911 itch

minorworx

We have owned our 2001 2.7 Boxster for 3 years and 18 months ago decided to scratch the itch and bought a 911. Luckily we kept the 986 and have now decided to replace the family car, the decision on which car to put towards it was easy. The 986 imho a far better more practical car, the 911 value is over 3 times that of the 986 but no way is it 3 times the car, It doesn't have the raw power if the 911 but it makes up for it in many other ways. So the 911 is going and no regrets. now looking froward to driving the pants off the 986 which is unbeatable value for money. Now looking to do some mods clear lights, led's, spoilers and hifi with satnav

31 minutes ago, mike597 said:

My 911 itch is still bothering me.  

Me too.  It will at some point be resolved one way or another.  

If I was taken by the look of a convertible 911 I might be tempted now.  Don't want more than one toy car at home right now.  And I like the top down option with my 987. Mmm...

I've never looked back for a second even with the maintainance costs being much firmer.

I agree that using your head it may not be 3 times the car - the Boxster is a tremendous drivers car and every bit a Porsche.

But using your heart?.... It is absolute class and i promise you, every time I'm about to get in it i feel a little bit giddy.

I've no doubt i'll have a Boxster again one day but no matter what butIf i don't have a 911 in the garage there will be a hole there - never felt that about a car before.

32 minutes ago, antjrice said:

I've never looked back for a second even with the maintainance costs being much firmer.

I agree that using your head it may not be 3 times the car - the Boxster is a tremendous drivers car and every bit a Porsche.

But using your heart?.... It is absolute class and i promise you, every time I'm about to get in it i feel a little bit giddy.

I've no doubt i'll have a Boxster again one day but no matter what butIf i don't have a 911 in the garage there will be a hole there - never felt that about a car before.

I agree it's just something about having an actual 911 sat in my garage I still find unreal somehow,and that's  before I start driving it.

The whole 9*6 platform is ageing very well I think. This is being shown with the firming up of the prices for the carreras. 

The C4S has seen a nice rise in prices to follow the turbo over the past couple of years. Prices of good 996 turbos are very close to 997.1 turbo money now.

IMO the one to watch is the humble 3.4 C2 with the cable throttle. Ageing well, no driver aids other than ABS, very reliable and still pretty quick. These will be the non-turbo/GT collectors cars out of all of them I think....

The itch for me had to be scratched and I'm glad I did it, But its needs must and when I got the Boxster out of the garage I realised that it is not a poor substitute for a 911. I'm lucky that I own both and have no difficulty in making the decision to sell the 911. I remember discussing this before on the forum I bought it  and someone said then that they had gone back to the Boxster, at the time I couldn't  see why, but now I know.

When I was 18 and I first clapped eyes on a 911 that was the car I wanted and dreamt that one day I would own one. but the danger with dreams is that they can be better than reality, and in my case the Boxster was by far a much better car than I thought it would be. In some ways I regret buying the 911 but it is a brilliant car and the power is awesome, it took me up the Stelvio Pass and touring around Switzerland and will have fond memories. dammit now Ill have to do it all again in the Boxster 

As you guys have said, the boxster is in no way a substitute. They are an amazing car in their own right and vastly underrated by everyone who has never driven one.

I would rather sell my turbo than my leggy 986, in fact my turbo is up for sale so I can move onto a 997.2 turbo S, but the only car I have ever missed was the very first boxster I ever had. I missed it when I had my C4S, missed it when I bought the turbo and only last year became reacquainted with a 986 again. I believe there is something truly great about the 986 platform and, whilst the technology is progressively better in the more modern models, every generation since the 986 has lost some of its character.

So agreed, it is a very lucky lad who has both :king:

I think anyone who loves Porsche cars is at heart a 911 fan, as a 911 is the iconic Porsche, always was and always will be.  That's not to say other models are less appealing depending on what budget you have etc.  I'm personally not keen on the styling of any 911 convertible, but Boxsters look made to be convertible.  I have always wanted a 911 since the late '70s when I had a ride in a SC Targa belonging to my boss.  The Boxster is such a great car that when I could eventually afford a new Porsche in retirement I bought one - but that itch still needed scratching and after test driving a 991.2 I knew I wanted one very badly - so am expecting my GTS in about a month - I consider myself very lucky to be in a position to buy a new one.

In the future I may eventually want a Boxster again - in an ideal world I would have both, a 987 or an early 981 2.7 would do very nicely - and I may well justify that in a few years if I'm still healthy enough to enjoy them.

11 hours ago, Gorsh said:

I think anyone who loves Porsche cars is at heart a 911 fan, as a 911 is the iconic Porsche, always was and always will be.  That's not to say other models are less appealing depending on what budget you have etc.  I'm personally not keen on the styling of any 911 convertible, but Boxsters look made to be convertible.  I have always wanted a 911 since the late '70s when I had a ride in a SC Targa belonging to my boss.  The Boxster is such a great car that when I could eventually afford a new Porsche in retirement I bought one - but that itch still needed scratching and after test driving a 991.2 I knew I wanted one very badly - so am expecting my GTS in about a month - I consider myself very lucky to be in a position to buy a new one.

In the future I may eventually want a Boxster again - in an ideal world I would have both, a 987 or an early 981 2.7 would do very nicely - and I may well justify that in a few years if I'm still healthy enough to enjoy them.

I think Gorsh sums it up very well.  Boxsters, as I understand it, were made to be convertible, and 911 convertibles look a bit awkward (and have even less room in the back than a coupe).  911 coupes always catch my eye, but I like convertibles, and unfortunately don't have the funds to have both.

My dream car has always been a 911 and I'd love a 997 coupe but a toddler and another on the way are forcing me to put that one on the back burner (although I am telling my wife the seats in the back would make it a practical family wagon!).  In the meantime, my 986 is keeping me very happy and has done for over 9 years!

I loved my 986 and everything about it, they are without doubt an absolute bargain these days for what they are capable of it's it's in good order.

My 997tt was a great car but in truth I hated the 1st gear it was so short and hard acceleration in it annoyed me as it was rev limiter territory all the time and I'm a more mechanically sympathetic driver.

The 991tts is in another league in every way and the pdk box is a necessity given the above statement and I'm grateful for it. I've yet to truly explore the car due to commitments and use of another 4wd but I will do soon

911 or 991 itch well & truly scratched and the question is, would I sell the 911 for a Boxster? Not a chance.

I would however have a Boxster in s heartbeat if I had the space for one and could justify 3 Porkers :laugh:

I’ve hankered after a 911 since I was a kid, but now that I can afford one I’m totally and utterly engrossed in the Boxster Club for all the reasons that I don’t need to repeat here :) 

That said, when the itch does surface I’m all over pistonheads and autotrader and recently flirted with a 997 4S convertible in meteor grey which I thought was well priced at £24k. Then I stood back and thought MrsH won’t even notice the difference, which is why it probably so closely resembled what I have! 

I still fancy one, just to tick the box of owning and experiencing the iconic Porsche, but then I dread the thought of being boxsterless :unsure: 

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:51 PM, Boxstercol said:

+ 1.

A 996 C4S would hit the spot.

+2

Done nothing but look at every 996 C4S that comes up for sale with "Shall I" viewed a few but generally disappointed that condition wise they are miles away from my 03 986S for 2 to 3 times the money.

14 hours ago, CliveH said:

That said, when the itch does surface I’m all over pistonheads and autotrader and recently flirted with a 997 4S convertible in meteor grey which I thought was well priced at £24k. Then I stood back and thought MrsH won’t even notice the difference, which is why it probably so closely resembled what I have! 

I think our forum leader has just posted his intention to sell his ;)

As much as I love 911s i genuinely thought the Boxster was my ideal car from when I first saw it. I then got the opportunity to drive one a few years back and absolutely loved it but the time wasn't right to buy one then. 

Now i have one I still have to pinch myself occasionally to reassure me that i drive a Porsche to work daily. And then when the weekend comes i can't think of a better car to go wafting about in, especially when you find a good road. I found one at the weekend and had that good a time driving one way that i turned around and went back again!!! Add that to the fact they are actually practicable and don't cost that much you're scared to park it anywhere and you have a great combo. I purposely went for as basic a spec car as i could find as i wanted the undiluted experience and i am far from disappointed. 

I think the time may come when i look at 911s. I've driven a couple but for some reason they don't make me fizz inside as much as the 986 does. It could be the roof down combo or the fact it feels like an old time sports car with more power and better brakes that does it, i'm not sure what it is but the car is far more than the sum of it's parts.

Archived