Sub £3.5k Boxsters: Share your bargain buys

Mr96er

5 minutes ago, Welly_59 said:

Not even that. I've done all the repairs myself with parts sourced from autodoc. The most expensive part was 4 new tyres. Droplinks were £9 and discs were £20. Coffin arms £25 each, and strut off a Facebook group - £50 as the guy had replaced with sport shocks.

Great work! So much car for the money if you're handy with the spanners

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just spotted a rather nice looking 2.5 litre 986 on Facebook for £2,995.00. 106k miles on the clock. That would surely be worth a punt if one was on the lookout? 

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/120373292/porsche-boxster-25-convertible-manual.html?fbclid=IwAR1MJGBl71NEIeDfucwKXFZB-uT3cakAmkTshLGqs_DSTxrn0Q8vTKRN8oc

• 5 weeks later...

Someone could drive off in a £2250 boxster right here!!! 
I’d buy this if I was looking. Proper bargain. Cat S and some brake fluid spilled on front bumper. 
recent MOT and £600 on brake pipes. 

I have no connection to this car but thought it keeps this thread relevant. 

On 10/20/2020 at 12:18 PM, Kay Pee said:

Just bought my first Porsche - 1998 2.5 with 99k in Scotland - was a very nice drive home over the weekend along the A70 to catch the boat to Belfast.

£2800 and it's MoT'd until next Aug

Things wrong that I know of so far:

• Alarm keeps going off (only when you have an audience)
    • Re-flowed the solder on both key PCBs and all seems good now :)
  • ABS light on solid - not sure how to tell if it's pump or sensor
  • Passenger seat back is loose and flops about under hard braking - scared the life out of me when i tested the brakes
  • Front discs rippled on the backs
  • Handbrake cable slack, rear left brake seems to grab suddenly when using the handbrake
  • Rust on hind quarters - starting to go at rear sill lips
  • Underside has been painted black, presumably to hide rust, but all seems solid and no flaking
  • Ignition barrel doesn't spring back from starting position - means the headlights and wipers don't work until you twist the key back a little - glad I caught that one early
  • Cheap droney exhaust - lovely on full tilt though
  • cr*p standard radio - I've a Kenwood DAB ready for it, just need to suss the wiring
  • Front bumper has a big hole cut under the numberplate, aftermarket LEDs (one working)

Good bits:

• Receipts for clutch, DMF, IMS all done 30k ago
  • Hood has been replaced, mechanism good too
  • 17" twists, painted grey, no chips or kerbing
  • Handling sweet, no knocks
  • Got the rear storage bin (does anyone actually use this?)
  • Nice early orange indicators
  • Decent tyres
  • Amazing exhaust music on full tilt with the roof down

IMG_20201018_1019110.thumb.jpg.8d41b64c0652314bab349b74e4af5a38.jpgIMG-20201018-WA0000.thumb.jpg.f1ddaf0027ed6db36b400ed15fd5f01b.jpg

How did you get on with the ABS? Ours keeps flagging up LF wheel speed sensor fault, despite this being replaced, the intermitent fault remains. Bloody ABS.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:13 AM, Mr96er said:

Someone could drive off in a £2250 boxster right here!!! 
I’d buy this if I was looking. Proper bargain. Cat S and some brake fluid spilled on front bumper. 
recent MOT and £600 on brake pipes. 

I have no connection to this car but thought it keeps this thread relevant. 

50782792491_4dc6a27086_b.jpg

0.1 BTC is a fair price

On 1/1/2021 at 12:01 PM, Bloke said:

How did you get on with the ABS? Ours keeps flagging up LF wheel speed sensor fault, despite this being replaced, the intermitent fault remains. Bloody ABS.

@Bloke My generic OBD2 scanner and Torque doesn't report any faults, so not much use.

Borrowed a friend's Snap-on garage tool and was able to see both ABS and engine codes. I was seeing:

- FR wheel speed sensor - unknown fault

- FL wheel speed sensor - unknown fault

The fault was pretty clear when I graphed the 4 wheel speed values, the front right stayed flat (0mph) whereas all other sensors reported the wheel speed correctly.

Still have to get the wheel off and see where the fault might lie

• 3 weeks later...

It’s the season alright! 
noticed a fresh slew of £2000-3000 986s coming through the market.

a bit off topic but did anyone notice the 987S manual with 174k on the clock for £5100 on eBay last week. A great indicator that bargains are still to be had! 

• 3 weeks later...

I have arranged to buy the car in the thread below. It should be delivered to me on Saturday.

Thinking of Selling - For Sale / Selling Advice - www.BoXa.net

If being sensible was anything to do with it, I shouldnt really buy it, as I currently wont even have the spare cash to tax and insure it.

I know there is lots of overtime coming up at work in the next few months though, so man maths tells me it will all be ok.

Darren is throwing in the new arms he bought to fix the roof and speed sensor for the speedo, which helps.

Plan is to leave the roof well alone until the better weather gets here.

Almost no history with the car, so it seems sensible to change the oil / filter and air filter, check the drain holes,then sort the speedo.

After that, tax& insurance.  Ive noticed its wearing Jinyu tyres, and they will have to go as soon as funds allow.

Next, delve into sorting the roof, then go over the rest of the car to see what I can find.

Will update or start a seperate thread as I go along. 

On 2/9/2021 at 7:43 PM, Bradders59 said:

I have arranged to buy the car in the thread below. It should be delivered to me on Saturday.

If being sensible was anything to do with it, I shouldnt really buy it, as I currently wont even have the spare cash to tax and insure it.

I know there is lots of overtime coming up at work in the next few months though, so man maths tells me it will all be ok.

Darren is throwing in the new arms he bought to fix the roof and speed sensor for the speedo, which helps.

Almost no history with the car, so it seems sensible to change the oil / filter and air filter, check the drain holes,then sort the speedo.

After that, tax& insurance.  Ive noticed its wearing Jinyu tyres, and they will have to go as soon as funds allow.

Next, delve into sorting the roof, then go over the rest of the car to see what I can find.

looks like it could be a good project - what did you pay if you dont mind me asking? good luck with the project and make sure you post lots of pics. 

On 2/9/2021 at 7:43 PM, Bradders59 said:

Start a My Ride thread and introduce yourself in the Newbie section. And you've put you location in you profile already 👍which helps people who can offer you local knowledge/assistance.  Lots of knowledge, information and opinions available on here and most if it is accurate, but bring your sense of humour.

Havent paid for it yet, but agreed on £1900, plus £230 delivery via Shipley. Stretched my meagre budget somewhat, but over the next few months I plan on spending a lot of time and some more money on it, to hopefully bring everything up to standard.

Will no doubt be asking lots of questions, and if I get badly stuck, Im 10 minutes from Autostrasse, Coggeshall.

Already introduced myself in the Newbie section. 👍

at least this way you can do all the bits yourself and you know at the end you will have a nice sorted boxster. i bought at the lower end of the market but have enjoyed doing the bits to bring it back up. suspension refresh goes on next month and i cant wait. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived