Buying a Boxster

Manofkent

Hi,

I wonder if I can draw on your experience of owning a Porsche Boxster. I am going to buy either a late 987 or early 981. I am going abroad for a year and am wanting to buy a car to take with me on an extended road trip across Europe.

I am wanting to find out if there is a premium to buy a car now in July in the summer as opposed to late in the year say October? If so what kind of premium would you expect on car worth perhaps around £30-39k? 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Welcome

There is a summer premium (I couldn't say how much), but prices are a little odd since the release of the 718, some theories think there is more demand for the old 6-cyl engine rather than the new 4-cyl.

For your road trip, do carefully look into insurance; at least with people actually living out of the UK, rather than travelling, insuring a UK-registered car has often caused headaches. Check out headlight conversions too, they seem to change between models.

Thank you for your input. I have been told that the demand for the 981 is really strong for the same reason and this was by a Porsche main dealer. I was thinking that because it's a Boxster and already a soft top then perhaps a Summer premium may be quite small, I'm happy to pay a small increase to start my trip early but not a massive hike. 

You are right with the insurance but there are companies in Europe who are happy to provide multi country cover even though the Uk insurance companies will not. Another topic no doubt!

Appreciated

I bought my 987.2 with PDK last year and wondered about the summer premium as its was August and in the end I concluded it might be £1-1500 max but the harder part was finding a car with the right spec/provenance so I bit the bullet in the end and enjoyed the car during a very fine summer/autumn.

It's really hard to read the current market so my advice would be don't try, if you find the right car and can afford it then go for it - with a long road trip ahead you probably want to know that things like tyres/brakes/service have been refreshed recently which is what swayed me towards my car.

Good luck :)

Many thanks. I have come to the same conclusion. I am working on the fact that the right car and spec is most important, it will cost less in the long term and may re-sale at a value as well. Thanks for your input. First time I have used a forum and it's been a great experience.

J

Welcome along, quick work on the purchase. Enjoy!

That looks excellent, good luck with the Europe trip!

Am puzzled - it's a 981 but those wheels look a lot like 987 Spyder wheels. Any 981 fans know if that's likely or they're different? I thought the nice style wheels on the 981 were all 20inch...

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Am puzzled - it's a 981 but those wheels look a lot like 987 Spyder wheels. Any 981 fans know if that's likely or they're different? I thought the nice style wheels on the 981 were all 20inch...

I think those are 981 20" Carrera S wheels (as on @Stuart21UK's?) but in black - very similar design to the 987 Spyder 19", tho I don't know if they are identical or not.

On 4 July 2017 at 4:52 PM, Manofkent said:

Hi,

I wonder if I can draw on your experience of owning a Porsche Boxster. I am going to buy either a late 987 or early 981. I am going abroad for a year and am wanting to buy a car to take with me on an extended road trip across Europe.

I am wanting to find out if there is a premium to buy a car now in July in the summer as opposed to late in the year say October? If so what kind of premium would you expect on car worth perhaps around £30-39k? 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Re the European road trip, where are you planning to go?

Just back from a tour of Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Germany myself, drove most of the Alpine and Dolomite Passes - awesome roads!

I guess the answer is everywhere!  planning an extended trip over a year. Will start in Spain and Portugal, getting the ferry to Santander and Galicia and then working our way across Europe. Would like to drive the Nordics too and there is a ferry from Northern Germany across to Sweden which we have been recommended. Alps and Dolomites a must, in fact we have skied the Dolomites many times and would like to see the region in the summer too.

Sounds great, I've never been to Scandinavia - maybe I need to investigate!

If in Northern Spain, give San Sebastián a try, lovely City with nice architecture and tasty buffet style tapas type food to die for!

We did a route from Chamonix over the passes into Switzerland, then south to the North Shore of Lake Garda before exploring the Dolomites around Cortina - simply stunning roads and scenery!

Finished it all off with a drive along the B500 through the Black Forest to Baden Baden and a visit to the Porsche factory and museum in Stuttgart - recommended!

Have a great time, the Boxster is the perfect sports car for this type of trip!

Archived