Accessing the top engine bay with glass window

MakeTeaNotWar

I've tried looking for some videos to demonstrate how to get the roof fully retained to allow for proper and unrestricted access to the top of the engine however everything I see people have the older plastic windows which doesn't help me as my glass window gets stuck behind the head seat safety bars meaning I can't get proper access to the top of the engine.

can anyone with a glass window explain what the best method is to get around this? I'm hoping there's a straight forward answer that's escaped me! 

I followed this - seemed to work well at the time 986 & 987 with glass screen:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Accessing_the_Engine.html

From memory - Open it 18 inches ish / undo the ball joints at the rear skirt part / until the window folds up nicely / use the Velcro strap to hold it in place (stretches to front of hood to hold in place).

I had to use the piece of wood with the 986 with an aftermarket glass screen hood.

But the access was still tight due to the design of the glass window.

My 987 has the elastic strap and due to it being an oem hood the access is slightly better ?

You guys need a simple bungee cord. However with normal facelift hold its never been a problem. 

Make sure the front of the hood is exactly 400mm from the top of the screen when putting it into service mode, that way the screen clears the roll bars and use the velcro strap to hold it up. Always works for me as I have been into the top of the motor a lot later solving my AOS problems

Archived