hands on the wheel would be good.

I'm fortunate in only having one child and he is at the age where he loves coming out on drives with me, this is good as SWMBO isn't so keen on the wind in her hair!

• 2 months later...

Interesting comparison and I'd like to hear more please. I have a M135i from new and now 3.5 years old which I absolutely love. But a change of job means I can now go back to having a 2 seater roadster.

Problem is each time I drive my M135i I think will the 981 as good as it looks drive better then my beemer!!!!

I know the only way to find out is to get out in one and I will. Just my thoughts for now.....

7 minutes ago, ajayp said:

Problem is each time I drive my M135i I think will the 981 as good as it looks drive better then my beemer!!!!

Pfffft...

Get one on an all-day loan.

Get back into yours and start driving, you'll wonder if you just got into someone's 5 series.

I have an f80 m3 and recently got back into Porsche with a 987s. Driving them back to back is surprisingly chalk and cheese. The beemer is massively quicker in a straight line but throttle response feels sooooo slow initially and to be honest it's almost too fast often losing traction as you change from 3rd to 4th for example unless road is bone dry and road is arrow straight.  By contrast Porsche traction is incredible and it's surprisingly civilised - certainly a lot quieter in the cockpit at motorway speeds.  Randomly I almost see the Porsche as the more "everyday" car and certainly has a more rounded set of talents overall. 

Nice motor. White is the best colour :)

I have the base 2.7 and torque is lacking. My other car is an Audi 3.0 v6 diesel... 500nm of torques but out of the 2 i prefer the revving f6 to the tourqey v6 oh how it sings with the pse on up at the red line, still makes me smile 18 months on :) not the fastest car in a straight line but take on the twistys and nothing can match it.... :D

1 hour ago, ajayp said:

Interesting comparison and I'd like to hear more please. I have a M135i from new and now 3.5 years old which I absolutely love. But a change of job means I can now go back to having a 2 seater roadster.

I know the only way to find out is to get out in one and I will. Just my thoughts for now.....

Hi @ajayp I've owned a 981 S (62 plate) PDK) and an M135i (65 plate LCI). (11k miles - 3 door non M adaptive suspension - manual).

Driving experience wise I found the 981S far far superior to the M135i.

The M135i felt like a boat at sea compared to the taught / responsive / accurate / balanced chassis of the 981.

The M135i felt 'modern' and was very comfortable as a daily (once the seat was in the right position) or on a long journey also had lovely effortless torque.

But I found the 981S more enjoyable - all of the time - from the engine note (such a good noise) -the engine response (way sharper than the M) - just a sports car compared to a 1 series with an impressive engine and bits on...

Running reports on both cars on the forum - just my humble view..

In summary - get a 981S!! B)

12 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Pfffft...

Get one on an all-day loan.

Get back into yours and start driving, you'll wonder if you just got into someone's 5 series.

lol - yes I think that would be the way forward.

Also having had spine surgery need to make sure the ride is not crazy on the 20" rims that most of the cars have.

11 hours ago, Blackbatchew said:

I have an f80 m3 and recently got back into Porsche with a 987s. Driving them back to back is surprisingly chalk and cheese. The beemer is massively quicker in a straight line but throttle response feels sooooo slow initially and to be honest it's almost too fast often losing traction as you change from 3rd to 4th for example unless road is bone dry and road is arrow straight.  By contrast Porsche traction is incredible and it's surprisingly civilised - certainly a lot quieter in the cockpit at motorway speeds.  Randomly I almost see the Porsche as the more "everyday" car and certainly has a more rounded set of talents overall. 

That's interesting as up until 6 weeks ago I was certain on my next car being the M2. Test drove one and got the deal I wanted but waited due to changes coming at work. Glad I did as I am now one of the guys they are letting go. There was also a car policy which controlled what I could drive hence the similar type of car. 

Anyway as now my situation has changed, I can go back to a 2 seater sports car. 

I think I just need to go test drive a few and maybe consider a late 987s.2 PDK due to back issues. 

11 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Hi @ajayp I've owned a 981 S (62 plate) PDK) and an M135i (65 plate LCI). (11k miles - 3 door non M adaptive suspension - manual).

Driving experience wise I found the 981S far far superior to the M135i.

The M135i felt like a boat at sea compared to the taught / responsive / accurate / balanced chassis of the 981.

The M135i felt 'modern' and was very comfortable as a daily (once the seat was in the right position) or on a long journey also had lovely effortless torque.

But I found the 981S more enjoyable - all of the time - from the engine note (such a good noise) -the engine response (way sharper than the M) - just a sports car compared to a 1 series with an impressive engine and bits on...

Running reports on both cars on the forum - just my humble view..

In summary - get a 981S!! B)

Hi Andy,

Cheers fella, gonna put the kettle on now and have a proper read of this! 

50 minutes ago, ajayp said:

Also having had spine surgery need to make sure the ride is not crazy on the 20" rims that most of the cars have.

It shouldn't be difficult to find a 981 owner with 19in rims who agrees to a no-cost swap - most seem to think the bigger wheels are desireable. (Maybe difficult to find the 19s though, many seem to have been ordered with 20in!)

Archived